Coffee and vitamins

MMmom
on 3/2/14 10:19 pm

Question for all you vitamin gurus.  I have been reading conflicting stories on caffeine(coffee in particular) and lack of absorption of vitamins when taken together.

I have been having a protein coffee with my B complex, biotin, calcium chews, omegas,  and B 6/12 folic acid. What are your opinions on coffee/vitamins?

I just had my blood test done and will be getting results and meeting with dr next week.  I guess I'll see if it has effected me, but would like to hear from other on the subject.

M&M

AnneGG
on 3/2/14 11:02 pm

I've been drinking regular coffee, a couple of cups a day, since a month out of surgery with my surgeon's approval. My blood levels since surgery have always been excellent.

Maybe you want to ask your doctor when you meet with him/her?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

PetHairMagnet
on 3/3/14 3:32 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My doctor does not believe there is any negative impact from taking vitamins at the time you drink coffee. I take my advice from him. I am sure there are others with 180 degree views from that and those that fall in the middle. 

But I will say that my husband has his labs done regularly, drinks coffee like it is going out of style and has no deficiencies. I am not yet a year out and have no deficiencies, but being newer post-op, it is possible some of it my body would be making up for in the short term. But my husband is 18 months out and his labs last month were 'stellar' at the higher range for virtually everything and nothing at the low end. 

So there is one opinion for you. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/3/14 3:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The only thing I know for sure that caffeine interferes with is iron absorption. Tannins in tea also interfere with iron.

Lots of things actually can interfere with iron, so I always take that separate from everything else by two hours.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MMmom
on 3/3/14 3:55 am

Thanks everyone for answering.  I do drink a lot of coffee, but never with my iron/multivitamins.  I let you know how my blood work is next week.

M&M

QoftheU
on 3/3/14 6:36 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

All I can say is my surgeon says: no caffeine ever because according to him, 1) it's a diuretic (which it is), 2) can cause vitamin absorption issues, 3) can potentially create ulcers, 4) can contribute to reflux (and that actually happened to me when I had my band - after I stopped caffeine my reflux went away).

All doctors are different, but I'm going by what's happened to me, so I avoid caffeine MOSTLY - every now and then I have some tho!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 3/3/14 8:02 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Iron is the last thing I take before I go to bed.  I do drink 2 coffees every day though and my labs are fine.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Most Active