cabin111’s Posts

cabin111
on 5/15/15 4:16 pm
Topic: RE: finally picked up bike

Good choice...You'll like it a lot.  Here are a few things I did to my Trek you may want to consider...Depending on cost and convenience.  I got a kick stand...Very handy.  I also paid about $60. more to get the handle bars raised about 1 more inch (special part)...That my not seem like much, but with a bad back, it was well worth it in my case.  The other thing I got was a more comfortable seat (bigger/wider).  Just some thoughts.  Brian

cabin111
on 5/15/15 3:52 pm
Topic: RE: So any good excuse for not riding your bike??

Yeah, I know many of you have physical limitations.  But come on you people that can, yesterday was national bike to work day...Some of you, get going!!  Ask someone to help fix that old piece of junk and enjoy the springtime!!

Two Mile Touring

This time of year, I usually find myself in conversation with someone who is curious about my bike habit. Often they feel like they could never do it themselves.  So I usually give some simple starting advice.I'd Bike But...

Because pretty much anyone can ride a bicycle for two miles- for fun, to run an errand, to get dinner with a friend, to explore their neighborhood. Maybe after that they’ll ride two more miles… and then two more…then two more.

cabin111
on 5/15/15 8:46 am, edited 5/15/15 9:01 am
Topic: RE: finally picked up bike

Cool cool cool!!  What number is it?  I ride a Trek 7.3...I rode it to the coffee shop, paid the garbage bill, and to the bank this afternoon.  As the weight drops, the bike becomes more and more your friend...Easier to push you weight (body) through the peddles/gravity/resistance.

cabin111
on 4/26/15 10:00 am
Topic: RE: Fuel for long workouts

Nuts to you!!  No, not that...Different nuts...Mix in some dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc) and you're good to go with both jogging and hiking.  Brian  PS  Know the signs of dehydration...It's the # 1 reason WLS patients reenter the hospital...As it gets warmer out there.

cabin111
on 4/12/15 1:47 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 4/6-12

Just a lot of bike riding and lawn mowing.  It's getting warmer in CA...over 80 degrees here today.  Good weather for projects and the bike...

cabin111
on 4/11/15 2:25 pm
Topic: RE: Reminder...Google Maps and bicycling

Just a reminder for those who don't know.  If you like bike riding you can go to Google Maps and look up local bike routes in your city.  It's just a drop down bar on the left (where you put the street name or city.  The bike routes are in green.  Brian

cabin111
on 4/3/15 10:02 am, edited 4/3/15 10:06 am
Topic: RE: Best exercise fitness investment(s) you have made?

My Trek 7.3...It the closest thing to an idol that I have.  It gives me my freedom and away time.  I use a larger seat than the ones shown.  I also had the handlebars raised higher (bad back).  Put a kick stand on mine also.  In the video it's the black one with green trim.  Let's ride!!  Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9T4j0jacvE

cabin111
on 3/20/15 2:38 pm
Topic: RE: Exercise seems counter productive

Disregard if you have seen this before.  But for you new people who hit a stall for several weeks and feel frustrated that the scale is not moving the copy and paste below may help you...Brian  

Below is a copy and paste from DX...very knowledgeable man.  It might help.  

Still staying on-track calorie-wise? And the scale shows you stopping? Or Even Gaining?!?!? ----------------------------Re-Post Unsolicitedadvice/info… -------------------------------------- Pull back from your ‘daily’ charting, and look at a weekly or even monthly. There are up and down spikes each day, But if you ‘graph’ the highest to the lowest, I’d bet there is still A downward slope over the course of the month. There’s an 8 to 10lb. volume of "wiggle room" due to water alone. And it comes into play a lot. This has to do with our bodies using glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, But it is stored in our muscles for quick energy – One pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, And the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, (Like when you drop down to your calorie intake) Your body turns first to stored glycogen, Which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, You also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it Voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of any diet. As you stay in caloric deficit, however, Your body starts to ‘realize’ that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue And burning fat for energy. But your body also ‘realizes’---- (by way of your liver releasing hormones signaling low Cal intake) ---That fat can't be used for short bursts of energy – Like, to outrun a saber-tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, And rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, (Thus showing negative Calorie load overall) Your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while As you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored. Yes? The whole ‘weight-loss’ process is not a straight "Slide" down the scale. More like "Stair-Steps," (Down then forward, then down, then forward, etc... As your body cycles fat out of "deep storage" and through the Liver Into the muscles as Glycogen. The muscles and Liver can hold about a 3 weeks supply. This is why many people find that their "Stall" or "Plateau" Breaks when adding a bit of exercise And upping their water intake, or in the case of an "extreme exerciser," The total Calorie or Protein Intake, To signal the liver to let go of more Glycogen. Fear not, many people who are now enjoying life at a normal BMI Once had a few weeks or so of thinking- "...my weight loss has been awfully slow, has it stopped..."? Hope this helps some. You are doing Great! Keep it Up! Best Wishes-Mike Wazowski Dx

cabin111
on 3/15/15 6:43 am
Topic: RE: Best exercise to cut belly fat?

Cheapest way is to go onto Youtube and type in "Core Exercises".  See which videos look good and try them out.  Like others have said, you really can't spot reduce in that area...But with core exercises and weight loss that area should look better.  When I was dropping my weight fast, it seemed like I would reduce in different areas.  Where I had put on the weight last, before RNY, was the first place I started to lose.  So...My back started getting smaller, then belly-neck-butt reduced...Then the back some more...Then the belly-neck-butt and legs again.  My 2 cents...

cabin111
on 3/6/15 10:53 am
Topic: RE: Dream of being a runner.

What many or most of the people here on OH use to start a running program is Couch to 5K.  Everyone is trying to take credit for that program...You may want to download the app or there are free ones on line.  Some people like the app because it beeps on when to walk and when to jog.  If you are having problems with one week (you find it hard to do), just repeat that week...No worries.  I will tell you one thing.  When you cross the finish line of your first 5K you will be crying.  You can bet on it...  Now go take on the world!!

cabin111
on 2/25/15 7:31 am
Topic: RE: What Motivates You to Exercise?

For me it's simple...I was dying!!  I had/have congestive heart failure.  My heart was pumping out at 35% (ejection/fraction rate).  I asked my cardiologist if there was anything that could be done.  He said weight loss may help.  I lost the weight and my ejection/fraction rate has been in the normal range for over 8 years...Praise God.  About 6 months ago my cardiologist told me I was retaining fluid.  I freaked out and lost about 25 pounds real quickly.  Have gained about 10 back.  Anyways...Dying can be a real motivator in ones life...

So today I rode my bike...And tonight is ballroom dance with my wife...Isn't there an old Greek saying "when you stop dancing you die"!! 

cabin111
on 2/25/15 7:12 am
Topic: RE: Insane Inflateable 5Ks...Has anyone done it??

It looks like fun.  Below is a link...Don't know if it will work. 

http://insaneinflatable5k.com/

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQjBAwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Finsaneinflatable5k.com%2Fobstacles%2F&ei=b1buVJ3JCZG5ogTA1YD4BA&usg=AFQjCNG0A2q-1l0gMnMyoT-dyrcHa1merg&sig2=nQZvFbb90WgYaF-bWrbW-A

cabin111
on 1/28/15 1:20 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 1/26

Old timer here...I live in CA.  I don't post much, but I ride my bicycle between 4-7 days a week depending on the weather and what I've got going on.  I also do walking around the block and house.  I've had 2 heart attacks, double heart bypass and a stent.  I exercise, but never try to push myself to exhaustion. 

My wife and I dared each other to join a ballroom dance class.  So, tonight (second week) we finished the fox trot...Next week is the tango!!  Pooped at the end of the night...Not having used certain muscles in years!!  Brian

cabin111
on 1/24/15 7:20 am
Topic: RE: Harvard study on keeping your waistline thin...

Lift more for a smaller waist | Weight training vs. running to shrink abdominal fat

January 22, 2015 By Jon Anderson

In the battle of the belly, you’d better bring some iron.

That’s the lesson from a new study out of Harvard that found that over the long haul, 20 minutes of daily weight training does more to reduce abdominal fat than the same amount of time doing aerobic workouts.

For the best results, though, combine them. Weight training combined with hitting the treadmill or running yields the best results, researchers say.

“This study underscores the importance of weight training in reducing abdominal obesity,” says Harvard professor Frank Hu, senior author of the study. “To maintain a healthy weight and waistline, it is critical to incorporate weight training with aerobic exercise.”

The study was recently published in the medical journal Obesity.

Researchers examined the physical activity, waist circumference and body weight of 10,500 healthy U.S. men ages 40 and older.

Analysis included a comparison of changes in activity levels over a 12-year period to see which activities had the most effect on the men’s waistlines.

Those who raised the amount of time spent in weight training by 20 minutes a day saw 68 percent less gain in their waistlines than those who upped their workouts by about 20 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous aerobic exercise.

Confirming the obvious, those who spent more time couch surfing, instead of exercising more, got the biggest bulges.

“Because aging is associated with sarcopenia, the loss of skeletal muscle mass, relying on body weight alone is insufficient for the study of healthy aging,” says Rania Mekary, a nutrition expert at Harvard’s School of Public Health who helped lead the research.

“Engaging in resistance training or, ideally, combining it with aerobic exercise could help older adults lessen abdominal fat while increasing or preserving muscle mass,” she says.

cabin111
on 1/6/15 2:23 pm
Topic: RE: A WLS marathoner story retold...

Just wanted to mention the California Board on OH was really tight back then, especially the people in LA.  RNY was still pretty new and people were dying to find any information they could about it.  When I first had my surgery, we were using dial up internet.  The local support group was your lifeline.  Things have changed much since those days...But this one story still touches my heart in a special way. 

cabin111
on 1/6/15 2:07 pm
Topic: RE: A WLS marathoner story retold...

I use to post this on Thanksgiving over the years on this board.  I stopped a few years back.  Maybe now is a good time for you new people to see where WLS can take you.

I would like to clarify the story below, so there is no misunderstanding.  I read this story on OH about a year and a half ago.  I decided to save it and repost it.  I have never met Lola and would have liked to have received her permission before I posted it.  She has restricted access to her OH account, so I couldn't e-mail her and ask her permission to post this.  I am not a stalker...Just kept this post because it touched me so.  Thought I would share it for Thanksgiving.  Brian

Post Date: 5/27/09 12:04 am
Last Edit: 5/27/09 12:26 am
My day started at 4:30 am I was wide awake and ready to go. I have been training for 33 weeks so why would I be nervous right? LOL! I wasn’t really nervous but full of emotions. We left our room at 5:30 am and walked to the elevator. The first elevator opened and it was jammed packed with runners. We decided to wait for another, the next one opened and it was full of runners. This time we squeezed ourselves in and to the lobby we went. There were runners everywhere and we had not even left the lobby of the hotel. We left the hotel and started our walk to the APLA meeting area.

There were people everywhere and it was a bit overwhelming. Once we got to a certain area only runners were allowed in and all these photographers were there stopping us to take our pictures. It was surreal, I felt like a celebrity. At about 6:45 am we made our way to the starting line. There were so many people all lined up waiting for the horn.

Finally, at 7:30ish the horn went off and the fast paced walked began to the starting line. The tears were falling down my face. It took me about 4 minutes to get to the starting line and off I went.

The first five miles I ran for one minute and walked for three. I took it nice and easy and took in the crowd, the cheering and the nice morning breeze. It all felt so unreal, as if I was dreaming. I was reflecting on the past 10 ½ months and how far I have come. I held back the tears a lot and tried to focus on my run.

At mile 5, I picked up my pace. I was doing really well; I was 3 minutes ahead of my pace and switched to a 1:2 pace. I was feeling really good and energized. There was so much to take in, all the people sitting outside their homes cheering us on, the generosity of strangers and all the runners by my side.

I was still feeling really strong and at mile 10 we approached our first and biggest hill. I hate hills and was not looking forward to what was ahead. My watch beeped and I began to run. For the first time I began to question what I was doing and began doubting myself, this hill was kicking my a$$. One of my running mates looked at me and said, “Lena, you can do this! You are amazing keep going.” Little did she know that her words gave me strength and I conquered the hill with ease.

Miles 13 to 18 were relatively smooth; however I was beginning to slow down. We were now five minutes behind pace and the sun was starting to beat down on us. My mom was really beginning to struggle at this point so I slowed down and stayed close to her. I was determined to get both of us to the finish line. I was really excited to get to mile 19 because Kirsten was waiting to join us to help us finish our marathon.

We were greeted at mile 19 with hugs and smiles from Kirsten (who turned out to be our saving grace). She came in with encouragement and distraction. Her words of encouragement carried us when we were struggling. Somehow we managed to get back onto pace and we again were 3 minutes ahead of pace.

Miles 20 to 22 were a bit of a blur. I started to feel light headed and felt like giving up. I was hot, than I was cold. I had the chills one minute and I was sweating the next. Mentally I was drained. The one minute runs were getting longer and longer and the two minute walks were getting shorter and shorter. We took a few extra walk breaks to rest our bodies.

At mile 23, I began to feel better and the finish line was just around the corner. While running, I go somewhere mentally, I couldn’t tell you where my mind goes, but it disconnects from my body and I get a crazy surge of energy.

I don’t remember passing mile 24 and all of a sudden I could see mile 25 in the horizon.

Mile 25 brought on a wave of emotions. I was overcome with happiness, sadness and relief. It was a moment I had dreamed of for over 15 years. My mom grabbed my hand and looked intently into my eyes and said to me, “Lena you go on! You go and under no circunstances do you look back!”

So, off I went! I was in my zone. I got my strength from a strange place. It came from all those in my life that doubted me, that teased me, that called me names or ignored me because I was fat. It came from those that believed in me and encouraged me to go after my dreams. The tears fell down my face for the last mile and .2. LOL! I could see the banner for Mile 26 and I tried to find any ounce of energy in my body. I looked back; I needed to know my mom was still behind me. She was and I could still see her. I powered on.

I passed under the Mile 26 banner. The last .2 was the longest part of the entire race. People were cheering. I was crying and before I knew it I crossed the finish line. 7 hours and 18 minutes after I started the most amazing race of my life. They put the medal around my neck and I headed back to the finish line to see my mom cross the finish line. She finished two minutes after me.

May 25, 2009 is a day that I will never forget. Less than 11 months ago I weighed 330 pounds and I couldn’t walk a mile without feeling completely exhausted. I had made a decision to take control of my life and give up my addiction to food. I made the best choice for myself and for my son and I had gastric bypass surgery. It saved my life! I am so thankful everyday and I never imagined that in 11 months I would say I just completed a MARATHON! It is so unbelievable.

I would like to thank all of you for your support and words of encouragement. It has meant the world to me.

Scott—you are truly amazing. Thank you for your dedication and coaching. I couldn’t have done this without you and your family. You are my inspiration and my mentor. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Kirsten—Double squeezes for you! Thank you for all your support, your friendship and for getting us to the finish line. It takes a very special person to take time to meet two runners at mile 19 and finish the race with them. I will forever be grateful to you! Your friendship means a lot to me.

Kevin—The same goes to you!

Janine--- you lady are incredible. Your ongoing support, unconditional love, and selflessness is refreshing and unique. You inspire me and remind me that this tool works. Your belief in me has kept me going over the past 33 weeks. You are truly one of a kind!

Barb--- My special pal. Thank you for your love and support.

Michelle W--- Thanks for believing in me and for cheering me on.

Liz—Thanks for the late night chats on FB and for believing in me.

To all my fellow runners—Keep running.

To everyone else---- Reach for the stars! Challenge yourself in ways that you never imagined. If I can do it you can do it.

Good night OH!

Mahbod Mark Paya, M. D.RNY (07/17/08) Member Since: 04/17/08
[Latest Posts]

Lola A.
So. Cal,
CA

cabin111
on 1/6/15 8:38 am, edited 1/6/15 8:39 am
Topic: RE: OH Community Help: How do you stay active during the cold winter months?

I live in CA...It hit 65 degrees today...I had to suffer through it, but I managed!!  I rode my bike today (doctor's office and Wendy's Chili).  I ride my bike most days here.  When it is raining outside I will put on some music and just walk around the house, my little paths...30-45 minute.  I will add some jogging to it.  I will sometimes pick up a 2-3 pound weight and move it around my body while I'm walking.  You don't need a weight...Just use a can or anything that weights 2-4 pounds...Put it over your head, move it around your back, hold it in front of you...Be creative.  During my walk I will come up to a kitchen counter and do modified pushups too.  I will also punch and kickbox the air.  No one is watching (it looks strange to an outsider)...But it works for me.  Brian

cabin111
on 1/3/15 2:23 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery and cycling

I'll try to be as honest as I can about this.  First, wondering how many miles a day you will be riding in the June fundraiser?  Most doctors want 4-6 weeks of healing (with words like "no lifting of anything over 20 pounds").  I think you may need to forego the trip this year...These are just my ideas (for what they are worth).  Say if you had the surgery in March or so you will still be healing from the surgery.  When I had my surgery (a male at age 51 at the time), I decided to exercise hard when allowed to.  I was losing up to 10 pounds a week...Great for the weight loss, but the energy that it takes out of you comes with a cost.  I (and others) would try and grab for the energy, but it just wasn't there, because of the rapid weight loss.  Before I could grab a Snickers Bar or something...Not post RNY (if you are getting RNY).  Also dehydration is the # 1 reason WLS people reenter the hospital post op.  Many of the exercisers here on these boards allowed the healing and weight loss process to take place...Regain their strength, and proceed to rebuild muscle mass.  You will probably lose some muscle mass with the weight loss.  It will come back but it can take months!!  Just trying to be realistic in my assessment.  When I do longer bike rides I carry banana chips, Cheerios, nuts, a piece of a protein bar (whey protein isolate), and raisins (if you can handle the sugar).  Also you don't know how you will handle sugar and dumping.  Would hate to have a dumping issue in the middle of nowhere.  Good luck...My 2 cents...Brian in Turlock. 

cabin111
on 11/13/14 10:33 am
Topic: RE: Endurance chow

Some foods high in potassium...For what it's worth; bananas (banana chips), raisins, oranges (orange juice), prunes, dried apricots...These are good for electrolytes, but I don't know how your system will handle some of that stuff, esp the acid part (oranges).  I put nuts, raisins, banana chips, and beef jerkey in my pockets for long rides...But the farthest I'll go is 10 miles because of my heart.  Brian

cabin111
on 11/7/14 7:54 am
Topic: RE: OH Community Help - Share your Exercise Tips

If you can physically walk or ride your bike (trike) to do errands...Do it.  If the weather is bad outside...Put on some good music and move (walk, dance, exercise) around the house.  Hard physical work helps with weight loss and builds muscles.  Clean windows, clean the fridge, clean out the car, walk the dog, wash the dog, gardening (prune those bushes yourself).  If you don't know how to prune, look online and take them on.  Walk away from the TV, internet, phone!!  Turn them off and move...Just move... 

cabin111
on 10/31/14 10:14 am
Topic: RE: British study on exercise and eating...

This is basic...We all know this...But just showing what a good lifestyle produces.  Brian

A group of men from Caerphilly in South Wales celebrated completing a pioneering 35-year health study - beating killer diseases by making simple changes to their lifestyle.

The volunteers from Caerphilly gave regular reports of physical activity, alcohol consumption, and diet Photo: Wales News

The writer Kingsley Amis once quipped that there was no pleasure worth giving up for the sake of two more years in a geriatric home in Weston-super-Mare.

But for pensioners who have been following a pioneering health regime for the last 35 years, an ascetic lifestyle appears to be the secret of a fit and happy old age.

In 1979, 2,500 men were asked to follow five simple rules – eat well, work out, drink less, keep their weight down and never smoke.

Nearly four decades on, just 25 pensioners have managed to stick to the plan. But they are all far fitter and healthier than the volunteers who gave up.

Those who stuck to the plan have dramatically cut their risk of cancer, diabetes, heart-attack, stroke and dementia.  

•               
    •             

Retired teacher Leighton Jones, 80, rides 35 miles a week around the hills and valleys near his home in Caerphilly, South Wales and walks up to two miles every other day.

"I have followed the healthy steps for many years now and feel pretty fit. Cycling keeps my body fit while scrabble keep the mind fit,” said Grandad Mr Jones.

"I do have a beer or wine most nights but I drink in moderation."

Bachelor Ray Grace, 80, also kept up with the regime for 35 years. He travels all over Wales and the West Country refereeing college American football matches and walks and jogs two miles every day near his home in the village of Llanbradach.

He said: "I'll go on as long as I am able to. I've been refereeing for nearly 30 years now and still get a thrill out of it."

"As far as I'm concerned it's been a great success. It has been invaluable for me and I'm pleased to have been part of it.

"I've stuck pretty well to the healthy lifestyle laid down and met with the researchers half a dozen times over the years.”

The volunteers, all from Caerphilly gave researchers regular reports of their physical activity, alcohol consumption, and diet. Their wives and families helped by completing regular food frequency questionnaires.

The recommended physical activity was to walk two or more miles to work each day, cycle 10 or more miles to work each day, or regular "vigorous" exercise.

Every five years the men were re-questioned and re-examined along with their medical records to identify new cases of diabetes, heart disease and strokes.

The researchers found non-smoking, an acceptable BMI, a high fruit and vegetable intake, regular physical activity, and moderate alcohol intake were associated with reductions in the incidence of certain chronic diseases.

Study leader Professor Peter Elwood, of Cardiff University, said: "As a nation, we must wake up to the preventive power of living a healthy life.

"Thirty years ago, only 25 men in our study followed all five of our recommended healthy steps.

"Following these steps did not give them complete protection against disease but the men who developed a disease, did so at a much older age than the men neglectful of their lifestyle.

"The development of heart disease was delayed by up to 12 years, and it was up to around an additional six years before dementia took its grip.

"It shows that following a healthy lifestyle staves off disease and premature death."

The reduction in cases of dementia was welcomed by experts yesterday.

Alzheimer's Society Research Communications Manager Clare Walton said: "We have known for some time that what is good for your heart is also good for your head.

"The landmark Caerphilly study, part funded by Alzheimer's Society, showed that healthy living can reduce the chances of dementia by up to 60 per cent."

Dementia expert Professor John Gallacher of Cardiff University said: "The Caerphilly Study has made a tremendous contribution to UK Science.

"These are exciting times as we gear-up to do research that will bring significant public benefit, helping older people everywhere to have longer and more satisfying lives."

Facebook  
    Twitter  
  Email  
    LinkedIn  

•  

•  

•  

cabin111
on 10/3/14 12:44 pm
Topic: RE: What works the best ?

Ditto on the lifting and walking.  I thought I would (post op) go into things like tennis, racquetball, golf, basketball...Things like that post op.  I went from sport to sport till I found my niche.  I have back problems so I could not handle the pounding of most sport.  I finally decided on walking and the bicycle.  Those for me personally were the best...Others may vary.  Many people who have found the new weight loss want to take on a 5K.  There are apps and online programs (Couch to 5K) that are popular to train for one.  On the 5K's, if you can't run the whole thing, don't sweat it.  You are not a failure if you can only run some of it or have to walk the whole thing. Just getting out and competing is the main thing...try and better your efforts.  You are doing this for your health...Pushing yourself for a better body and longer life...Not in a race with others.

2 other things on the weight loss.  Men and younger women tend to loose the weight faster...In general (don't flame me on that one).  If you get the RNY or DS surgery you may loose some muscle mass.  Not a lot, but it probably will happen.  You will be losing the weight so fast that along with the fat will come some muscle.  When you are in rapid weight loss you will get into an issue with your energy level dropping.  You may try and grab for it, but it just won't be there.  The energy level does comes back after many months, and when you have stabilized on your weight.  But during the rapid weight loss you are using fat cells (really glycogen), cycled from your liver.  You may find your energy lacking as you exercise...Again, don't worry...The energy level comes back.  One last thing...Know the signs of dehydration.  Dehydration is the # 1 reason WLS patients return to the hospital.  If you are exercising hard and start to show the signs (which you will look up after reading this), you can be aware and take it easy if necessary.  So, "patience grasshopper" concerning the healing process...Then "go get'em tiger" when you are released for full exercise.  Brian  PS  Working the core (core exercises) are important too...But that is a whole 'nother issue...  

cabin111
on 8/29/14 9:21 am
Topic: RE: I Love Walking But Developed Bad Foot Pain! Sesamoiditis!

I have a bad back...I took up the bicycle.  Depending where you are, it can be real fun.  Hills not so much fun.  The local college, university, or even high school can be a fun ride... 

cabin111
on 8/24/14 3:09 pm
Topic: RE: Weekend workouts/training/etc 8/23, 24

Rode the bike and walked.  My wife and I grabbed  the 2 neighbor dogs and went for a walk.  They are getting old (who isn't).  We did 1 block by ourselves and 1 with the dogs.  I do my 5-15 miles on the bicycle each day...Some days more, some days less.  It keeps me below 200 pounds (197 today)...Penance for my eating choices...

cabin111
on 7/23/14 8:12 am
Topic: RE: A lazy exerciser...Midsection...

Was going through Youtube...Looking at different videos.  In my large city (about 100,000 people) there is not 1 beginning aerobics class.  I really miss those classes.  I saw this one and thought of it.  Doesn't really work the core, but many pre and post op OHers could do this one.  I may try it.  Brian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rnB9rDRrCM

Most Active