I Caved...and Ordered a Fetal Doppler

PaulaRP
on 5/18/09 7:10 am - North of Boston, MA
Hi Ladies--

So, here I am at 15 weeks pregnant and I'm still not truly believing I'm pregnant. (Yes, I'm fully aware this sounds insane!) The only times I have fully believed it has been during ultrasounds. So, I have ordered a fetal doppler from storkradio.com. It already shipped and should be here for the 21st. (In time for my birthday on the 23rd!) My next OB appt. is next Thursday, the 28th.

Hearing the heartbeat will help me believe. Right now I'm running on faith and hope...but a little evidence would be nice, y'know?

For those who have rented dopplers...did you find that they help reassure you and pur anxieties to rest?

--Paula
 Pregnancy Ticker
Jennifer Q.
on 5/18/09 7:18 am - Newton, NJ

I bought a surgical grade one from ebay in 2003 when I was pregnant with my 3rd and was bleeding alot.  It has been passed around to several friends and I had it for my last pregnancy in 08.  It is reassuring to hear that heartbeat and I think if you can afford it...well worth it! Especially after a loss or (several losses) as in my case, it was so reassuring and the peace of mind was priceless. Enjoy and happy heart-beat hunting!! (sometimes, you do have to hunt)  -Jen

SW 241.6/ CW 138.8/ GW 140
    At Goal 12/11/2009          
floflo1981
on 5/18/09 7:19 am - Huntsville, AL
It is hard for me to believe you are at 15 weeks already!! It seems like you just found out! Let me know how the doppler works out...I might just have to rent one...

~Flora

Lilypie - (zx1x)

Pre-op 284/Current 180/Goal 145  5'5
Surgery Date:April 23, 2007

biggeekgirl
on 5/18/09 7:23 am
Hi Paula,

YES!  I ordered one too.... and until I could feel him move on a regular basis (20-22 weeks) I used it several times a week to reassure myself. 

At first it was hard to find his heartbeat but it got easier with practice and as he grew big.  I rarely use it now as he wiggles so much  I know he's there, but it was well worth the $100 I spent! 

Cindy

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Ksandra
on 5/18/09 8:36 am - Sumner, WA
I rented one last time and again this time.  I am thankful for it!  It totally helped me reassure that I've got two little somethings in here...however with twins it's hard to tell if it's the same baby in a few spots or if I'm getting them both.  Their bpm's are usually almost identical.  Except at the ob's when B was dancing around and A was just quietly waving.  One was 180 the other was 150. 
When you use it, you'll hear your own heart beat A LOT.  You gotta use enough gel, (I even bought a big thing of aloe gel - works the same and is moisturizing!) go slowly, and listen for a rapid heartrate of 130-180.  If you hear a sound like a wind tunnel, it's probably the baby's placenta and you're close.  :) 

We say good morning to the wonder twins EVERY morning - very quickly.  My boys love it and I find my 1.5 year old sneaking off to hear the baby in HIS belly when I'm not looking!   LOL!!

Sandy
Mom to Holden (5 yrs), Kellen (2 yrs) and Clara and Chloe born 11/6/09

Julie122780
on 5/18/09 12:01 pm
Following my miscarriages I would have gone insane without mine. I think you will be pleased, its really neat to be able to hear the heartbeat whenever you want. I had several dreams where I dreampt that I was losing the baby and then both times I jumped up and grabbed the doppler and heard her heart beating away. Nothing in the world could have replaced that feeling of reassurance!

Ticker id: 3XC7                    Ticker id: Sisj

Mom of 2 angels: Kaitlyn Marie 8-22-07 & Jenna Michaela 4-10-08
Molar Pregnancy in 3/2010

ECUMindy
on 5/18/09 12:13 pm - Winterville, NC
COOL!

I've debated getting one many times. Do you mind asking how much it was? Hoping it works well for you. I have heard if you don't find it right away don't freak out. It may take some practice.

Congrats on 15 weeks!

Melinda
373/334/184/188/175/ - Highest/Surgery/Lowest-PrePregnancy/Current/First Goal

It's a BOY!

Mandy_
on 5/18/09 12:45 pm - cincinnati, OH
I rented one with my son.  for a few months.  it was very reassuring...and then he started to hate it and kicked it and "hid" from it...so I sent it back.

I didn't get one with my daughter and I'm not getting one this time.  but they are fun to have.

Mandy, Mom to Jordan (5), Kaida (3) and Luken (born 12/5/09) Army wife!   HW:351 / SW: 328 / CW:149/ Goal weight...what is that?

Lilypie - (Q3jk)

li2006
on 5/18/09 12:48 pm - Apple Valley, MN
I rented one with my first (only, so far) pregnancy 10 years ago. From Baby Beat, I haven't looked to see if they are still around. I was a nervous nelly, and it did help that I could check for the heartbeat whenever I wanted. However, honestly, I don't remember using it All that much,. And then I kept putting off returning it, and ended up paying for it which ended up about $400. I still have it tho, for next time :)                 And thanks to who said they used Aloe- I didnt know you could do that, good, because I didnt know where I was gonna find the gel hehe

Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 861 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views