gah! The road to fitness...

Carrie W.
on 2/16/12 11:26 am - KY
So 10 months post RNY and down 150 lbs to roughly 200lbs and I've decided I want to be fit not just thin. 

So I rejoined the gym (I quit going when I got a job in August). 

I started the C25k and I'm up to jogging the 25 minutes.  Tomorrow will be 28.  I'm very, very slow though, like 4mph.  I want to do a 5k on 3/31 as it's the anniversary of my surgery.  I might be able to jog it by then but it'll take me forever.  My wind is what's the limiting factor now.  My legs are holding up pretty good.  I have asthma and I'm going to have to go back to the dr to discuss this.  Luckily my dr is a retired marathon runner.  My plan is to get to 30 minutes then start bumping my speed in intervals as I can do it.  Anything else I can do to be successful? 

Besides the jogging I've been riding the stationary bike on the strength or rolling hills program.  It kicks my butt too.  I'm doing weights as well and took my first yoga class tonight.  I want to take a spinning class too to see how that goes. 

Right now I'm jogging the 25 minutes in the am before work (right now that's at 3am since I have to be at work at 5am).  Then I go to the gym after work. I do 30 minutes on the bike then another 30 on the treadmill walking at an incline.  Then I do weights alternating arms and legs.  I do the same workout on Saturdays.  I take Sundays off completely and Tuesdays I only do the morning jogging.  According to the machines, I'm burning about 700 cals/day.  I'm eating between 1000 and 1200 cals/day, 120+ oz of water and 140+ g of protein.  I want to substitute a yoga class one night a week and one spin class one night a week.  I'd love to do both of them on Saturdays but it looks like I'm going to be working Saturdays for a while. 

Does this sound okay?  Anything you guys think I should change?  Like I said I will consult with my doctor too.  I'm feeling good now.  I have some soreness but not much and in general I have plenty of energy and just feel good.  Having said that, I'm tired today because today was the first day back on 10 hour days and that 2:30 am alarm was brutal.  

Kudos if you made it through that!

Thanks!!

HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

KatCooper
on 2/18/12 9:45 am - Collierville, TN
 Awesome job!!  What a cool idea to run on your surgery date!!!   I am just a little bit behind you, so I am afraid I am not going to be very helpful.  I am starting week 6 of C25K on Monday and I just got a personal trainer.  I start with him on Monday.  Sounds like you are doing everything right.  If you weight really slows you might want to increase your calories.  You may need more than the 1200 if you are working out like that everyday.   Sorry I am not helpful!!  But I wish you the best of luck!!!
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Most Active