How often do you weigh yourself?

TJFox
on 9/24/20 7:38 am

After I had my surgery, I used to be obsessed with the scale and weigh myself every single day. But now, I hardly weigh myself at all. Maybe once a month if that. It seems I now have a fear of the scale where in the beginning it was just the opposite. How things change. I guess I just don't want to know if I have gained weight and if I feel like I have I stay away from the scale. That's probably not a good thing. Do you weigh in often? Or not at all?

Tekish
on 9/24/20 7:46 am
On September 24, 2020 at 2:38 PM Pacific Time, TJFox wrote:

After I had my surgery, I used to be obsessed with the scale and weigh myself every single day. But now, I hardly weigh myself at all. Maybe once a month if that. It seems I now have a fear of the scale where in the beginning it was just the opposite. How things change. I guess I just don't want to know if I have gained weight and if I feel like I have I stay away from the scale. That's probably not a good thing. Do you weigh in often? Or not at all?

I weigh once a year at my annual physical.

When I had my RNY I was too large for all but my surgeon's scale, so for the first 8 or so months I only had a monthly weight. Once I was able to weigh at home I did a a few times for the novelty of it. After that I didn't bother.

My measure of success is how I feel and what I do.

Good luck,

Tek

TJFox
on 9/25/20 6:06 am

I think I am headed for weighing once a year too. I can tell my body and if I have gained some weight and need to get back on track. The scale can be depressing.

Tekish
on 9/25/20 7:31 am
On September 25, 2020 at 1:06 PM Pacific Time, TJFox wrote:

I think I am headed for weighing once a year too. I can tell my body and if I have gained some weight and need to get back on track. The scale can be depressing.

Just remember you must be brutally honest with yourself. We lie best to ourselves.

Good luck,

Tek

White Dove
on 9/25/20 7:51 am - Warren, OH

When you get on a plan that is working for you, then the scale can be a fun thing to do. I knew people who were told by their doctors after surgery not to weigh themselves, just wait for the doctor's office to do it.

I felt like they missed the excitement of watching the pounds drop off and seeing a lower number every few days. I have had several times where I gained weight after surgery and had to lose it again. I knew it was going up because of my daily weighing but still forced myself to face that scale every day.

When I get back to losing, it is a pleasure to watch the number on the scale go down. In May I had a kidney stone that put me in the hospital for three days. They had me on IV's and I gained 20 pounds in those three days. Even with a shot of Lasix, it was more than a week before that 20 pounds left. Remembering how I felt with all that extra weight is a good reminder of how hard it is to carry extra weight.

I have seen so many people get weight loss surgery, get to goal, and then gain it back. I made up my mind that I was going to do whatever i can not to have that happen to me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tekish
on 9/25/20 8:48 am
On September 25, 2020 at 2:51 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

When you get on a plan that is working for you, then the scale can be a fun thing to do. I knew people who were told by their doctors after surgery not to weigh themselves, just wait for the doctor's office to do it.

I felt like they missed the excitement of watching the pounds drop off and seeing a lower number every few days. I have had several times where I gained weight after surgery and had to lose it again. I knew it was going up because of my daily weighing but still forced myself to face that scale every day.

When I get back to losing, it is a pleasure to watch the number on the scale go down. In May I had a kidney stone that put me in the hospital for three days. They had me on IV's and I gained 20 pounds in those three days. Even with a shot of Lasix, it was more than a week before that 20 pounds left. Remembering how I felt with all that extra weight is a good reminder of how hard it is to carry extra weight.

I have seen so many people get weight loss surgery, get to goal, and then gain it back. I made up my mind that I was going to do whatever i can not to have that happen to me.

As we've both read here even folks on a plan working for them can be vexed if the scale returns a bad number. Just as you were vexed about 20 transient pounds you knew were not about compliance.

And, yes, we've seen excited posts when a 'good' number appears on the scale. That was fun.

Just because I advocate not letting a scale rule your life it does not mean I am advocating no accountability. Just different accountability.

In other words, I violently agree with you.

Folks need to do what works for them. Never weigh or have a scale surgically implanted in your butt, if it helps compliance and adds joy to your life then it's working for you.

Tek

Want2beMe
on 9/24/20 8:42 am, edited 9/24/20 3:03 am
VSG on 08/17/20

I attend TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) and we weigh in weekly. We record a food log, it helps see why our weight may have fluctuated.

My after care from surgery has me weigh in for my one month next week, then 3 month, 6 month, and then yearly.

TJFox
on 9/25/20 6:11 am

I had never heard of TOPS and had to look it up. I see there are meetings right in my small town. I am surprised. I am glad you found a program that is working with you. My aftercare program had me weigh in just as yours is.

ks76
on 9/30/20 1:43 pm
RNY on 11/29/17

My mom did TOPS in the 80's when I was a young child, I remember sitting at the meetings with her for them! Didn't even know it was still a thing any more

Highest Weight: 315, Day Of Surgery: 291.5 CW 184

Dee_Caprini
on 9/24/20 10:05 am

I maybe weight myself once a week to see how things are going. I am really trying not to gain weight since I am finding myself home a heck of a lot more than previous years. I find myself aimlessly snacking or munching on what the kids don't eat.

Most Active