Possible Fibro and running questions

Feystorm
on 11/17/12 10:49 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

It seems more and more like my doctor is going to come back with a diagnosis of a fibromyalgia in regards to all my years long medical problems.  It seems like it is becoming more of a distinct possibility.    Previously my doctor had thought that it was pinched nerves in my back (one of my last many diagnosis) and said I couldn't run. :(

I have been looking forward to getting into the couch to 5k program.  My good friend, Alison, is going to start the program when she is recovered from her plastics and released to exercise again. I have been really looking forward to doing this program with her.  

My question is this: if the diagnosis is really fibro - does anyone know if the running and exercise restrictions will remain?  I am doing all the research I can online, but haven't found where it is expressly restricted.  Any information on this question, or any insights into this diagnosis will be appreciated.  

Thanks everyone.

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

missmomof4
on 11/17/12 11:54 am
RNY on 09/10/12
My doctor told me that the only thing that they have found to actually help fibro is exercise and she encouraged me to do all sorts. Running for me isn't possible because of sciatic pain, bu****er aerobics has helped.

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
walterswife
on 11/17/12 9:40 pm

I With fibromyalgia many years ago. One of the things that the doctor told me was that conditioning and exercise would help. I would talk to my doctor about it but I think you may be okay.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Carol S.
on 11/17/12 9:51 pm - Milwaukee, WI

I don't have fibro but I am a runner.  If your Dr. clears you to run I would definitely do it.  Running is a wonderful way to lift your spirits and get you exercise in.  I mix it up with Jillian Michaels workouts so my upper body gets a good workout too.  Running has really been a positive experience for me.  I hope you enjoy it too.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

KatCooper
on 11/17/12 11:40 pm - Collierville, TN

Exercise really does help with Fibro pain.  I was diagnosed several years ago and since the weight loss and running, I feel amazing and rarely have a fibro flare.

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Feystorm
on 11/18/12 2:31 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

Thanks everyone for the information and replies.  I think I will take up the program and see how it goes.  If I do get the diagnosis, I think it will be a relief after years of all kinds of weird diagnosis to get one that has an answer or at least a plan.

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Allison P.
on 11/19/12 10:03 am - Santa Cruz, CA

I would do yoga and a fast walk one to two times a week. Warm climates are better and some believe thay fibromyalgia is a sleep disorder and you need more deep REM sleep  Also if you have sleep apnea, this will contribute to the pain syndrome..

Feystorm
on 11/19/12 11:47 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

I have been doing yoga two or three times a week, and a normal walk (based on dr's orders) nightly.  I was bad on sleep, but have been getting better the past couple months, however the past couple of months have seen the pain increase (stress is highly up).  I don't have sleep apnea, might have pre-op, but no longer. 

I am glad that I moved to SoCal from WI :)  lol but my symptoms are just progressing.  

Most Active