How many calories?

Joseph Itkor
on 7/27/12 10:48 am - hackettstown, NJ
 I apologize because I'm sure this has been discussed ad infinitum, but I am curious about something.  

I am three years post-op bypass.  I'm wondering how many calories a day do you eat in order to maintain the weight lost in the first few years.

I've been to the nutritionist, and I know what SHE says, but I'm curious as to what others are eating.

sanguinarythorn
on 7/29/12 9:32 pm - Newport News, VA
 I think it really depends on your bmi. Calories to maintain your body weight varies person to person, so probably whatever the nutritionist told you is pretty close to accurate. If you're trying to lose, on the other hand, post-ops require a pretty drastic cut in calories than what it takes to maintain, so it all just depends. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Mike R.
on 8/17/12 4:26 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Let me preface by saying that the answer to your question is "it depends upon the person".  That said I can relate my experience.  At 3 yrs post-op now & within 30 lbs to reach my goal, I need to have a net intake of 1000-1200 calories per day to lose weight and 1500-1800 calories per day to maintain.  If I exercise vigorously (700-900 calories burned), I have to be careful to intake enough calories to have a net of at least 1000 calories to keep my metabolism up.  For example, if I burn 900 calories in the gym, I need to eat about 1900 calories in order to lose weight.  Of course, this all assumes that my water intake is sufficient as well (64-128 oz per day).

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

Most Active