Best way to restart the program?

cinnie
on 1/5/14 9:36 am - Locust, NC

I did really well for the first 18 mo. after my surgery, and nearly hit my goal.  Then there were marriage problems, followed by a very long, ugly divorce process involving the police, the court, lots of money going out, etc.  Reverting to old patterns, I sat feeling sorry for myself and angry at him and at the cir****tances, and ate myself to a 30 lb. weight gain.  I am so disgusted with myself now, feeling tired and scared that I'll never be able to get back on track.  I began seeing a professional & have gotten started on an antidepressant.  I see light at the end of the tunnel, but how do I get there?   For those that have done this a long time, what is the best way for me to get back on track?  Should I start again with liquids, or just begin by weighing my food and sticking to the high protein meals?  I really, really want to start exercising again and feeling better about myself.  Any advice is much appreciated!

billmacc7
on 1/5/14 10:44 am - MA

Sorry to hear of your marital issues. In terms of getting back on track, these  help me:

1. Log all of your food

2.  Be sure to get in at leastt 64 oz of H20

3.  Exercise

4. Vitamins to be sure.

Hope you are quickly back on track!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

AnneGG
on 1/5/14 11:06 am, edited 1/5/14 11:07 am

What Bill Mac said, plus make a plan with doable steps and stick to it day by day.

One of my favorite quotes: "Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has left you."

All in all in the grand scheme of things, 30 lbs is not all that much given the stress you have been under. Stress does tend to make us revert to old patterns, that's for sure. Sorry for the crap you have gone through- that must have been awful for you. Glad you're seeing a professional and getting on appropriate meds. You're already starting to dig yourself out of the hole!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Laura in Texas
on 1/5/14 12:03 pm

I agree with Bill's reply.

Also, learn to forgive yourself when you slip up and get right back on track. Shoot for 90% compliance. you do not have to be perfect.

Hang in there!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/14 12:46 pm - OH

Yep, what the others have already said.  

Do NOT go back to a liquid diet... That will just reinforce the idea (and psychological pitfalls of) dieting.  Going back to basics, though, will reinforce the healthy eating habits that you need to control your weight long term.

You CAN do this!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy R.
on 1/7/14 7:00 am

Good for you for catching this at 30lbs!  A lot of folks don't resolve it until it's gotten much worse. Everyone has good advice=)  Lots of us have battled re-gain and the solutions are as individual as each of us are.  The good news is that you get to design your individual weight "re-loss" plan.  I might even suggest that you think of it more as a permanent plan for eating instead of slipping into the diet mentality. At least that works best for me personally.

The only thing I would add is a suggestion to post this on the Sleeve Forum.  You're on the Main Board and most of your answers have been from us RnY's.  Your fellow sleevers may have some additional helpful suggestions.  I don't think anything they would say would conflict with what's been said here, but it wouldn't hurt to hear thoughts from those whose insides look like yours.

Best of luck to you in your journey

amy

Oh and I guess I actually have one more suggestion: the Back on Track Together Forum here on OH.  Don't know how much traffic it's getting at the moment, but it is another resource here to look into.

Most Active