food intolerance

dreamer1234
on 1/21/19 8:47 pm

i am 4 months post op and doing great but i have noticed that i can no longer tolerate certain foods such as red meat, nuts, anything with wheat in it, grapes and frozen berries. is this something that is temporary or permanent which i hope? has anyone else had this problem before? thanks

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/22/19 7:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

When you say you cannot tolerate them, what sort of reaction are you having?

Are you measuring appropriately small portions, taking tiny bites, and chewing well?

What sort of "anything with wheat in it" are you having? At 4 months out you should be avoiding anything carby, and fruit is also best saved for maintenance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/22/19 7:41 am

Only time would tell. And depends what do you mean "intolerances".

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Candrews1
on 1/22/19 9:19 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

I approaching 4 years out and there are some foods that I simply cant eat because they still cause dumping. Mine are anything with red sauce (ie spaghetti, lasagna etc) and ice cream (which I'm sure is because of the milk and sugar content). Besides that, everything else is OK for me just in smaller quantities.

Pulled this off of a website:

Solid foods

After about eight weeks on the gastric bypass diet, you can gradually return to eating firmer foods. Start with eating three meals a day, with each meal consisting of 1 to 1-1/2 cups of food. It's important to stop eating before you feel completely full.

Depending on how you tolerate solid food, you may be able to vary the number of meals and amount of food at each meal. Talk to your dietitian about what's best for you.

Try new foods one at a time. Certain foods may cause pain, nausea or vomiting after gastric bypass surgery.

Foods that can cause problems at this stage include:

• Breads
  • Carbonated drinks
  • Raw vegetables
  • Cooked fibrous vegetables, such as celery, broccoli, corn or cabbage
  • Tough meats or meats with gristle
  • Red meat
  • Fried foods
  • Highly seasoned or spicy foods
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Popcorn

Over time, you might be able to try some of these foods again, with the guidance of your doctor.

Height=5"4' Age=49 RNY=04/17/2015

HW=285, CW=205, LW=197, GW=195

My exercise motto-Further or faster!!!

Liz J.
on 1/24/19 2:16 pm
DS on 11/29/16

I think with everything being moved around on our insides, we all have different food in tolerances. I can eat any cooked fish that hot, including tuna but try a tuna salad or tuna stuff avocado and NOPE! Things I can't eat:

Pasta

Cold tuna

Anything by Quest

All bread except sourdough (only small amounts still)

Green Tea of any kind

High Fructose Corn Syrup (This is hard!)

I'm sure I'll run into other food I can't eat as I add more things back into my diet.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

PrivateCitizen
on 1/26/19 1:17 am

"High Fructose Corn Syrup (This is hard!)"

Do you mean foods with that 'sweeter', or fructose sweeter in liquid drinks? Do you react with abdominal pain, nausea or?

My understanding is fructose is not metabolized as immediate fuel energy but stored in the liver until needed. and may contribute to visceral fat around the organs. (hence the term 'skinny fat' - looking normal weight, but with visceral fat)

thanks

Liz J.
on 1/28/19 6:16 am
DS on 11/29/16

I've been allergic to HFC since I was a child. I first get a really red face, then hives start on my legs, if I ate a lot (think more than 1 teaspoon of ketchup), gas, bloating and abdominal pain are next, and last the hives get worse. Not fun at all...

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

VSGAnn2014
on 1/28/19 1:02 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

FYI, I'm 4.5 years post-op (I was sleeved -- not sure which WLS you had, so my experience may vary considerably from yours).

Anyway, at four months post-op there were lots of things I couldn't stomach. For instance, I remember that I I wasn't doing well with fish (except salmon) or beef in the form of steak.

Also FYI, at four months post-op I was still eating only about 800 calories daily. My old My Fitness Pal records show that at four months out I was eating at least one protein shake a day, chicken (which went down OK for me), the aforementioned salmon, Greek yogurt, cheese (full fat), non-fat refried beans (loved that stuff, especially with melted cheese and salsa!), beef chili (made with ground beef, which I was really into at that time), green beans, spaghetti squash, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries.

I couldn't handle lettuces of any kinds until longer than a year post-op. Now I eat salads and all veggies, cooked or raw, like they're going out of style! :)

Honestly, I'm not sure others' experiences at four months post-op mean all that much, since I think our tummies' preferences are a little individualized around that tenure.

However, I can tell you that several years out most of us (although not all) can now eat anything and everything with no trouble at all. For instance, for several years now I've aimed for eight veggies / fruits daily. I don't eat these things very often, but I can now eat bread and pasta. And obviously we shouldn't eat any and everything just because it goes down easily. The whole point of WLS is to take this great opportunity to completely reset what and how much and how we eat and relate to food.

Bottom line: Don't assume any struggles you're having now with specific foods will continue. As the saying goes, those foods aren't leaving the planet, and you can continue to try them out in the future to see how you tolerate them.

Best wishes! :)

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active