If I went ahead with WLS....

glzgowlass
on 5/23/11 3:48 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I go to my seminar tonight, so I'm not firmly in any particular camp for WLS.  I was initially interested in the Lap band but am being put off by the seemingly high number of people who are having problems.

I feels so ill most of the time, I expect to have some sort of WLS down the line, though. 

My question is this:  How do people navigate around eating out and the holidays?  I'm asking because I don't feel inclined to broadcast it beyond my immediate family.

There are times however when I am stuck around my in-laws and I'm wondering how I would eat properly without them realizing I've had WLS.  The dietary restirctions seem so severe, I'm wondering if they will buy the "lifestyle change" response to what no doubt will be them coaxing me to eat more at dinner.

I have been out with them before and ended up in places where there was nothing healthy on the menu.

How did other people get around this as I can't be the only one facing this problem?
TXKashmir
on 5/23/11 3:53 am - Grand Prairie, TX
Deciding who to tell about your WLS is a very personal choice. Since you're asking for advice, I will tell you what I would do. I would simply be honest. That way you won't have to keep track of who knows what, and you won't face the risk of being "caught". Most importantly, you can feel free to eat how you need to, and request places to eat which will have good choices for you.

Obviously, I don't know your in-laws, and you probably have good reasons not to tell them, but I just think it's easier to be upfront for the most part. Best of luck in your upcoming journey to health!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

glzgowlass
on 5/23/11 4:39 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Thanks.  Looking forward to the info seminar tonight.  My next stop after that is with the Doctor.  I'm hoping they can recommend a weight loss therapist because I have issues with food and don't want to embark on wLS without the additional help in that corner.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/23/11 4:09 am - Windsor, Canada
It is mostly the first few months out of surgery that it would be a challenge. With time, most of us know exactly what we can eat, how much and handle our eating very well.   Eventually you are able to eat pretty normal portions and people generally do not notice much.

As for your quote:  The dietary restirctions seem so severe, I'm wondering if they will buy the "lifestyle change" response to what no doubt will be them coaxing me to eat more at dinner.
Actually they aren't that restrictive over time. And no one puts in your mouth but you. You'll be fine.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

glzgowlass
on 5/23/11 4:37 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Being less restrictive over time is a good thing.  You are right about who puts food in my mouth and sometimes, people trying to force me to eat something I don't want makes me more stubborn. 
k9ophile
on 5/23/11 4:13 am
I don't know if you've even considered the DS.  One of the reasons the DS was a good choice for me was that it seemed to offer the most reasonable way to eat AFTER surgery.  After I healed and was able to resume eating "normal" food, I take the same size bite and chew it exactly the same way I did before surgery.  I just don't take as many.  Go to the individual surgery forums and see how people live with their surgery.  On the DS forum, there is a daily thread for posting our Bites, Vites, and Exercites. 

As for telling people about your surgery, that is a personal choice.  I can always find something to eat.  Maybe it's an appetizer.  Or I ask the server to modify something.  One thing that really helps others from noticing how you eat is to ask them someting about themsleves.  They're too busy talking about their favorite subejct to notice how you're eating.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

glzgowlass
on 5/23/11 4:33 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
  I would be very interested in DS but it is specifically excluded on my insurance policy.  They allow for VBG, gastric bypass, gastric stapling, and adjustable gastric banding  (I have Tricare Prime)

Luckily, I only see the in-laws a couple of times a year.  So as long as I don't see them too soon after surgery, it sounds like I'd be ok.   I've already mentioned it to my bf and she felt I should be able to lose weight with diet and excercise.

(Like I hadn't thought of that!.  I can lose some weight but then I regain it and more.

At the moment I am "only" about 100lbs overweight, but I am under 5 ft tall and have many health issues because of my weight and I am reaching the stage my mobility is becoming compromised. 
beemerbeeper
on 5/23/11 4:54 am - AL
The DS is worth the hoops of an appeal to get.  If your insurance covers all those other surgeries you will most likely win an appeal to get the DS.  There are folks on the DS forum who can help you with an appeal.

You need to pick your surgery type FIRST and THEN find a surgeon.  A surgeon who doesn't do the DS isn't going to recommend the DS.  It would be like going to a Hundai dealer and gettin information about a Lexus.

The DS has the most normal eating for life.  A bunch of us DSers went on a cruise in February and had NO problem eating the DS way.  And everybody LOST wieght except me lol.

Here's one reason you do NOT want the RnY:

www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

And here's one surgeon's comparison of the RnY, Band and DS:

www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-surgical-procedures.php

For more info on the DS go to www.DSFacts.com

Read all the surgery type forums here on OH.  And especially read the revision forum.

The DS has the best stats for LONG TERM maintenance and THAT is what we all are after!!

~Becky

beemerbeeper
on 5/23/11 5:41 am - AL
To Sue C who posted to me and then blocked me.  (Childishness is not becoming by the way.)

This is what she posted:

Sue C's reply was:
You are a little biased arent you??  I had RNY almost 6 yrs ago and have had no problems.  I have not regained.  I eat very normal.  Everyone is different.  There is no one right surgery for everyone.

You are right Sue C.  I am biased.  I am biased against doctors who LIE about the DS because they can't DO the DS. Or don't mention the DS altoghether when speaking at their seminar because they can't DO the DS.

You are right Sue C.  I am biased towards the surgery with the BEST scientific studies for everything measured in weight loss surgery studies except for control of GERD.

You are right Sue C.  I am biased towards making sure EVERY pre-op know that there are FOUR weight loss surgeries available to them.

You are right Sue C.  I am biased against insurance companies that make patients jump through hoops to get the surgery that is best for them.

Your anecdotal evidence of a successful RnY is MEANINGLESS when compared to SCIENCE. 

Doctors are NOT educating patients.  If you have a problem with me trying to educate people I don't give a rat's ass.  Go on with your blocking of anyone who speaks with knowledge about SCIENCE.

~Becky

Sue C
on 5/23/11 6:23 am - Fargo, ND
I have never blocked anyone! But guess you could be the first.

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

Most Active