Various running questions

Frances S.
on 3/12/12 3:25 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I've got a couple of newbie runner questions that have been floating around in my head that I'm hoping you all can answer..

1) After just two runs last week for 2.5-3 miles each my 2nd toe on each foot is sore in the nail bed.  It's fine now, and they didn't turn black and no blisters anywhere else.  I see this problem with people that are doing lots and lots of miles, but I didn't think 5-6 miles over 2 days would qualify.  I'm wearing a relatively new pair of asics that seem to fit well, but some of the searches I found said I should actually have shoes that are too big for running?  Is that true?  It doesn't feel like my toes are hitting the front of the shoe nor sliding so does that recommendation still apply?  I've got a 5K this Saturday.  My thought is to tough it out for the few miles I'm going to do this week and the race and then when I'm down in lansing in a couple of weeks I was going to hit the running store down there to get their advice.  I was thinking it would be better to not have new shoes for the race and deal with the toe pain afterwards?

2) What sort of training schedule should I have for this week prior to the 5K?  I was thinking 2-3 miles running today, spinning tomorrow, 2-3 miles running on Wed, spinning on thursday, rest on Friday and then the race on Saturday.  I can "run" for 30 minutes, but I'm too slow to get the 5K distance in that time.. can usually only get 2.5 miles in that time.

Thanks in advance for any tips..

Paul C.
on 3/12/12 5:10 am - Cumming, GA
 Answer 1
Sounds like your Shoe is either to small or the toe box is to narrow.  You said you bought new shoes recently but did you have them fitted for your foot?  I know many people benefit from going to a specialty running store at least once to find out what type of shoes they need for their foot and stride type.  Once you know then it makes finding other shoes easier.  As for the size I know when I bought my last pair the sales person' forst knuckle on their thumb was at the tip of the shoe and their thumb touched the tip of my toe.  I previously had little issues  until I started hitting runs of 10+ miles and then I did get black toe nails.

Answer 2
Really just make sure you hydrate.  If you have been doing 3 mile runs your 5K is really just another 3 mile run.  you may want to take the day before off but other than that just have fun with it.  If you are shooting to run the full distance then back your pace off a bit .  I am running with a guy at work twice a week and he is just starting to run outdoors, and has been doing TM intervals for months.  It is hard for him to reel in his pace and shoot for running the whole distance as opposed to get it done as fast as he thinks and then have to walk 2 miles into a 4 mile run.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Frances S.
on 3/12/12 5:35 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I bought these shoes in the Fall (so I guess not really "recent") and they were at a specialty shoe store, but not a running store... you know, the kind that sell merrill, etc.  I bought them at the same time as my Keen snow boots.  The last time I was "fitted" for shoes was 10 years and 80lbs ago when I did the Avon Breast Cancer 3-day.  So yeah, even though I feel like I paid a fortune for these asics I'm going to go to the running store in Lansing at the end of the month.

Thanks for the tip on hydration.  Definitely need to step that up -- so I'll focus on that for sure.  One of my runs last week was at 5mph for a good 30 minutes and that really felt comfortable.  The run the next day was a programmed 5K on my treadmill and it had me going as fast at 5.9.  That was pushing it for me and I was having to back it off.

I feel like this is my true baseline 5K.  I did two last year, but I didn't train for them like I have been.  This shamrock shuffle this weekend I did with my 11 yr old last year and we finished in 45 minutes.  He's doing it again this year, but he's walking with Grandma and I'm running.  The other 5K was last July and while I did do that one at whatever pace I could manage it still took me 48 minutes for the 3.7 miles.  It was hilly and hot and again, not really any training.

I keep telling myself if I finish around 36 minutes I'll be happy.. even though that sounds really slow compared to others.  Still wrapping my head around not comparing myself to other people in so many ways.
Paul C.
on 3/12/12 5:40 am - Cumming, GA
 The only person you need to compare your times to is yourself. Anything faster that a 45 finish will be a PR and as most on this board will tell you it is all about the PR expecially a PR on a previously ran course.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Frances S.
on 3/13/12 12:42 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 Thank you Paul.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and have always wanted to be the best, or leader, or in charge.. you get the picture.. its time to be the best of me, period.
Sue M.
on 3/12/12 6:09 am - Nantucket, MA
 you can spend $200 on a pair of running shoes and get blisters... it's all about getting the RIGHT shoe for YOU.

I get fitted once/year at my local running store.  Things change for me because I have changed so much physically, and my running goals have changed.  I need less support when I was at goal weight and learning to run, I wear more supportive shoes now because I was training for marathon+ distances.

I definitely wear a larger running shoe than I wear in a regular shoe - need to have plenty of toe room (and even then, sometimes a blister can happen, though I'm pleased to report that I have to go the full 26 before I've gotten one).

As for time, anything is good.  truly.  Finishing is the best time.  Starting is the next best time.  I'm currently minutes off my PR, but you know what, I'm still getting out there and moving!  

So, I hope you hit your 36 minutes or less, but I'm thrilled that you're getting out there, at 40 minutes or 25!  GO YOU
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Frances S.
on 3/13/12 12:45 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 Thank you Sue :)

I'll definitely go get fitted in a couple weeks when I can get to the running store.  I don't want to be discouraged by my toes hurting!

I'll let you all know how the 5K goes on Saturday :)
crystal M.
on 3/12/12 10:20 am - Joliet, IL
I saw these once and made a note of them in case I ever have this problem.  Maybe someone here has tried them and can comment....

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Toe-Caps-Pack/dp/B00 02RFO2A/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2
cabin111
on 3/12/12 3:10 pm, edited 3/12/12 3:10 am
John Wooden, probably the most famous basketball coach in the world (UCLA), would start the season with the new team in this way. Before anything else, he would spend about 1/2 an hour instructing the players on how to put on their socks!! He would make sure the socks were snug (but not too tight), since that would cause blisters...Which created problems during the course of the season. Here is the best of the best of college players...Who went on to be pros, being instructed on how to put on their socks...But it worked!! Not saying that is the problem...But if the shoe fits?? Maybe I'm not punny tonight...
Frances S.
on 3/13/12 12:40 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 Honestly I do think my socks are part of the problem too.  After last night on the TM I took my shoes off and my toes felt too snugly wrapped by my socks.

I'm feeling a little impatient to get to the running store in 2 weeks, and I could MAYBE hit the running store in Madison, WI on Friday when we go down for the 5K, but with 5 kids in the van and after a 5-hour drive, I just don't think making them stop at the running store and waiting for me will be all that pleasant.  So I'll be patient and wait until I'm in Lansing by myself so I can take my time :)
Most Active