Weighing Daily

Liz J.
on 6/3/19 8:44 am
DS on 11/29/16

I weigh daily even during my resent regain of a few pounds. I think it helped me keep it to only a few pounds, not more. Right now I'm only a 1/2 pound over what my highest is allowed. Hopefully I'll be back in the zone by Wednesday!

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

jmk187
on 6/3/19 9:12 pm, edited 6/3/19 2:13 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I weigh myself once a week. Same day and time..Preferably after i use the bathroom right when i wake up. My program told me to do once weekly weigh-ins so i don't drive myself crazy. Since weight always goes up n down. I agreed with them.

Edited to say I used to weigh myself daily and it was driving me crazy. I got in the habit of doing once weekly weighing after my stay in Eating Disorder treatment.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/8/19 9:22 am

That worked for me when I was losing weight. But a few years in maintenance, I realized that this was not going to work for me.

At my goal I know my weight can fluctuate within 5 lbs (or more in some extreme situation). So weighing myself once a week,I would never see my "real weight". Weighing daily (when I am at home) allows me to see the fluctuations and neither panic that I "gained 5 lbs", or that at me new lowest weight. I.e. week of May 26, my highest weight was 144 (a fluke) and 137.5 withq an average of 139. Neither weight represent my weight. 144 was in the morning when didn't have time for BM and I did not sleep enough the night before, plus my knee were swollen. By the next morning my weight dropped to 138.9. that number was more realistic. But if my weight days was in the day of my lowest or highest weight, that would be misleading.

When you get to the goal, and start maintenance, it may be a good idea to weigh yourself a few times a week, to see how stable the goal is.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jmk187
on 6/8/19 2:30 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Yea I thought about switching to a daily weigh or a few times a week weigh when i get to goal. Pretty much for the reasons that you gave. I will play it by ear. In the past when I weighed daily it got out of hand and I was weighing multiple times a day, obsessing over it.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/9/19 2:11 pm

"... In the past when I weighed daily it got out of hand and I was weighing multiple times a day, obsessing over it...."

ditto....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dreamer1234
on 6/4/19 4:57 am

i am alittle obsessive about 2 things, weighing in everyday and constantly reading labels. if i don't weigh in everyday then that is a bad thing for me. for me i have to keep constant tabs on my weight, that is just the way it has to be. if i gain a pound or 2 i can always tell it in my feet as they swell up which sounds weird. i have a set of talking scales which i love.

NYMom222
on 6/4/19 8:02 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I do weigh daily, but needed to force myself take a few mental breaks along the way. We fixate on maintaining a single number out of fear, but reality is there is a range of normal, that may or may not coincide with the BMI charts. Even people who have never had a weight problem - have a range of normal. I will not define that, because at 5'11" tall my range of normal may be different than yours. I have just realized that every little movement is not the dreaded regain.

Last year when I went for my Bariatric Surgeon check up I did not allow myself to be weighed and just gave them my weight. It was late in the day, and I didn't need that kind of negativity in my life. Ha. Anyway Doc was like - why no scale? I responded- I figure you can see with your eyes how I am doing. He also said I was wrong on how much I said I weighed, I could not possibly weigh that much.

So yes weigh everyday, but brain balance is necessary.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/19 5:26 pm

I weigh daily but only record on Mondays, even if I'm down. Recording allows me to see trends and not get so hung up on daily fluctuations. I'm early days yet, but I think I'll continue this.

Just got back vacation and jumped on the scale as soon as I got home because it was Monday.

chevtow41
on 6/5/19 2:57 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I weigh maybe once a week, sometimes every couple weeks. I know when I'm eating poorly and don't need the scale to tell me. I will not become obsessed with the number or the scale. Don't even own a scale

btm61
on 6/6/19 8:59 pm

I used to work with a guy who would check his Money Market account 3 or 4 times per day. One hour he'd be happy because it was up, the next he was lamenting his loss. There is something patently unhealthy about getting on a scale every day, and it's called obsession. Though I don't know for sure because you don't say one way or the other, but a food diary, such as myfitnesspal.com (it's free) will help you monitor your intake in a much healthier way. It's one thing to know where you stand on your intake, it's quite another to get all worked up about a 1 or 2 pound gain. It is almost a guarantee that your weight will vary from day to day, and it will do so because of any of 100 variables, none of which have any relationship to how much you put in your mouth on any given day. I weigh myself about every 7-10 days, and even that isn't a guarantee, but monitor my food intake constantly. Myfitnesspal also allows you to track your micronutrients as well, because losing and/or maintaining weight is more than just counting calories.

Most Active