Recent Posts

jrussell
on 6/22/09 6:14 am - Boiling Springs, SC
Topic: RE: I'm so happy that there is a Christian Forum!!!
I have read many of your comments and encouragements.  You are truly a blessing.  Boiling Springs is north of Spartanburg, in the foot hills.  I can see the Blue Ridge from my street on clear days.
Thanks for reminding me that God is truely able!!
Nita
jrussell
on 6/22/09 6:12 am - Boiling Springs, SC
Thanks, It's always a good place to be with brother's and sisters in Christ.
marylaw
on 6/22/09 4:42 am - Winfield, KS
Topic: RE: New York Newbie...
Welcome, Ms. Ronnie! I love to see a new face on the Christianity Forum. There are precious, precious people here. Not too many post, but if you post a prayer request, you can be sure it will get prayed for.
I'm excited for you and your upcoming surgery. When God has His hand on it, things work out! :) Keep us posted as to your surgery date, and if there's anything I can do to help you on your journey, you just send me a message. Until then, I will be praying for you.
Blessings,
Mary
"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how BIG your God is!"

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader and Support Group Coach
Linda W.
on 6/22/09 1:48 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: New York Newbie...
I will add you to my prayer list & watch for your post of a surgery date.
Blessings,
Linda

Linda
"I can do ALL things through CHRIST who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13 

Ms.Ronnie
on 6/22/09 1:26 am - Brooklyn, NY
Topic: New York Newbie...
Grace and peace everyone! I, like another earlier post, am thrilled to see a forum for Christians. Don't get me wrong, the other forums are quite positive and inspirational, but I like the idea of folks who know how to get a prayer through praying for me. I haven't had my surgery yet...my expected date is some time in early August. I will see my surgeon next Wednesday to finalize everything. I must admit I'm nervous, but God truly set this whole thing up for me. My prayer was that if I was to have the surgery God would guide me towards the right hospital with the right surgeon and things would go relatively smoothly with regard to the insurance approval. Needless to say, since December everything has worked in my favor. I will be having my surgery done at Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC, the surgeon is Dr. Edward Yatco and everything is covered by my insurance. I'm nervous, but I'm more excited to see the new me that God is going to pull out of all this. God bless each of you and let's remember to lift one another up in prayer.
Randall Culpepper
on 6/21/09 9:41 pm - Guntersville, AL
Topic: Monday Coffee Talk
Good morning everyone!  Time to rise and shine!  It is going to be a wonderful day!  Nothing can get us down today!

That's our challenge for today.  Not to let anything get you down.  Hard to do I know, but it is doable!  I have faith in all of us that anything that comes our way, we can keep a positive outlook.  I'm the king of facing obstacles (not to brag) and if I can keep a positive look on life, anyone can.  All it takes is a get back up and keep going attitude.  Sure life is going to throw you a blow or two, but you have a determination inside of you that no one can stop.  Let that determination rise up within you and nothing can get you down.  I dare ya to do it and see what kind of day you have.  

So, who is up this morning?  What cha sippin' on?  I'm enjoying some awesome Boca Java Creamsicle coffee.  The stuff is good and you can actually taste the orange and vanilla in this coffee.  bocajava.com is the place to order.  Tell them I sent ya and I get bucks back! HAHA! 

Y'all have the best Monday you have ever had as you have that great attitude as you leave the house!
For every Goliath, there is a Stone! His name is Jesus!"
       coffeefirst.jpg image by jrcpepper

ksmidnite
on 6/21/09 8:32 pm - centereach, NY
Welcome, I can not put into words what an encouragement the people on this board are. I know that when I ask for prayer I am getting it and from some great prayer warriors. The Lord brought me to this forum and I thank God that the people on it are obediant to him. I will be praying for you, I am sorta in the same boat. I am so thankful for the 80 pounds I already lost but it seems to have stopped. I know it was very quick and I know it needed to slow down. I need to learn that God is in control and as long as I give it to Him then I know he will supply all I need. I pray for that for you as well. God Bless you and welcome to our wonderful God driven group.

In Christ
Karyn

marylaw
on 6/21/09 4:40 pm - Winfield, KS
Topic: Life Plan Devotion #107 [Ask!]
Hi, Everyone.
I trust you had a great weekend and are ready for a terrific week. Let's get out there and do what needs to be done! Oh, and if you need help, just ask.

Life Plan Devotion #107 [Ask!]

Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you" (NIV).

If you want to receive from God, you must ask Him. The Greek word for "ask" in Matthew 7:7 is aitĕō, which means "to ask, beg, call for, crave, desire, require." It is interesting to notice the varying degrees of intensity implied in that list. If you think about it, each word fits nicely within the list of words in defining the Greek word for "need" from Philippians 4:19 (see LPD #104).
     The Greek word for "given" in Matthew 7:7 is didōmi, which means "adventure, bring forth, commit, deliver, give, grant, receive." When I read those words, I was impressed with the implication of time. Sometimes the result of the promise, "Ask and it will be given to you..." is instant; sometimes it takes much longer; sometimes it comes with an "adventure," usually a faith adventure.
     Last time, we looked at 4 principles of asking. Let's review them and see if we can make a spiritual connection to each one:
1) Ask as if you expect to get it. That is an excellent way of pointing to the important concept of asking in faith. Matthew 21:22 says, "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
2) Ask someone who has the authority to give it to you. Remember our previous verse, Philippians 4:19? Look at the last part: "My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Ask God, in the name of Jesus.
3) Ask in a way that is clear and specific. In Luke 18:41, Jesus asks the blind beggar who had cried out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" the following question, "What do you want me to do for you?" Did Jesus not know the man was blind? Did Jesus not know what the man wanted? Of course Jesus knew the man was blind, and He knew the man wanted to see, but Jesus asked him the same question He asks you today, "What do you want me to do for you?" The blind man answers Jesus' question by responding, "Lord, I want to see." That is clear and specific.
4) Ask repeatedly. Unless what you're asking for is clearly stated in God's Word as God's Will, you should be persistent. In Luke 18:1-5, Jesus tells the parable of the persistent widow, who kept coming to the judge, to plead for justice. The purpose of this parable, according to Luke 18:1 is "to show [His disciples] that they should always pray and not give up" (NIV).

Prayer is powerful, but God can do nothing until you ask. This has been His "track record" since the Book of Genesis. In the secular world, sometimes you don't ask because you're afraid of rejection. You deny yourself, when you do that. Someone once said, "Some will, some won't, so what!" Reject rejection! In the spiritual realm, "...You do not have, because you do not ask God" (James 4:2, NIV). If you do not ask, it won't happen.

What this has to do with weight loss: I have opportunity to talk to various people who are on the weight-loss journey, and their needs are many. More times than not, after listening to their situation, I will ask, "Have you prayed and asked God to help you with that?" More times than not, their answer will be, "No. I haven't thought to do that yet." You can almost hear, "I could have had a V8!"--the commercial. If you haven't asked God to help you, why don't you do that now, and be sure to listen for the answer and His help for your situation.

Confession:
According to the promise of Matthew 7:7, I ask in prayer, in faith believing that "it will be given to [me]."

Blessings,
Mary

marylaw
on 6/20/09 2:45 pm, edited 6/20/09 2:46 pm - Winfield, KS
Hi, there.
Welcome to the Christianity Forum! Glad you're here, and thank you for posting. I will certainly pray that you will be able to lose those final 40 pounds. Even when you don't feel able, God is able. Get back to basics, do what worked for you early on, and cling to the Lord. Oh, and post here! ;)
Blessings,
Mary

Edited to Add: I see you're from S.C.! I grew up in Columbia and Charleston, but I don't think I've heard of Boiling Springs. I know there are many small towns, so maybe that's one of those. Anyway, I miss S.C.! :)

Hislady
on 6/20/09 2:38 pm - Vancouver, WA
Welcome, it's always great to see new folks join our little group. This is the best forum here IMHO and the people are just wonderful. No argueing like some of the other boards. I'm sure you will get many prayers over your weight loss stall and I hope you will become a regular like some of the rest of us.
Most Active