Why watch "My 600 Pound Life"?

LuckyLoser
on 3/6/19 3:18 am, edited 3/6/19 3:20 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hello Everyone:

I will start off my post by saying that I am one of those people who do no****ch TV on a regular basis. In general, I don't find it very entertaining or engaging.

At various times, I have seen others post on OH about TV shows regarding individuals who are SMO, such as "My 600 Pound Life. " Sometimes, they seem to get really emotionally tied up with the SMO individuals' struggles to lose weight.

I will admit that I have never watched a full episode of "My 600 Pound Life"--only clips. This may be creating a bias. Also, I work in the health care field and this may also play a role in my aversion to these type of shows.

As you travel through your own weight loss journey, how do you feel about these types of TV shows? Do you watch them? What do you feel that you get out of watching these kind of TV shows?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply to my questions!

---Joyce

(Edited to correct several spelling errors.)

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

catwoman7
on 3/6/19 6:44 am
RNY on 06/03/15

not a TV person, either - I rarely turn mine on and we haven't had cable in YEARS, but I've seen a few 600 lb Life episodes on youtube. Occasionally I find it interesting, but mostly not - the shows are very formulaic and they often show things that I find very exploitative - like showing them taking a shower or getting sponge baths from their spouses or kids. I don't know why they find it necessary to humiliate people like that. When I do watch it (which is like three times a year), I can only manage one episode. So no, I don't really like it. Plus I think it gives normies a weird perception of WLS patients. There's a British show on WLS that I've heard is better and more realistic, but I've never seen it.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Gwen M.
on 3/6/19 8:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I thought the first season of the show was lovely. It followed people for a year and really showed them working the program.

The format changed for subsequent seasons. Now it just seems like so much fat shaming and drama-mongering. I find the production of the show (not the people on it) to be disgusting and predatory.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/6/19 1:23 pm

I watch it to remind myself that adding one pound at a time may lead to things like that. That even after WLS, people can not lose or even gain, even in the first year after the surgery.

It is o easy to ignore 1 lb, that can turn into 5, then into 20, etc.. I still learn things from it, like the psychological help so many of us can benefit from.

I hate some of the things they make the SMO people to do. The shower scene or thinks as personal as being on the toilet. I think a very short glimpse of stuff like that would be more than enough to indicate how tough is day to day simple life of an SMO person can be.

I would no longer watch any Biggest Loser Shows because I really hated the approach to the weight loss. I think first few years was not too bad, but after the stories about what was really going on there. (i.e. the water pills, caffeine pills, etc.)

Making some MO person work out so much that they would throw up - is, IMO a form of abuse. Plus working out ignoring injury like, i.e pulled muscle, bones fractures, etc. could not be good for anyone. And the verbal abuse. That was horrible.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

TracyH968
on 3/6/19 6:41 pm

I have watched nearly every episode. I am a people watcher. I am curious about the kinds of things that motivate people to do what they do. How the interact with their loved ones. So many of these folks are manipulative. I'm pleasantly pleased when there's a genuinely nice person on the show.

There are things about the show that bother me. I don't get why we have to watch each of them in the shower. It would be enough to understand how they care for themselves. It's sometimes too much for me to watch. I am also disturbed by the number of times they show the tires on a vehicle when the SMO gets into the car. Like, really?

I would much rather see more about the overall journey of the person involved. Or a behind the scenes with Dr. Now or someone in his office. And a follow up 1 year later. I cheer for their successes. I'd love to see more.

TV Junkie Here

PrivateCitizen
on 3/8/19 7:31 pm

I agree- the reality programs that COULD help others has devolved to the worst of 'voyerism' I think. A documentary that use to be educational, and inspirational is just too boring for TV now, and has to be erotic, exotic or outrageous to keep younger viewers.

I recall watching Little Women LA from genuine interest in their lives, but it was quickly clear it wasn't about their life or struggles as small people, each show got more and more bizarre with vagina steaming, or sex toy parties, the 4" fingernails, and wigs, etc are just extreme, and all of them ARE 'actors' who are complicit in shock value for ratings. The one 'normal couple' just left after season one, and I see why.

Reality shows are all the SAME really- for the show programmers they are the CHEAPEST to do. Dr. Now had an ugly divorce after 25 yrs. she got 70% of his 'estate' all he has left now IS the show...and that 'expose' format seems to work, which is disgusting.

Biggest Loser ALWAYS shows them with their huge gut hanging OVER their pants, simply for shock value, they are forced to follow what is asked of them, to the point of being seen nationwide puking, and crying and humiliating themselves. for ratings.

I think most shows have devolved to a full "schadenfreude pleasure show" for the watchers..I know many who would think the worst of humans with issues and feel free to demonize or dismiss them further.

I'd like to know more about the process, and not see those who are always cheating with their food, never seem to have heard of the 1200 calorie higher protein program ---after all these years!!!!, and have NEVER even tried to do one day of a diet ? that seems too odd, and leads me to think they are chosen for shock value also; but the one or two who commit seriously I'd love to learn more about their journey.

Pure_Prairie
on 3/7/19 6:22 am
VSG on 01/10/19

I think I fall into 2 categories here, people watcher & psychology.

I used to watch Hoarders and I was always listening for "loss" you could almost always find an element of loss in their story. example: My maternal grandmother was a hoarder and she and all of her siblings were dropped off at "the home" after their father died, when they were children, during the depression. So many of the stories told were of death of a loved one, a job loss, suffering deprivation as a child; you could see where loss could trigger this type of extreme behavioral coping. I often thought the key to breaking that cycle was much like ours, therapy. If they only cleaned they would just repeat the behavior because they hadn't coped with their loss.

I listen for trauma and/or loss when I watch 600#. I would say at least 75% of the women report a sexual assault/trauma within their stories. I often wish the show focused more on that aspect, (not their actual sessions) but I would love to hear Dr. Now say more often, "this is something I cannot fix with surgery. You need to deal with your trauma and/or loss prior to WLS in order to be successful post op."

As I watch I feel better that others have similar struggles, i.e. "I am not alone." I canno****ch the surgical portions, yikes! I sometimes canno****ch the beginning when they show them eating mass quantities of food. I agree with a previous poster that there seems to be too much of the "see what they look like!" moments, and how dehumanizing that is.

At the end of some I am so happy for these people who fought their trauma/loss and came out with a new life and new hope. I would not call myself a regular viewer, not having seen the latest episodes, so these are my thoughts on the ones that I have seen.

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

diane S.
on 3/8/19 12:12 pm

Years ago I watched many weight loss shows like Big Medicine and others. Its what gave me the idea to consider WLS. One show particularly touched me - a teenage boy who had rough times and finally had WLS. It ended with him being able to skate board with his friends - something he had always been to fat to do. It was moving.

I also like to watch 600 pound life because I like to see people triumph over their difficulties. I want to slap those who don't do what doctor says. Anyway, it's interesting. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

NYMom222
on 3/8/19 8:27 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I haven'****ched it in awhile as I haven't had cable for 2 years, but considered it my version of 'scared straight ' ... that could be me.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ShanaC
on 3/8/19 11:05 pm - Cleveland, OH

The 600 lb Life show helped me get focused. I hadn't really lost any significant amount of weight ever in my life (30 lbs at the most). I was always on the gaining end every month. That show showed me what I could end up being. Long story, short: Scared & anxious... almost 2 years ago I moved, got a job & was able to get gastric bypass surgery this past January. I had a little bump in my journey if you read any of my past posts, but was fixed & on the mend now.

Jan. 22, 2019 had RNY surgery. Please send positive thoughts and prayers my way. Thanks!

Height 5'10" / HW 330 / CW 295

Most Active