100less’s Posts

100less
on 11/5/17 12:25 am, edited 11/6/17 7:55 am
Topic: RE: Two Deaths from Gastric Bypass - Not Listed as Surgical Deaths

I had RNY 03/02/2004. I lost 100 lbs and gained back 40. I had many, many complications. I almost died from pancreas problems the first month. I battle anemia, ostioporisis and many other health problems.

In 2014 my 36 year old daughter passed away a week after Gastric Sleeve Weight-Loss Surgery. Her belly was full of blood the cause of death was listed as unknown.

In 2016 my 55 year old sister died a month after weight loss surgery. She ate a sub sandwich fell asleep, vomited and aspirated the vomit. The cause of death was listed as aspiration.

Neither of these deaths were listed as a result from weight loss surgery.

You show know the facts before making this decision.

Do the research and pray about it.(edited)

100less
on 12/25/14 10:58 pm
Topic: RE: Gas After WLS No One Talks About

My RYN was about 8 years ago. I recall reading something about foul gas here and asked my doctor. He acted very surprised and said he didn't know anything about it. 

Surprise-- the gas after WLS is revolting. My husband has slept in a separate room since I've had the surgery. If I only eat what I should it not much of a problem but if I have any sugar or sugar-free candy at all it's disgusting. I have spent a fortune on gas pads and sprays I carry everywhere. I have a fan in every room in the house.

To got an idea read a few post from Sugar-Free Gummie Bears. Thats what happens every time I eat sugar or sugar free candy. http://amzn.to/1vwxvqQ (hysterically funny but so true)

The stench is hard to explain. Somewhat link running over a skunk combined with a sewage tank.  It travels through the house and lingers. 

I'm always surprised everyone avoids this topic. 

100less
on 12/25/14 10:30 pm
Topic: RE: I lost 125 lbs, and six years later.....

Its been 8 years since my RNY. I've gained a lot weight back. I'm still obese. I started attending Overeaters Anonymous (OA)  meetings. Its helped much mire that anything I've done. Its a life saver. I've made many new friends. Try it. 

100less
on 12/25/14 10:19 pm
Topic: RE: I think my pouch is shrinking??

I had RNY 8 years ago. I lost 100 and then gained 55 back. I started attending OA meetings and finally feel (with God's help) in control of my food.

I eat 3 meals a day and a 3:30 snack. No sugar, no flour. I've lost 11 lbs in a month.

Surprisingly I think my pouch has shrunk? I can no longer eat Ezekiel bread almond butter sandwich for breakfast. Its just too uncomfortable.

Its been years since I've felt too full to eat so I assume I stretched out my pouch. It is possible it shrunken now? Anyone else have this happen?

100less
on 1/18/14 11:12 pm
Topic: RE: My daughter died

My daughter Victoria passed away Thursday, January 9th a week after Gastric Sleeve Weight-Loss Surgery. Her husband, Jim, was driving her to the hospital when she stopped breathing. They worked on her for 35 minutes and got her heart started. She did not regain consciousness but had vital signs for 30 minutes. It stopped again for 5 minutes. I spoke with Jim several times and was driving to the airport to be with her when I received noticed she passed away.

The medical examiner continues to search for the official cause of death. Her abdomain was full of blood. Additional information may follow as warrants.

I was not aware of the surgery, as she knew I was against it. I had a RNY 5 years agao and have had many, many complications. I almost died from pancreas problems the first month.  I am hoping this news will discourage others from seeking such surgery.

Many family members and friends voiced fond memories of Victoria’s huge heart, her kindness to everyone, her empathy for those in need and her love for her family at her funeral on January 13th (the day after her 37th birthday). I am pleased that the adjectives used over and over were fruits of the Spirit: loving, joyful, kindness, giving.

Words do not exist to adequately express the pain and sorrow I feel for the loss of my daughter. She had pneumonia when he was 2 weeks old and her heart stopped for 6 minutes. God gave her back to me, my gift, for 37 years. I treasure every minute by beautiful baby girl was here on earth and look forward to seeing her again.

100less
on 5/11/12 7:16 am
Topic: RE: Quoina Pain
I love quoina. Great source of protein. Low fat. super nutritious. But I overdid it today and in bed in pain with a too full pouch.Anyone else have this?

Don't let my indulgence scare you. 

Quinoa is a super-food not introduced to USA until 1980s. It is full of protein, versatile, delicious and aids in weight loss! Add anything to it you would add to rice. My favorite Quinoa dishes are 1.w onion, avocado and tomato 2.2 chickpeas and tomato. 3. 2 sweet potato, lemon, and vinaigrette. (I use the pre-washed Quinoa.)
Not only is the "mother of all grains" high in protein incredibly low in fat and provides magnesium, fiber, calcium, riboflavin, copper and potassium. It can be used in hot breakfast cereals, chili, salads and casseroles. It can also be used to replace other grains and to thicken soups.
100less
on 3/23/12 2:13 am
Topic: RE: Anything Need to Know b4 Hysterectomy?
Besides pain meds, is there anything else gastric bypass patients  should know before  a hysterectomy.

Just fonund out I need one , scheduled Tuesday.

Thanks.
(RNY 2004).
100less
on 3/23/12 2:09 am
Topic: RE: Blood Test to Monitor List in PDF?
Someone here posted a Blood Test to Monitor List in PDF a few weeks ago and I can't find it. I need to take it to my doctor today and he will be monitoring me (moved from my surgeon).

Any  links appreciated.

100less
on 2/26/12 3:10 am
Topic: RE: HELP! Four Years Since Ive been Here.
Yes, I taking Calcium CITRATE but I was not taking enough. Just doubled up-- not that explains the Charlie horses. Thanks so much for letting me know how much.  
100less
on 2/24/12 10:37 am
I was told WLS patients need 100 to 150 grams from a liquid becasue it won't asorb from food??
100less
on 2/24/12 10:36 am
That sound great. I'll check BOTT out that for letting me know!
100less
on 2/24/12 12:46 am, edited 2/24/12 12:47 am

Here is another problem steaming from lack of gastric follow up:

I see a hematologist bi weekly for labs and b12 shots. I ASSUMED he was watching all the right levels but he was only watching issues relating to anemia so my D, potassium, magnesium, and protein levels were not monitored until I was in the hospital being treated for heart failure.

To use a food analogy it’s been like going to a Mexican restaurant to get Chinese food. You might get something close but you miss the main thing.

100less
on 2/24/12 12:39 am

Just to clarify-- I did not stop taking supplements. I take multi-vitamin, iron, B, bi weekly B12 shot, Calcium, probiotics, D3, B1, magnesium, (and use magnesium lotion), Co Q 10, Selenium, fish oil, chlorella, beta carotene, and Turmeric daily.

I drink Green drinks (used to be daily but I’ve been slacking in the last few months to once or twice a week) made with spinach, kale, coconut oil, frozen fruit, and add powered hemp hearts, sprilla, flax seed oil, kelp, and barley green.

I eat well breakfast- Ezekiel sprout bread with almond butter made with coconut oil for breakfast daily. Things like salads and fish 3-4 x week . But I also eat bad as I have a lot of cravings.

The issue is not 100% I have been neglecting health—It’s that I completely forgot to include protein drinks. Once the autoship stopped I let it slip my mind. Had I been going for gastric follow-up this would not have happened.

My fault. I am bad. Now that I remember I will be back on track with diligence. I recently joined a gym thinking my problem were lack of exercise.

Left vitalady messages on phone and email.

100less
on 2/23/12 10:31 pm, edited 2/23/12 10:46 pm

Wow, thanks for the support. I just burst into tears (I never cry, guess it’s another symptom).

I feel like I walked into an AA meeting and said Hello I'm Jane and everyone screamed at me for coming to an AA meeting.

I don't know WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKING. Thats why I'm here.

Maybe I have deep death wish, I don't know WHY.

I don't know why I gained over 100 lbs that made me so fat I had to mutilate my body to fix it. I don't know why I am alomost the same weight again.

Was it was because my husband left me for another woman? Is it becasue my mother AND father both dies unexpectedly in the last 3 years? Was it because I was too busy taking care of 7 children and 8 grandchildren? and a farm by myself. Is it because I have had more stress in my life than 100 others? I don't do not know why I am in this situation.

I was hoping for a little gentler help.

I sincerely thank you for the files.
100less
on 2/23/12 7:40 pm

You are going to think I am a fool. I have not been here for about 4 years. (Please have mercy it has been a VERY hard 4 years. )

I have not been taking my protein for 4 years. Somewhere over these years, I have slowly ignored the fact that I am a WLS patient and cannot live like normal person.

Little over 4  years ago I moved to a new state and stopped seeing the gastric surgeon for follow ups. I was seeing a hematologist weekly for severe anemia and assumed he was watching my other levels.

I had 2 heart surgeries, serious anemia problems (about 15 blood transfusions) and a lot of family problems ( A LOT) and somewhere in all the mess  I slowly lost sight of my nutritional needs.

I got my heart fixed, got the anemia under control (I’ll share that story in another post), take a lot of supplements, got off several hearts meds so I felt I was moving in the right direction.

This last year I have gained 50 lbs! I was still experiencing a lot fatigue (for once not as result of heart or anemia).

In the last four months  the following have started or gotten worse:

~ my hair started falling out. I have a huge bald spot.

~ constant hunger and sweet cravings

~ daily dumping

~ Sores ( almost like bed sores) in embarrassing places that will not heal

~   horrible scaly scalp

~ cuts not healing,

~ joint pains

~ stabbing bone pains

~  insomnia BIG TIME

~ Unable to think clear,

~ unorganized (I’m usually VERY organized)

~  irritable

So I went to a doctor thinking I had a thyroid problem. All test normal. I thought maybe it hormonal (change, I’m 55) and I need to see another doctor.

Then last night a friend called to tell me about a nutritional seminar she attended and the importance of protein. The light bulb went off. OMG!!! I haven’t been taking protein drinks this explains EVERYTHING!

What an idiot I have been.  God only knows what damage I have done. I’m amazed I’m not worse.

I went to Walmart and got whey and started in last night. I dumped. I think I might need lactose free whey so I  ordered Jay Robb Whey Vanilla online., Before I moved I was really good about taking daily protein (auto shipped to my house).

Regular doctors are WLS ignorant. They all ignore  nutritional problems. I will call my primary dr today and make an apt with a gastric doctor. We live in a rural area so I’ll have to drive 1.5 hour to get to one..

Over the years I was diagnosed a(almost accidently) with super low D and potassium & mag deficiency. You would think I would have realized the problem way before now (lost my mind)

I don’t even remember how much protein I should be taking. I’m aiming 100 g a day for now. I’m writing at 5 am.  Night before last I slept 3 hours. Last night maybe 4.

Does anyone have any idea how long it will talk for me get my protein up? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for listening.

100less
on 9/23/09 8:06 am
Topic: RE: Heartburn pain after the Roux?
All my heartburn stoped after I lost weight 6 years ago after surgery, but

last year I gained 30 lbs and heartburn is back raging. I think is has something to do with my stomach not emptying. When I go the bathroom the heartburn is releaved. But I can't go the bathroom without a suppliment.
100less
on 9/23/09 8:02 am
Topic: RE: Finally Sugar Free but Constipated
Had RNY Bypass 6 years ago. Lost 100. Had to go on on steriods this summer for problem gained 30.

I admit I have never been sugar free since weight loss surgery until now. Sugar kept me regular.  

Now I'm sugar free and no refinded foods-  i have lost 12 lbs.
BUT

I'm hainvg a terrible time moving my bowels-- when I go its soft but it seems it is just not MOVING through my system. Think something is stuck??

I barely go every other day and feels like everything is backing up into my mouth. Even with Nexium I have HORRIBLE heartburn that didn't start until now.

I take Psyllium Husk several times a day. My diet is vegtables (mostly raw salads) some fruits, fish and chicken and water.

I also take Threelac daily. (Wondering if heartburn is yeast die-off related)

Help the heartburn is unbearable and only relieved when I empty my tummy.

Any help appreciated.
100less
on 2/12/09 6:57 am
Topic: RE: Vitamin D Level?
The dr office called and said Vit D was 18 I need perscription strength Vit D. Whats normal level?

Concerned becasue I have crohns--
100less
on 1/28/09 8:44 am
Topic: RE: Complications 2nd Surgry Needed
I had Gastric bypass March 2004. Probably should not have had it becasue I had anemia problems and IBS. But they did it anyway.

The anemia got bad. I've had 10 blood transfusion this year, iron infusions and weekly trips to hemotologist.

After years trying to find out the bleeding problem they found my small intertine is full of bleeding ulcers (lower left quadrant) (upper gi lower Gi no test revealed until swallowed a camera). I have Crohns (symptons show I probably had it for 30 years ) Now I'm on sterriods to reduce inflimation and GAINED 16 LBS!!!

More test show I have several hold up areas where the original bypass needs to be either dialated or resectioned (upper right quadrant)  Secondly the bleeding ulcer section will be cut out. Tomorrow I find out if they woill do it laproscopically or open me again.

My question: My meeting is with a Gastirc Bypass doctor. How much experience do they have with Crohns? I'm worried somthing will get missed.

BTW, my GI doctor had a VERY hard time finding a doctor to take me. His words "Everybody want to do gastric bypass, nobody wants to fix a botched job"

Thanks.
250/164/130
March 2004 Open

100less
on 12/9/08 8:11 am
Topic: RE: Diagonsed w Crohns (long)
I've had diarrhea with blood and stomach pains off and on for 30 years years. RNY 4 years ago. Dr was aware of irratable bowel.

The rectal bleeding got really bad after RNY.  A GI di all the tests:  the upper, lower, colonscopy again-- nothing found. Swallowed a camera and becasue of iron meds couldn't see anything. Bleed a lot. I was getting iron infusions every week for anemia. Still no answers.

Then after a hernia surgery I didn't recover well. Had blood transfusions then finally open heart surgery. The stomach problems were on hold becasue of the heart problems. One of the heart graph collapsed. Second heart surgery in March 2008.

Bleeding got A LOT worse. I'd be in Walmart with trail of blood going through a pad and onto the floor. Or driving the car and fill the seat with blood. A few emergency hospitalizations from hemorrhage and SIX blood transfusions and no one knew why I was bleeding. VERY FRUSTRATING.

New Doctor, More Tests

About four months ago I started the whole doctor thing again in TN. This time heartburn and acid refulx was horrible 24/7 and aspirin for heart aggravated my stomach.

The new doctor did all the test upper, lower, colonscopy, CT - He found cryptotis (he said was like a smoking gun). I had a barium meal (muffin and barium) then Swallowed a camera last week.

Today I got the news. Problems due to long term Crohns Disease.
  • Barium meal revealed: several narrowed high pressured ares in my small bowel. The narrow areas stop food, build up pressure. Dr said they will probably remove part of my colon.
  • Camera revealed: several ulcerated area, several areas scalloped villi, and a few hemmorrhagic foci and clumped mucosa. (Can anyone help me understand these terms?) And several area of hold up, bile entrance, and retained fluid.
  • Other test showed Hiatial hernia and Barrett's esophagus (bile backs up into esophagus when things don't work)
I'm grateful to get any news after being told it hemorrhoids for years and knowing hemorrhoids do NOT bleed enough to have infusions and transfusions over and over.

Dr sent me to hospital yesterday for IV Solumedrol steroids. I start Prednisone 60 mg today. Everyone says these make you gain weight! ACK!

My next test is enterocolysis CT to check the narrowing. (thorugh my nose!)  Dr said I would probably have part of my small bowel removed (I think the ileum). I may have surgery late dec depending on test results.

ANyone here have Crohns? Wondering how to tell the difference between dumping and a crohns fair up.

Thanks.
250/158/135
march 2004
100less
on 10/29/08 6:54 am
Topic: RE: Help reading medical GI report
Thanks you this was very helpful.

I'm in the process of a GI workup but I don't understand why he said he'd see me in two weeks when I'm miserable. I have acid in my mouth all the time, horrible burn in espohagus.

My stools are gray. I think he missing something.

Thanks again.

100less
on 10/27/08 11:31 pm
Topic: RE: Help reading medical GI report
I am 3.5 years out from RNY surgery. I have severe heart burn 24/7 with Nexium and upper left quadrant stomach pain with swelling and ridgid area.

A local GI docrot is preforming tests. Endoscope, colon scope, upper GI. The last visit he read my reports to himself and said OK we will see you in two weeks after IBS blood test. It never explained anything. I asked the nurse for copy of report. Here is what is said.   ______________
Upper GI: Hiatal hernia with associated reflux from the gastric remnant into the hernia sac. Probable developing Schatzki's B ring, digital esophagus
  Pathology: EGD Biopsy at 18 cm includes a piece of glandular mucosa with distinct goblet cell intestinal metaplasia suggests Barrett's esophagus with specialized Bartlett's epithelium. No dysplasia. There are separate pieces of squamous mucosa with mild reactive changes.

Any light anyone can shed would be helpful.

I have severe heart burn 24/7 with Nexium and upper left quadrant stomach pain with swelling and ridgid area.

I know I need to change dr but its a small town and 1.5 hour drive to another doctor. I was hoping to get all test done before finding another doctor.

Thansk.

100less
on 10/10/08 8:38 pm
Topic: RE: Bile Reflux?
Anyone have Bile Reflux problems? What are the test and treatments?

Is it a common complication with GBP?

I had an RNY March 2004 now suffering with horrible heartburn and stomach pains. EDG (upper gi probe) this week showed reflux but not acid.

Blood test and fecal test show high Sed rate and bleeding. The doctor ordered a HIDA Scan (cholescintigraphy) on Monday to check my liver and bile.

100less
on 10/10/08 7:36 pm
Topic: RE: Acid Refux after bypass question
On October 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
 I had the EDG as well and was diagnosed with reflux.  What my doctor and surgeon told me was that yes, you can get reflux with RNY but its not Acid Reflux.  Because, you are right, the acid comes from the stomach that is now separated from the pouch and no longer accessable.  The reflux can come up from the intestines or from what is left in the stomach.  It typically is not acidic.  
>>>The reflux can come up from the intestines or from what is left in the stomach.<<<

Is it treated the same as acid reflux? Id there a name for it? What are the risks? What foods help or should be avioded?  Do you know where I can find more information on rhis?

Thank you.
100less
on 10/10/08 11:07 am
Topic: RE: Acid Refux after bypass question
Thursday I had a EDG (upper gi probe). After wards (while I was still groggy) the dr talked to hubbby and me. I don't remember much. Hubby said the doctor said I had acid refulx that did not make sense becasue the part of my stomach that produces acid was cut off with RNY. 

This does not make sense. Hubby must have heard wrong-- doesn't the stomach have to produce some acid to digest food?

The doctor has been treating me for an ulcer for the last month.
It is not an ulcer. Blood test and fecal test show high Sed rate and bleeding. The doctor ordered a
HIDA Scan (cholescintigraphy) on Monday to check my liver and bile.    This scan will run bile tracer dye in my system . The dye goes where the bile goes--If it goes into the liver there may be an obstruction. If it goes into intestine there is obstruction from cystic duct to gallbladder (but I don't have my gall bladder). If the dye shows outside the liver and ducts its probably a bile leak.   The stomach pain and horrible smoky feeling in my chest has been getting worse quickly.

ANY light on this would be appreciated. I am not familiar with the liver or acid refulx.
Thanks.
Most Active