Recent Posts

marylaw
on 6/23/09 4:13 pm - Winfield, KS
Topic: Life Plan Devotion #109 [Getting your prayers answered, Part II]
Hi, Everyone.
We are looking at the 7 basic conditions to getting your prayers answered. Today's may be one you hadn't thought much about before, but it's very important. I love hearing from you, as always.

Life Plan Devotion #109 [Getting your prayers answered, Part II]

Matthew 7:7 "Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need" (Message).

Last time, we looked at the first of 7 basic conditions to answered prayer, to pray in the Name of Jesus. Today, we will begin to look at the second condition: 2) Pray with praise and thanksgiving.

In my ladies' Bible study group, we've been studying the Old Testament wilderness Tabernacle, the place where God's presence dwelt during the wilderness wanderings of the children of Israel. Every part of the Tabernacle, from the eastern gate to the Holy of Holies, is a shadow of Jesus and redemption.
     We learned that God directed where the 12 tribes of Israel would be encamped, around the Tabernacle. The tribe of Judah camped just outside the eastern gate (the only entrance) to the Tabernacle. The name Judah means "praise."
     It is interesting to look at some of the Hebrew and Greek words for "praise" and the definitions.

yâdâh (yaw-daw’) Hebrew: to hold out the hand; to revere or worship with extended hands; give thanks.

hilûwl (hil-lool’) Hebrew: a sense of rejoicing; a celebration of thanksgiving for harvest.

tehillâh (teh-hil-law’) Hebrew: laudation; a hymn.

tôwdâh (to-daw’) Hebrew: adoration; a choir of worshipers; confession; sacrifice of praise, thanksgiving.

bârak (baw-rak’) Hebrew: to kneel; to bless God as an act of adoration.

hâlal (haw-lal’) Hebrew: to be clear; to shine; to celebrate.

zâmar (zaw-mar’) Hebrew: to touch the strings or parts of a musical instrument; to make music, accompanied by the voice; to celebrate in song and music; sing forth praises, psalms.

shebach (sheb-akh’) Hebrew: to adore.

aininĕsis (ah’-ee-nes-is) Greek: the act of praising; a thank offering.

ainĕō (ahee-neh’-o) Greek: to praise God.

dŏxa (dox-ah) Greek: glory, dignity, glorious, honour, praise, worship.

ĕpainĕō (ep-ahee-neh’-o) Greek: to applaud, commend, laud, praise.

humnĕō (hoom-neh’-o) Greek: to celebrate God in song.
     As you can see, there are many ways to praise God. Let's look at what the Word has to say about praise:
Hebrews 13:15 [Amplified] "Through Him, let us constantly and at all times offer up to God a sacrifice of praise, which is the fruit of lips that thankfully acknowledge and confess and glorify His name."
Everything we say should be glorifying to God. It's something we should do all the time. That's a challenge!
Psalm 22:3 [KJV] "Thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel."
Where does God live/dwell/inhabit? In the praises of His people, so if you want to be sure that God meets you when you pray, just begin by praising Him.

What this has to do with weight loss: When the weight-loss journey gets intense, take some time to praise and thank God for how He has blessed your journey so far, and look to Him for more blessings to come.

Confession:
When I pray, I will offer to God my sacrifice of praise, not only for what God is doing in my life but for who He is. Because God inhabits praise, I know that God is truly present when I praise and worship Him in prayer.

Blessings,
Mary

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how BIG your God is!"

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader and Support Group Coach
Randall Culpepper
on 6/22/09 10:01 pm - Guntersville, AL
Topic: Tuesday Coffee Talk

Good Tuesday morning everyone!  Time to rise and shine.  Today is going to be a great day.  It is going to be hot, but great.  Remember to stay cool!  Check on the elderly and make sure they have air and have it on.  It is sad, but a lot of the elderly try to cut back and save money and end up letting electric bills be the one main cut.  This heat can kill.  I guess this is our challenge for today.  Stay cool and check on your loved ones that are older.

So, who's up?  What cha sippin' on?  Lucy and I are enjoying some wonderful Folgers chocolate coffee.  The stuff is so good!  Wanna cup?  We would be glad to share.

Y'all have a wonderful Thursday as you stay cool!!

Praying for you all!

For every Goliath, there is a Stone! His name is Jesus!"
       coffeefirst.jpg image by jrcpepper

marylaw
on 6/22/09 9:36 pm - Winfield, KS
Topic: RE: Life Plan Devotion #108 [How to get your prayers answered]
Hi, Vickie.
It's so good to hear from you and sweet Eliana. :) A friend and I have been looking at some of the names of God, and we just began looking at some of the names of Jesus. It does give one a better look at our God. It's very precious.
I, too, love those verses in Exodus, even the "justice" side of God, where it says, "and that will by no means clear the guilty." God is longsuffering, for sure, but, in the end, our "no" to His Son has its consequence. Oh, but when we say "yes," there is abundant grace and mercy, forgiveness and help.
I love your new avatar picture! You are looking younger with every pound that melts away. You look all "sparkly," too. Wonder what that's from? ;)
Blessings,
Mary

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/09 9:23 pm - OH
Topic: RE: Life Plan Devotion #108 [How to get your prayers answered]

Good morning, Mary.

I love the way the names in scripture are descriptive of the person's character.  One year I was teaching a class on the Old Testament, and one of our class projects was to search for those names, especially the names of God.  One of my favorite names for the Lord is found in Exodus 34:5-7, as Moses went back to the Lord to receive the 10 commandments the second time:

And the Lord descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord.  And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression...

What a wonderful and good and generous God we do worship!

Have a beautiful day,
Vickie (and Eliana)

ksmidnite
on 6/22/09 8:51 pm - centereach, NY
Topic: RE: I'm so happy that there is a Christian Forum!!!
Amen that was so well said

ksmidnite
on 6/22/09 8:47 pm - centereach, NY
Topic: RE: New York Newbie...
Hello Ms. Ronnie. I can tell you that God has truly sent the people in this forum to me, I have been so blessed by them. You could not ask for better more equipped prayer warriors and Mary's devotions are so God given they hit the nail on the head everytime for me. We will be praying for you throughout this journey. I too know that my surgery was a divine appointment. No person could have orchastrated it better than God. He will bless you and keep you. God Bless

In Christ
Karyn

marylaw
on 6/22/09 4:08 pm - Winfield, KS
Topic: Life Plan Devotion #108 [How to get your prayers answered]
Hi, Everyone.
I've had some good responses to the promise in Matthew 7:7. Asking God for something isn't quite as simple as it looks, at first glance. Join me, as we look at the conditions to getting your prayers answered. As we go through each "condition," it will be an opportunity for you to do some soul searching, to see if you meet each condition. Will it be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Absolutely.

Life Plan Devotion #108 [How to get your prayers answered]

Matthew 7:7a "Ask, and it shall be given you..." (KJV)

Last time, we looked at the 4 principles of asking:
1) Ask as if you expect to get it, which is faith.
2) Ask someone who has the authority to give it to you, which is praying in the name of Jesus.
3) Ask in a way that is clear and specific, which is praying with a clear intention.
4) Ask repeatedly, which is praying with persistence.
     There are 7 basic conditions to answered prayer. Today, we will look at the first condition: 1) Pray in the Name of Jesus. In John 14:13-14, Jesus says, "I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask Me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (NIV). Praying in the Name of Jesus is more than just tacking on "in Jesus' Name" at the end of your prayers.
     What is Jesus' Name? Isaiah prophesied about Jesus, when he said, "Unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6, NIV). In my searching of the Scriptures, I have found 103 names of Jesus, from A-W, in many books from Genesis to Revelation.
     What is so special about Jesus' name? "God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow...and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:9-11, NIV).

When I taught high school, I was astounded at how few young people really understood the importance of one's name. Your name is who you are, and it's what you make of it! Every name has a meaning, and in times past, parents chose the name of their new baby very carefully, as it was very often a type of prophecy as to who that baby would become, character wise.
     How often do you hear the name of God or Jesus Christ spoken in a flippant or profane manner? No doubt it takes a "Damascus Road experience" (read the account of Saul's conversion in Acts chapter 9) to appreciate the Name of Jesus. Demons tremble at the sound of that Name, and all Heaven stands at attention when you mention that Name--Jesus.
     Meditate on the Name of Jesus. Look at the names of Jesus used in God's Word, until you get an understanding of Who He IS. How will you know when you get that "understanding"? If you can speak at all, you will echo the words of David, when he proclaimed, "Let all the earth fear [revere and worship Him]; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him" (Psalm 33:8, Amplified).

What this has to do with weight loss: If you are a believer, God calls you "the elect of God, holy and beloved" (Colossians 3:12, NKJV). You are His beloved. You are much loved, which is what "beloved" means. Have no doubt that He wants the very best for you, including a healthy body, and He has given you the powerful Name of Jesus in which to pray to the Father. Speak The Name in awe, and pray it wisely.

Confession:
The Name of Jesus is awesome and powerful, just as is He! When I pray, I pray in the Name of Jesus, as directed by Jesus and in accordance with God's Word, and I am assured that He will do what I ask, for His glory.

Blessings,
Mary

Hislady
on 6/22/09 2:52 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: New York Newbie...
Hi Ronnie, good to see your new face. The folks here are awesome and we'll all be praying for your upcoming surgery. Keep us posted when you get a date. God bless!
gogirl1960
on 6/22/09 7:18 am - greenwood, DE
yes, it nice to share with other believers what is going on with you. i had my bypass surgery 11 weeks ago. i have lost 50 pounds, which definetly goes to the Lord. He has made this surgery a success for me. no pain, problems, it is easy to stay on track with him. today was the first day that i had a throwing up episode. stomach still not right, so i am just relaxing and waiting for things to calm down on the inside. i have alot of people ask me if this is hard , like given up food, sugar , etc. i just tell them that i have the Lord on my  side and nothing is too hard.
jrussell
on 6/22/09 6:19 am - Boiling Springs, SC
Thank you, I understand "Stand still" as far as loss is concerned.  It is hard not to get discouraged when it was so fast and dramatic for the first 10 months.  I need to focus on not falling back into bad habits, grazing, and eating what I know I shouldn't.  Thank you for reminding me that God is in Control and I need to give my fear of gaining back the weight to Him.  I can do all thing throught Christ who strengthens me. You can do all things throught Christ who strenghtens you.
Sister in Service,
Nita
Most Active