cabin111’s Posts

cabin111
on 2/10/10 4:44 am
Topic: RE: Wednesday's Workouts!!!
It is about 60 degrees and partly sunny today in CA.  I rode my bike to McDonalds and back (about 2 miles each way).  Will ride to the library in a couple hours to do some tutoring (she's working toward her GED...and I think she'll get it).  Maybe a walk this evening...maybe not.  I need to get back to my easy weights...5 pounders for toneing again.  Brian
cabin111
on 2/10/10 4:30 am
Topic: RE: Help! Can you gain weight from exercising?
The age old question...How is your sugar and carb intake??  If you are exercising hard then going out for pizzaa and a beer...maybe that's the answer.  Also water retention from your cycle might be to blame also.  You're doing great...avoid the carb monster and you should be fine.  Brian
cabin111
on 1/1/10 8:25 am
Topic: RE: New Years Day Workouts!!!
Rode my bike for 25 minutes...watched some football...then rode for another 25 minutes.  Then did some sunbathing.
cabin111
on 1/1/10 3:30 am
Topic: RE: Exercise and common sense carb loading...
Thanks Dan.  So do you think peanutbutter and bananas are a good choice before this type of exercise?  Would stew (beef and vegetables) be better?  Would keeping a piece of apple in my pocket be good toward the end (sugar level)?  Thoughts? 
cabin111
on 12/31/09 2:05 pm
Topic: RE: Exercise and common sense carb loading...
Just wanted to run some ideas by you guys concerning carbs.  I don't do heavy exercise anymore.  But I will bike between 5-7 miles per day...for most of you that is nothing, but for me it gets my heart rate up and it is a workout (I'm 54+ and have had two heart attacks over the years).  I have a heavy (weight) bike so it is more work for me.  If I don't bike I will usually walk for about 45 minutes a day or bike and walk (one in the morning...one in the afternoon).  I want to use carbs the right way before I get on the bike.  I try and have some peanutbutter and fruit before the ride.  Since it is not major exercise (unless it is over 90 degrees outside) would this be the way to go before each workout?  Pasta doesn't make sense for something so short, but I want good carbs for the workout and have basic energy in storage...Thoughts?  Brian
cabin111
on 11/15/09 9:26 am
Topic: RE: Sunday's Workout!
Rode my bicycle 4+ miles to church...brought along my McDonalds Coffee so the sermon went a lot faster...at least I thought it did.  Then rode back home to watch football (Raiders stink).  I dress warm (even thought it's California),  but I am ready to bring out the thermal bottoms now...
cabin111
on 11/14/09 8:46 am
Topic: RE: "Walking" the bike up a hill...
Last month my wife and I went over to Montery (she did window shopping while I rode my bicycle).  A lot of hills over there...very steep.  I live in the Central Valley with very little hills (98% of the time my rides have no hills at all).  Just wondering if some of you could give me some tips on how to "walk" the bike up a hill.  I know I put it into low gear...lift my butt off of the seat...and try and use my hands in tandem with my legs.  Any other thoughts??  If the hill is so steep do you have to get off the bike and walk beside it till you can ride?  Also the hill zaps my energy like nothing else...Thoughts.  Brian  PS  Below is the bike I ride...not for competition but for enjoyment...

cabin111
on 10/29/09 7:03 am
Topic: RE: Phobia...Mania...Riding my bike and country dogs...
I live on the edge of town.  I usually ride my bike into town...I know where the best roads are.  I would like to ride out in the country more.  It's just that in the country you have people who care less about controlling their dogs.  If I see a large dog 100 yards away I will turn around and ride the other way...Just don't want to challenge it (them).  I never know if I should just ride through, kick at the dog, or yell.  Any ideas would be great.  What do you do??  Brian
cabin111
on 9/3/09 5:01 am
Topic: RE: Thursday's Workout
Rode my bike 2 miles to McDonalds...got a coffee...then 2 miles back.  Hopefully this evening I'll just ride around the neighborhood for 20-30 minutes.  Need to pack...My wife and I are going to see my daughter up at Montana State...long trip...being from CA.  I'm bringing up her bike.  Also going to see my brother in Boise.  I'll try and spend an hour using her bike on these really great bike paths they have in the middle of the city.  These are some of the best laid out paths anywhere.  The paths go along the river...go by the state capital...go near Boise State.  That is what I plan to do this Labor Day weekend!!  Brian
cabin111
on 9/2/09 12:22 pm
Topic: RE: Race Report TBF Super Sprint Triathlon
I remember about 6 months ago you were all upset about finishing last in the marathon.  Looks like you kicked Scott's butt from the race last year.  Also finished in the top half of your age group...Not too shabby!!
cabin111
on 9/2/09 9:22 am
Topic: RE: Music suggestions
Early Rod Stewart...before he went mellow.  Bruce Hornsby and the Range, Neal Young, Christopher Cross...
cabin111
on 8/19/09 6:41 am
Topic: RE: Riding my bicycle in smog??

First...haven't been over to this forum for awhile...good to see some old friends here.  I try and bike between 4-7 miles a day.  I'll run errans with the bike.  If it is raining or too cold I will just walk around the neighborhood.  As many of you know I have had 2 heart attacks over the years.  I really want to ride my bike daily but I am concerned about the smog.  We are having the fires here in California.  We also have the almonds harvest coming up.  It becomes very dusty (almonds) and being in a valley we have a lot of trapped air.  I am thinking that it is best to do my bike riding or walking in the morning or after 7:00pm.  Am I playing with fire riding in the heat of the day?  Brian  PS  Both my heart attacks occured in the summer during smoggy days.  I think I'm answering my own questions...

Most Active