How to follow Ketogenic diet after Sleeve surgery

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/19 10:08 pm

Hi everyone. I had gastric sleeve surgery back in 2014 and lost quite a bit of weight. unfortunately last year I gained 13pounds and I have been struggling to lose it again. I want to start the keto diet but I am not sure if it is ok to, having had this surgery. I obviously cannot eat the recommended amounts of food in almost all the keto diet plans, and do not know if intermittent fasting is a good idea for me. Any advice? thanks

Gwen M.
on 2/9/19 5:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you talked with your surgeon's dietitian? That might be a good place to start.

Form there, if you aren't already, how about you start weighing, measuring, and tracking everything you eat with something like MyFitnessPal so you can see what you're consuming and what you need to change.

Keto and IF "work" because they restrict your eating. Remove a macronutrient is an "easy" way to restrict your eating. Ditto for changing the times you eat.

But.. Keto and IF are GREAT ways of eating to really **** up your relationship with food and, let's face it, your relationship with food probably isn't that amazing to begin with if you needed WLS to reach a healthy weight.

So, yeah, I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, since we'd all like an "easy" way to lose weight and some ultimate diet. Track what you eat, revisit your documentation for your post-op way of eating, figure out what you're doing that's off plan and work on getting back on track. Consider working with a dietitian and a therapist to get back to where you want to be.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/19 4:44 am

Thanks for the advice, I agree with you that good place to start will be my dietician!

Thanks again

kairosgrammy
on 3/4/19 7:25 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On February 9, 2019 at 6:08 AM Pacific Time, SallyNuns wrote:

Hi everyone. I had gastric sleeve surgery back in 2014 and lost quite a bit of weight. unfortunately last year I gained 13pounds and I have been struggling to lose it again. I want to start the keto diet but I am not sure if it is ok to, having had this surgery. I obviously cannot eat the recommended amounts of food in almost all the keto diet plans, and do not know if intermittent fasting is a good idea for me. Any advice? thanks

I would start with your dietician although, if I had to venture a guess, the dietician will not be enthusiastic about keto. I understand the attraction of keto but I'm inclined to agree with many, cutting out food groups isn't a good idea. Better to be picky about what you put in your body. Eat carbs but avoid simple carbs like the plague. Eat a little fruit but be careful, it has sugar, albeit natural sugar but sugar is sugar. You don't need bread and pasta but if you have to eat them, do 100% whole grain or substitute a sandwich with a wrap and select a low carb tortilla (I personally like Ole Extreme High Fiber tortillas). Concentrate on protein and good fats, whole foods and lots and lots of water. Avoid processed and convenience foods at all costs. Read the labels. Feed your pouch good stuff and it will serve you well.

Also, track, track, track. Even if you do decide to do keto, track. Tracking, #1 keeps you mindful of what you are eating. I personally hate to have to put in something not nutritious in my tracker, it glares at you and says, "Why did you eat that?" But, I put it in nonetheless. #2, if I see an unexpected gain on the scale, I can look back and see, "oops, so many carbs for too many days in a row, need to cut back on that" so seeing what you are eating and evaluating that helps you stay on target,

Plan, plan, plan and meal prep. If you plan what you will eat and stick to your plan, an occasional indulgence won't throw you off and you know what you are eating most of the time is healthy.

I'm sure you know most of this but sometimes, it does help to see it in black and white and from someone else.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/19 11:36 pm - Karachi, Pakistan

You can loose weight without keto if you try. It's not necessary to do a keto diet.

Anita Jo
on 3/7/19 4:59 pm - Elmira, NY

I've been doing keto for almost 3 years off and on and lost close to 50 pounds of my regain. almost to my 143 pounds where i was 6 years ago

jeaneallenn
on 4/6/19 10:01 am

I am going to start the Ketogenic diet soon. Any suggestions or advice to get started?

Anita Jo
on 4/6/19 5:40 pm - Elmira, NY

No photo description available.

6 pounds down in 4 days.
Here are tools for you to speed up weight loss.

*No sweetener
*No keto bakery
*4oz of dairy a day
*No snacking
*8/16 fasting every day.
*3 meals only with 4oz of protein per meal only
*3-4 cups of veggies a day.
*Add fat to every meal, butter, mayo, avocado, olives, olive oil.
Limit cheese. I rarely eat it.

Liz J.
on 4/9/19 11:08 am
DS on 11/29/16
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/19 2:50 am, edited 10/1/19 9:58 pm

Which supplements and vitamins do you think are good and working when dieting? I have been looking for some from https://www.edrugstore.com lately, but I would like to get some recommendations from you here, thank you in advance

Most Active