5k advice for a non-runner, please!

Amy D.
on 9/2/12 11:43 am, edited 9/6/12 1:55 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
My hubby is a runner and does everything up to half marathons (so far--I see full marathons in his future, tho!). I love going to the races with him and cheering him on but I'd like to be more involved because it just looks like so much fun. And I want a medal, dammit!

So, my question is, how crazy/lazy/silly is it to run/jog* a 5k? I walk four or five miles every day at a brisk pace for my regular exercise and occasionally do jogging intervals but I just can't seem to run for any sustainable length of time. I also do an 8 mile long walk each week while my hubby does his long run. Will I be ridiculously slow if I try to walk a 5k? I'm not a speed walker but I can walk at a fairly brisk pace. It would be nice to do the 5k/mini-marathons when he's doing his half or whatever.

What say you internet peeps?

EDIT: I mean WALK/jog not run/jog. Dude, I can't run! I'm an idiot!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
acbbrown
on 9/2/12 1:29 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Just sign up and go do it! I was 350 lbs when I did my first 5k and walked it entirely in 50 minutes. And I was far from last! There are many walkers in my experience. Look for fun themed runs as they tend to attract more casual walkers. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

teresalawson
on 9/2/12 4:51 pm
 You've got this in the bag!  You're already prepped.  I was around 300 lbs and I started walking races.  I was around 220 lbs and walked by first half marathon.  What you might do is start off with run intervals instead of trying to run solid.  That's how to progress into running it.  For example, run 1 min, walk 2 min, then the next week, run 1.5 min, walk 2 min.  There are several C25k programs nation wide offered in many cities.  And I've seen good plans outlined online too.  If you are already walking that much, you can totally do it!  Go for it!

Amy D.
on 9/3/12 6:23 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Thanks guys, I think I'll go for it! Besides, it's not like coming in last is the worst thing that could happen, right?

You two have inspired me, so thanks!

rjsams
on 9/3/12 7:27 am - Eagan, MN
You've definitely got this.  If you want to work toward more running, look at Jeff Galloway's run/walk interval training programs.  He gradually moves you from more walking/less running, to the reverse.  There are lots of people doing 5Ks or longer races using his interval techniques and having a great time.

Amy D.
on 9/3/12 11:04 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Thanks, I'll have to look into that!

Iteach-preK
on 9/3/12 5:53 pm - KY
couch to 5 k program would be easy for you if you do all that walking already. you could look that one up.
teach
Dot T.
on 9/3/12 7:25 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 Couch to 5k is wonderful!  Look up the app for your smart phone or iPod touch. With the one I use on my phone, I can listen to my own music I have downloaded or any other music app on my phone, such as local radio stations, etc  There are also some on iTunes you can download for any other type of mp3 player. 
meltrace
on 9/3/12 9:33 pm - Sacramento, CA
My first 5k was the color run and it wasnt a timed event. Many people walked the entire 5k.
akr9911
on 9/4/12 1:05 pm
VSG on 06/20/13
I agree completely that you can do this! And coming in last, which I highly doubt will happen anyway, is still finishing what you started and a victory in and of itself. GO FOR IT!!
Most Active