Running/Jogging Advice

rhearob
on 4/24/12 12:26 am - TN
I need some advice people:

I never could really run before, I was just too heavy and it hurt my joints like heck.  I have lost a good amount of weight on ellipticals, stationary bikes, and by walking.  My weight loss is slowing down so I want to amp it up.  I am going to start running in the evenings.

I don't really get good workouts on gym equipment, because I just can't get into it mentally - I get too bored which doesn't happen outdoors.

Im a running newbie, so I want some advice on what to do to do this safely and effectively?  Whats the best way for a newbie to get started.  I'd like to work my way up to maybe being able to participate in a 5K this fall.

Any and all advice is welcomed.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kim S.
on 4/24/12 1:32 am - Helena, AL
Many people have success using the Couch to 5K program.

I just started running.  I ran intervals on my treadmill for about a year, and got bored.  So I decided to "take it outside".  There is a nice 4 mile paved, walking/running/biking path near my home.  I went there, put on my iPod and started running.  I could barely run at first!  It took many months for me to be able to run a full mile without stopping.

I have arthritis in my knees so they often dictate how much I can actually run.  Ironically, the more I run, the less problems I have with my knees.

Some pointers:

1)  GET FITTED FOR GOOD RUNNING SHOES.  Go to a running store and get fitted and buy them there.  They cost approx $100.  The best money I ever spent.  Make sure you spend some time stretching and warming up before you run.
2)  Google "breathing while running".  You'll find several good articles about controlling your breathing, which is key to building endurance.
3)  Listen to your body.  If you feel pain, stop running.  Walk a bit and then try again.  If you still feel pain, do not run.  It is far easier to ease into it than to recover from an injury.
4)  For me, I must have my music!  It keeps me from hearing my breathing so I don't know how tired I really am!
5)  Just do it!  Get out there and set goals for yourself....There are tunnels on my path, so when I was starting out I'd tell myself "just run to the tunnel, then you can walk".....
6)  MOST IMPORTANT-HAVE FUN!

rhearob
on 4/24/12 1:36 am - TN
 Thanks!  

Sue M.
on 4/24/12 4:57 am - Nantucket, MA
 What Kim said.

I'd add: don't try to run as fast as you can.  You definitely won't get very far.  Do whatever you think might be "jogging", and see how that feels.  You can always increase speed, but when you start out like a rocket, it can get very discouraging.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
rhearob
on 4/24/12 5:00 am - TN
 Thanks.  Ialso got great advice similar to both of these from my programs Exercise Physiologist.

Sam LifeNerd
on 4/25/12 3:26 am
 Many of us trashed our knees with our excess weight and I assumed I could not run either!!

What has worked for me is to use the BAREFOOT running shoes!!  They "teach" you to run correctly instead of the way most of us tend to use our heels instead of the balls of your feet.

There is some "controversy" of good running shoe with lots of protection vs barefoot with tons of evidence on both sides.

One of the things that convinced me was I had bought the shoes PRE-surgery and wore em a few times as sneakers for when I was gonna get wet.  (Kayaking, and such)

I put them on a few weeks ago and my nephew wanted to ride his bike (training wheels), I am JOGGING (wow) behind him to make sure he does not fall over and we do this for a while.

I come back in... my knees don't hurt.  The next morning...they STILL don't hurt!?!!  

So... I decided to see if I could do this whole COUCH to 5k running plan... I had been watching lots of folks on here succeed with it.

With all that said, I just got back in from Day 2 of Week 2.... and my knees are doing just fine!!  (My lungs wanted to explode once or twice.... but the knees are marvelous!)

So... long story extended... I have knees that grind, groan, creak, pop and protest on the stairs.. I used barefoot running shoes and the resulting new stride actually does not hurt for running!!

Final thought...my "research" into barefoot shoes..there were several stories of LONG time runners who have bad knees from running in conventional shoes for years.  They gave up running, but then tried it truly barefoot.   They discovered they could run again...that the heel strike was the issue for them!!

Couch25k is the stuff...lets get healthy!!!

rhearob
on 4/25/12 3:52 am - TN
 Thanks for the advice.  I hadn't looked at couchto5k, a friend suggested Easeinto5k and I downloaded that.  Looks like about the same program tho!

turidda25
on 8/15/12 9:40 am
 HI! I started doing couch to 5K 3 weeks ago... well almost 4... Tomorrow is my Week4 Day 1...

Its amazing that int he bgininng I could barley run 1 minute now I can do 3!!!! It may not sound alot but man I could barely walk before
rhearob
on 8/15/12 9:41 am - TN
 After 4 months on a C25k I am running 40 minutes non-stop and increasing my pace.

it is a miracle.

Most Active