I'm 5 weeks out lost 30lbs but

Cjbaby1018
on 8/2/14 6:57 am - Forney, TX

I'm 5 weeks out lost 30lbs but My cloths are still not fitting the same I thought by now I would have gone down. Am I over expecting? Seems like others that had the surgery they've gone down in sizes? Any recommendations I'm so depressed I'm not eating so how am I not losing.

GretchenIV
on 8/2/14 8:19 am

Every body (literally) is unique and every one loses weight at different rate and speed, so just concentrate on yourself and not what successes others are having and comparing yourself to them.  You do not want to not eat, because that will put your body in starvation mode and it will cling to any fat that it has and when you do eat - your body won't know when it will be fed again, so it will hold on to that food for storage because you aren't eating on a steady, regular basis.  Make nutritious food choices, (plenty of protein, veggies and good fats [they do exist, do a little research on youtube, I saw some videos there]) drink sufficien****er and exercise, even if it's just walking for 30 minutes a day. But stay consistent and believe you me, you will notice the changes, but it takes time. Only 5 weeks out and 30 lbs lost is great and you shouldn't be complaining, but finding ways to stay motivated, because you will eventually hit that plateau when you aren't losing any weight at all. 

So while you are fresh out of surgery, take advantage of the quick weight drop and I was told the first 6 months at least are the honeymoon phase and the weight drops easiest. So please take advantage of that and exercise your earnest best, because it will count especially and impact your progress quickest in this beginning phase of your weight loss journey. 

Shirley Gretchen I.V.

Gwen M.
on 8/2/14 8:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My clothes took 40-50 pounds to need replacing because they had all been tight and ill-fitting when I had surgery!  So before they got loose, they had to actually get to the point where they fit well!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kerniec
on 8/2/14 10:45 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14

I'm a revision, and I lost weight with the crapband before.  If you drink your protein and drink your water, you will lose weight, as long as you don't consume many carbs and especially ZERO bad carbs.  It's impossible not to with a restricted stomach size.  Promise!!!!!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

mrsbaggins
on 8/2/14 12:25 pm

You may have simply plateaued. If so, it's normal. I found it helpful to make a spreadsheet and take my measurements the 1st of every month. I had some months I didn't lose an ounce, but I lost inches. And keep in mind you didn't  gain weight overnight. It's a long steady process. Good luck! 11 years out and still maintaining.

Laura in Texas
on 8/2/14 10:42 pm

It takes a larger amount of weight loss to go down between larger sizes. Now for me, it only takes about 5 pounds to go up or down in size. Make sure you are getting your protein and water. Just keep following your plan and try not to focus on the numbers. Easier said than done, I know. Hang in there!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/3/14 2:07 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On August 3, 2014 at 5:42 AM Pacific Time, Laura in Texas wrote:

It takes a larger amount of weight loss to go down between larger sizes. Now for me, it only takes about 5 pounds to go up or down in size. Make sure you are getting your protein and water. Just keep following your plan and try not to focus on the numbers. Easier said than done, I know. Hang in there!!

^^^ This.  I started at a 28/30 -- and I had lost nearly 50 pounds before that translated into a size.  I was very frustrated.  What she says is so true.  As the sizes get smaller, so does the amount of weight between them.  I don't know where you are starting or which surgery you've had -- but most of us tend to lose from the top down.  So, maybe this will help you:

28/30 

26 -- after 50 lbs

24 -- after 70 lbs

22 -- after 85-90 lbs

20 -- after 100-110 lbs

18 - after 120 lbs

16 -- after 130 lbs.

You can see, it moves a lot more quickly now (less weight between sizes) -- and I am hoping that it gets even less because single digit sizes… here I come!!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MsBatt
on 8/3/14 1:57 am

The first places I noticed having lost weight was my hands and feet.

Jules78
on 8/3/14 2:10 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

I agree completely with GwenMo on this. I've lost 51 pounds and my clothes are just now starting to feel too loose. All my clothes were too tight before. 

youtube channel- silkiilocks

Dianalion
on 8/3/14 11:37 am

It took 50lbs for me to drop in clothing size. My first 30 was wonderful. Shoes that were snug began to feel roomy and comfortable.  Bending over became easier and rings twirled on my fingers. Celebrate the little changes and the big ones will soon follow.  

Most Active