RV'ing after WLS?

Joy64
on 8/18/16 12:00 pm
RNY on 11/08/16

I'm wondering if there are any full-time RV'ers on this forum? Hubby and I plan to head out full-time RV'ing in a few years and the idea of life on the road at my current weight does have an impact on my decision to have surgery. I'm pretty sure I don't fit in most RV showers right now and I just think living the nomadic lifestyle will be really hard at my current weight. I'm scheduled to meet the surgeon next week and will decide after that if I will go forward, and with what kind of WLS.

If there are any full-time, or even part-time, RV people out there, what are your experiences related to WLS?

Thanks for sharing.

pr31
on 8/18/16 12:25 pm

I would love to become a "nomad" but for now have to settle for one or two weeks a year.  We actually traded in our old camper early this year and a big reason was the size of the bathroom.  I couldn't sit on the toilet and close the door.  Even though I'm hoping to be much smaller soon, I still love my new RV camper bathroom. It's a small camper, but layed off so much better than the old one.   We like to take hikes when we camp and when we went last Fall I wasn't able to do anything other than sit by the fire and even that was becoming difficult to fit in the chair.  We'll be going in a few weeks and I'm down a good 70 lbs. from the last time.  I still have a long way to go but it's a good start.  I just tried on my hiking pants that I haven't been able to wear for 2 years and they are now loose.  WLS is definitely a personal decision.  It took me years of losing, gaining, losing, gaining, etc. before I made the decision.  So far I'm glad I did.  Best wishes with whatever you decide and Happy Trails!

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Joy64
on 8/18/16 12:34 pm
RNY on 11/08/16

What's your new rig? We're debating between a fifth-wheel and a class C or A. Hubby likes the class A's but I'm thinking smaller. Anyway, I get what you said about the toilet. When we go RV shopping, I can't imagine using those bathrooms cause they are all so small. It's the only thing I don't like about it. I'm hoping by the time we are ready to roll, I'll be much smaller.   

pr31
on 8/19/16 5:36 am

We went smaller - it great for our use, but I wouldn't see it working for full-time living.  It's a 25 ft. Flagstaff Microlite.  It has a relatively new feature - a Murphy bed, which makes it much roomier inside.  It actually seems bigger than the larger trailer we traded in.  Everything is totally open (except the bathroom in the back).  It has much more storage and counter space than our old one as well.  All in all, just a much better layout for our needs.  For me personally - I would probably go with the fifth-wheel.  We looked in some of those just for fun when we were shopping and they were awesome.  With a Class C or A you almost have to tow another vehicle anyhow and to me that seems like a waste.  But I'm sure you'll love whatever you decide!

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Kudzu
on 8/18/16 12:29 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

Check over on the VSG Maintence Forum. They let me hang out with them and there are a few there. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Joy64
on 8/18/16 12:43 pm
RNY on 11/08/16

Thanks! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/18/16 12:43 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I have no experience, but I think it sounds like a great way to travel post-op! It can be difficult to find good food choices when you're travelling sometimes, but having access to your own little pantry and fridge full of protein snacks and whatnot would make things a lot easier to manage!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ginnny
on 8/18/16 12:49 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

We have a 28' travel trailer, for two, no bunks, tip outs on both sides, free standing table and chairs and an island!  Our bathroom is huge (for a trailer) with a full size shower you can fit two in there   .... We love it!

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Joy64
on 8/18/16 1:05 pm
RNY on 11/08/16

Nice! There's only the two of us also and I'm hoping to keeps hubs from getting anything too big. 28' to 30' is about right I think. Have you noticed anything about RV'ing being better since your WLS? 

karenp8
on 8/18/16 3:06 pm - Brighton, IL

Hubby and I camp about every other week at state parks here in Illinois. When my hubby retired last year we bought a used 1995 class c Jayco Eagle. We recently sold it and bought a 2010 Jayco Melbourne. We love it. It's great to be able to have a frig full of food that is on plan for me. Everything is easier post surgery and now I hike daily with my boxer when we camp-- probably 5 or more miles a day. I am 4 years out from surgery and have been below goal for over three years. I had RNY at a high weight of 273. I had diabetes,high cholesterol and triglycerides and uncontrolled high blood pressure. I was out of breath going down my basement steps and wore a tight size 26. I now wear a size 0 or 1 (who knew that was  a real size) and weigh 118 to 123 at 5 feet 61/2 inches. No diabetes,high cholesterol or triglycerides anymore either. Blood pressure is well controlled on one low dose pill too. I walk daily over 3 miles for fun and can do anything I set my mind too. No more worrying if I will fit in a booth or if a lawn chair will hold my weight. Best decision I ever made. Before and after pics to follow

Most Active