Bike or walk?

mrivas
on 7/18/16 9:46 am

Hi, i am newbie and i am to lose weight, what do you recommend me an stationary bike or walk? on both ways, how much time i need to expend to lose about 5 - 8 lbs on one month ( 3 - 4kg)

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/16 4:03 pm

I am doing walks, but seriously thinking about biking. I see overweight people trying to lose weight by walking, but have never seen a biker that is overweight.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/20/16 1:50 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Anyone can be overweight doing anything, if you eat enough ;) I used to be overweight biking 130 miles a week on average. Would see other heavy cyclists. 

Cycling is great for joints though, doesnt really hurt ya. So long as you dont flare your knees out while you ride

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

swim_bike_smile
on 7/27/16 10:07 am
RNY on 06/13/16

I bike all of the time, and I've been morbidly obese for most of my life :)

highlandbear
on 7/18/16 6:41 pm - Canada

I would start with walking.  People tend to get bored with stationary equipment. Plus it is so nice out why not use this good weather to exercise instead of being indoors. Plus with riding it takes time for certain parts of the body not to hurt. I have seen people give up on bikes after 10 minutes because they can not sit any longer. I love seeing people out doors and enjoying the weather. look for a walking group and meet new people. Have fun

docbad32
on 7/19/16 6:44 am

You want to lose weight?  Eat better.  You want to feel better?  Do whatever exercise you find enjoyable.

VSG:  3/12/15

Steph Meat Hag
on 7/19/16 12:25 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Download Pokemon Go and get outside.  That's only sort of funny because I've been walking miles and miles the last two weeks and not even thought one thought about doing it.  I had to go get new shoes one night because I realized I'd lost enough weight they were too loose and all the miles I was racking up playing was causing my feet to hurt.  

Bike if you really hate hot weather and have one already.  If you like the idea of reading while riding or watching tv that's cool too.  But they do make your butt hurt and honestly doing that stuff inside is just not as fun as walking.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/20/16 5:34 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I would concentrate more on what you're eating to lose the weight rather than the exercise. By no means I'm not saying don't exercise but you might be disappointed that the scale doesn't show your weight loss efforts.

I only say that because starting a new weight loss routine/change of exercise routine your body won't be used to it & will hold onto water weight, the scale might even..gasp..show a gain & you might get discouraged from working out, or you'll go nuts & work out even harder/longer & the body might go into a wtf are you doing to me mode.

That being said, I'd start out with walking. I bought one of those fitbit things & its really nice to reach my goals. Plus its easy to do, you can increase speed & distance as you get better.

Bike riding is really good too & is easy on the joints. I went from walking a lot to riding as much as I can outside. I've even had times while I was walking & think if I was riding I'd be there by now. lol

Bike riding at home is a back up for when it's crappy outside.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

inflyn76
on 7/20/16 9:33 pm

You should have a proper diet plan and also regular workouts. You should not starve yourself, consult a good dietitian and get a diet chart. Without controlling your food and doing exercise won't help you to lose weight. I prefer walking than biking.   

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/16 12:43 am

I mix it up and sometimes bike, other times walk and now I can even jog again. You don't need to go to a gym or do anything special. Basic walking will do everything you need if you make the time.

I highly recommend tracking your steps on something like Fitbit or your cell phone using MyFitNessPal. If you aim for 10k steps a day, you'll be in great shape. I almost never hit this target but when I'm closer to 1 or 2k, I know it's time to get off my butt any do anything, even just walking around the block.

Most Active