Help from Bikers Please

Catw
on 5/28/14 9:33 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Everyone, I know that a lot of people here run, but I was hoping that there might be a few cyclists out there that could give me some advice.  Two weeks ago, my youngest was "I can't bike, I never will, I'm not going to try again" and this week I can't get him off his bike, which means now that I have to bike to keep up.  My bike is old, but was out of use for 10 years so it's still in pretty good condition.  Not sure what kind of 18 speed it is, but it's got wider tires as I thought I needed them at the time due to my size.  Now I've found a couple things that I'm not sure if it's that the bike isn't right for me any more, or I just have to get used to it again (I didn't bike much in the last 10 years obviously).  My butt gets sore after a few minutes and I seem to have to keep shifting my position on the seat (is it my bike or my boney butt?).  Also my hands get sore, like I have all my weight on them or something.  I know I'm not gripping the handle bars too tight and I'm not squeezing the brakes too tight either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to limiting my findings, or is this just something I have to get used to?

Cathy

1HealthyMomma
on 5/28/14 11:32 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I haven't biked in years but a comfy seat is important. You may be putting more weight on your arms causing you hands to hurt so your butt doesn't. I would try a new comfy seat. Sorry I couldn't offer more help.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

kimber291
on 5/28/14 11:40 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I'm not a biker but I agree with Lisa.  You probably need a better seat. I think they sell gel ones. That may be a little nicer for your tushy lol.

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Blueiiis
on 5/28/14 11:59 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I used to bike a lot... And the first few times always killed my butt, then you get used to it.  Not sure about why your hands hurt, you could try wearing bike gloves? 

Patm
on 5/28/14 12:22 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Your body shape has changed . You probably need the whole bike adjusted. The height of the seat and the handlebars.

You seat needs to be high enough that your legs extend. I find a wide seat helps. Here is a good post

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/5257093/Floppy-lady-bi ts-and-bicycle-riding/

highlandbear
on 5/28/14 12:32 pm - Canada

Buy yourself some bike shorts. It will help make the ride more comfortable. The more you ride your butt will become use to the seat. You can also buy some good riding gloves that will help with your hands. You need to relax your hands. If the bike has not been out on the road for a long time take it in and get a tune up. you might find that after the tune up it will ride much nicer. I can pretty well make a be with you that the chain need to be oiled and they will do that with the tune up. You need to make sure that the seat is at the right height for you and the handle bars. A lot of people ride with the seat at the wrong level. Riding is a lot of fun. Make sure you know and use your hand signals and wear a helmet. Have fun riding great exercise. Explore new paths you never know what you will see.

Nanato2
on 5/28/14 8:52 pm, edited 5/28/14 8:52 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Morning Catw 

I bike a lot did before surgery and still do. I have never had a issue with biking never fell rode the same bike for 20 years may not have been comfortable but I rode it. Well this year twice I was out riding and twice I feel off my bike and hurt myself not seriously but did hurt myself.

Well I took my bike to the local bike shop and what I found out was the bike was too big for me  and I say to the guy well I never fell off before and I lose 120 pounds and I fall off he say my centre of gravity is probably off plus I do spinning classes so I am stronger and faster. So because I love to cycle I bought myself a new bike what a difference and I am doing 50K this Sunday in the Becel Ride for Heart.

Now for my butt yes it gets sore but I have cycling shorts with padding in them you can also buy a jell cover to go over the seat. For my hands I have padded gloves with finger cut out but you may be gripping too tight you have to try and relax the shoulders and arms. I would take your bike into a bike shop and get it tune up if you have not rode it in 10 years they will also set it up for you as well to adjust seat and handlebars.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

kellybelly333
on 5/29/14 12:01 am - Toronto, Canada

I'm cycling lots for my training. I wear triathlon shorts, but other bike shorts will help. Also, I found (especially for spinning classes), the more I did it, the more I got used to it. I don't feel a thing anymore.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

onmom
on 6/1/14 12:09 am

I use a fat boy seat with lots of padding. The fact your arms are sore may mean you need to lower your seat r rais your hand bars. If possible take it in to a bike shop and see what they have to say. It would be a investment.

Most Active
Recent Topics