Running into a "Wall"

Tom C.
on 6/29/12 2:14 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I am somewhat relatively new to the jogging scene, and I seem to be having a “reoccurring" issue.

I run about 3 – 4 times a week (one day on, one day off). I don’t run at an extremely face pace, and I try to average 12.0 pace.

Last year I was able to get up to doing 9 miles. Then I hit “a wall" and couldn’t get past the 9 miles. While I know THIS is somewhat common, what occurred next may not be. From being able to do 9 miles I went down to 7 miles; then 5 miles; then 4 miles, then I got “depressed" and stopped all together.

After about 3 months I got back “on track" (no pun intended). And would progress slowly.

Recently I’ve been doing a “steady" 6 1/2 miles (3 times a week). This week I tried for 7 miles, and I petered out between 3.5 and 4 miles. I figured I was probably running faster (I AM trying to quicken my pace), and since I was off for 4 days I thought that contributed to it too.

Yesterday, after 1 day of rest, I tried for 7 miles again, and again I failed. I did anywhere between 4.5 and 6 miles (2 devices gave 2 separate completely unrelated readings, and using a mapping website it looks as if I did 5 miles).

Now I am getting worried. Can I be falling ‘backwards’ again?

So my questions are

(1) Is this common

(2) If so, how does one break this pattern

(3) If not, any ideas what I am doing “wrong"

(4) Any suggestions that may prevent me from slipping back further?

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Paul C.
on 6/29/12 3:05 am - Cumming, GA
 Whats your diet like?  Are you taking in the type of foods that will provide you the fuel you need?
On your long runs what is your Hydration and nutrition strategy?
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Tom C.
on 6/29/12 5:04 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

GREAT question …

NORMALLY I do nothing in regards to eating/drinking before/during jogging. I have found I can just get out of bed and go 6+ miles with no issues. If it’s late in the day, then once I get home I start off. Maybe I’ll have a glass of water before I leave, but nothing more then that.

The day I petered I had some (steel oats) oatmeal, with 1/8 cup of raisins about 90 minutes before I went jogging. Yesterday I had a protein drink (made with skim milk) about an hour before I left. Yesterday was a hot day (around 85) but not humid. Two days prior it was a “beautiful" day – around 70 with no humidity.

As for my diet, it’s normal: I am trying to get in 80 to 100 grams of protein per day (more on the jogging day)

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Scott William
on 6/29/12 10:49 am
Often times when I as marathon training, I would start out with a long run goal but after a few miles I would just lose it mentally ad give up on the run. Other times, I would hammer it. I am wondering if it is more of a mental hurdle that you are facing since you seem to do 6.5 but 7 is tough. It could have more to do with the number than how you actuallf feel.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Tom C.
on 7/5/12 8:42 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Scott,

Thanks for replying. I too began to wonder if its a mental thing. If so are there any "tricks" to get over it?

Tom

Jamie Z.
on 7/5/12 2:43 am - MI
How long (time wise) are your workouts? You may need something like gu or some other shot of glucose if you have expende d your glycogen stores. I hit my wall after about 75 minutes, so I know if I do a 2+ hour workout I have to supplement while working out.

I just completed a half marathon and used about 6 gu (one every 40 min or so) and I was able to finish in 3hr 3min.

I know so much is preached to us about low carb high protein, but when you work out for extended periods of time you need carbs.

My goals right now are for 50% carb 25% protein 25% fat, as I am marathon training, and I know it if I am not getting enough carbs.

Tom C.
on 7/5/12 8:48 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Jamie

I am a "slow" jogger so 6+ miles takes me around an 1hour 20. Today I did about 6.5 miles and it took about 90 minutes.

What is GU? And where does one find it?

My ultimate goal is to do a half marathon so any additional help / suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Tom

Jamie Z.
on 7/5/12 1:21 pm - MI
Www.guenergy.com. I get mine at vitamin shoppe, gnc, or any sporting goods store sells it.

Its 100 calories per pack, and something like 5g of sugar, but it has the carbs you need. If you work out for extended periods of time you need the boost. Chocolate is my fave it tastes like frosting! Most of the flavors have caffiene too, but not all.

oncetwice
on 7/10/12 5:55 pm
 i know this is a few days old but just to add some input..

IF it is a mental issue for you, you might want to try taking a different route around the spot where you lose your momentum or decide to turnback or stop/go home.

i have anxiety and depression issues, and i just stated a walking regiment. i find that on my walks i have several very specific spots that trigger a shut down in me where i get an incredibly strong urge to stop and just go home. 

for me, the solution is as simple as walking on the other side of the street, or turning the corner before i reach the spot so i dont approach it, but walk around it (then i can hit the spot on my way home and it wont matter).
Tom C.
on 7/24/12 12:33 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Thanks for the advice!!

Tom

Most Active