Vegetarian and Cannot Tolerate Whey Protein: HELP!

lcv915
on 4/6/19 6:47 am
VSG on 01/14/19

I am 11 weeks post-sleeve. Lifelong lacto-ovo vegetarian (who gags on cows milk and the taste/smell of eggs; as ingredients, though, I consume them). I've been on 40mg omeprazole (for reflux) since well before my VSG. Initially, I thought all my digestive issues were due to reflux (belching 24/7, bloating, nausea) and feared I'd need a revision to bypass. Now, I'm thinking that at least part of my issues are from all the whey protein I've been trying to consume, which leave me unable to reach my fluid and protein goals.

Yesterday, I went whey-free and found I don't bloat nearly as badly. HOWEVER - plant-based proteins have so many more carbs! I'm not sure how to reach the 80g protein leven my doctor suggests while keeping my carbs low enough to stay in ketosis.

How many grams of proteins, carbs and fats are you all eating daily? What helps you strike the right balance if whey protein isolates are not an option? I see my nutritionist in 2 weeks but, I'd love some input from anyone else who has gone through this!

PrivateCitizen
on 4/17/19 11:16 pm

There are hemp based protein powder- good for shakes. One high quality one is "Warrior Force", I have this one now and it is a near perfect protein. Dietitians (at least the one who talked with me at the VA) push the whey, but since I am not a WLS patient, ad I have only one kidney and renal issues I didn't want the higher carb whey.

I can add enough of the needed amino acid- leucine (found in almonds and other foods) to MAKE it complete amino acid balance for my daily nutrition. Anyway read up on it and consider if it will work for you.

I buy direct from the WarriorForce product site, but here is a link to one that shows various products.

You can also look at buying organic hulled hemp seed "hemp hearts" I just grind them fine and add to a shake, or usually just as they are, added to salads, other dishes. Toast lightly and makes a nice flavor. and it's the least expensive, unadulterated with anything else-flavorss, sweeteners/etc. (the FDA only allowed import of hemp seed as a raw food product in the last 4-5 years- most comes from Canada.)

I haven't looked at pea protein powder, it must have more carbs than hemp tho.. Best thing on hemp is 50% of daily potassium and magnesium in a 3 tbl serving! Once you progress to solid foods keep them in mind then too.

https://www.natureshappiness.com/warrior-force-warrior-food-natural-protein-powder-3-0/

Warrior Food? says "No Whey" to high acid-forming, kidney-damaging animal proteins. No metabolic toxins from animal tissue/parts. BETTER AMINO ACID PROFILE THAN WHEY! Contains BCAAs for performance and mass. No chemicals or isolated nutrients. Nothing artificial. NON-GMO. Gluten Free. TruGanic?.

Gwen M.
on 5/8/19 5:16 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Egg-based protein powders might work for you.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Trewondary
on 4/28/22 11:19 pm
On May 9, 2019 at 12:16 AM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

Egg-based protein powders might work for you.

Yes, I agree with you. I think it will work

summerset
on 6/4/19 6:56 am

There are tons of plant based protein powders out there. Soy, pea, rice, hemp, wheat, sunflower, mixes of several sources...

At proteinmixer you can decide how much % of what source will be in your mix.

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/19 2:50 am, edited 10/1/19 9:57 pm

Maybe you should have a look at https://www.edrugstore.com for some protein supplements. I often get some good things for me from there, and I think you might find it helpful to you too, good luck with it!

Most Active