Fallen off the exercise train & struggling to get back on

cfortolson
on 5/20/12 8:38 am - NJ
I was doing really good with getting in at least 3 days of exercise. Then we moved, my daughter's Lacrosse season started and work has been overwhelming w/ stress and volume.

I have this constant battle with myself. I don't want to make my husband do too much w/Lacrosse bc he hates the travel & commitment. And I certainly can't ask him to do it w/ our 2 year old super active son. And work requires so much. If I don't put the time in, I feel like all I am doing is adding to my stressload. This is my internal struggle. I take time away from the family for work how can I take it away to exercise at night. (I enjoy the exercise classes)

I am super scared if I don't get my rump in gear & take advantage of my tool. I am going to regret it down the line. And above all else I want be a healthy role model for my children.

I guess I am just vocalizing my thoughts. Thanks for being here to let me do that.
Christine
Elaine2
on 5/20/12 9:45 am - Atlanta, GA
Christine----
I'm single, no kids----and here is probably the reason-----------

What the heck does this mean?    I don't want to make my husband do too much w/Lacrosse bc he hates the travel & commitment. And I certainly can't ask him to do it w/ our 2 year old super active son.......... I take time away from the family for work how can I take it away to exercise at night. (I enjoy the exercise classes).

I'll let married folks comment here but what are you allowed to do for yourself without feeling guilty? I think exercise helps relieve some of the stress from work and family. And if you think about it, that along with your improving health, will benefit your family too.

If you don't think you can get away from home, how about jumping rope or hula hooping in the garage. Or the usual DVD. But I say work with the husband to get a couple of hours a week just for you.

I hope that doesn't come across as harsh but thinking of yourself for just a few hours isn't selfish IMHO. Consider it an investment in your long term relationships.

acbbrown
on 5/20/12 2:14 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I gotta agree with Elaine - a lot of us became obese by always putting family/husbands/kids/parents, other people in general ahead of ourselves. 

Work is what supports your family (unless you are working for free and for fun...) so why would you feel guilty about that? You deserve an hour to yourelf a day or a couple times a week - without feeling guilty. Yes, your husband may have to work a little harder but honestly, you both end up benefiting from it. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

cfortolson
on 5/21/12 2:17 am - NJ
Thanks for the feedback!

You guys are right. A lot of this is my issue, I certainly didn't get to be 474 pounds putting myself first.

My goal over the next week is to squeeze in 3 workouts!
acbbrown
on 5/21/12 7:13 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Great goal!! 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KatCooper
on 5/21/12 10:02 am - Collierville, TN
 Great goal! and when you need support of your me time just hollar at us!!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/22/12 2:29 am
Just wanted to pop in and say, I hope you took what the other posters said to heart and are putting yourself first. It's just like the plank in the eye tale, you can't help others until you help yourself first. You matter, you deserve it. I hope you MAKE time for yourself, for you and your family. It's a total win-win.

Good Luck,

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Lucky2talk2
on 5/23/12 12:31 am - Renton, WA
Great goal!! Just wanted to say keep going, focus on you and your shining happiness will also show through all you do in your family. A happy healthy you is really important in all that you do in your family. So much more you can do for your family, when you feel good!!

Hugs

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

Most Active