Supply issues... HELP!

Donna M.
on 5/18/09 9:39 am, edited 5/18/09 9:40 am - Long Beach, CA
I'm back to work, and am now pumping 3x/day while there.  (7:30, 11:55 and 2:00, then I go get the kids.)  I'm barely getting 3 ounces total though.  I am taking more milk plus, oatmeal, trying to relax, and even tried a beer, (but I really don't like it).  What is the drug that some of you have taken?  Is it Reglan or something like that?  My doctor knows nothing about it, and the lactation clinic hasn't called me back yet.  Does Reglan (or whatever the drug is) help with supply issues at 5 months or is it only for establishing a supply?  Any other advice would be appreciated!
-Donna
Jennifer38
on 5/18/09 10:56 am
Donna with the heat you are having in CA are you sure you are drinking enough fluid? I PROMISE you if you drink 120 oz of water/tea a day you will produce more milk.

I have never taken anything but when I feel like my supply is lower I increase the amount of fluid and they fill right up. Also since there is 4.5 hours between the first 2 pumpings I would make sure that is the longest span you go the rest of the day.

Are you using a good double pump? A good pump makes all the difference. Good luck! I really admire you ladies that work and still manage to provide breast milk!
Donna M.
on 5/18/09 11:54 am - Long Beach, CA
I will definitely try upping my water.  That's something I hadn't done, and forgot about.  Thanks!  My LC said I also need to get up in the night and pump at least once.  I am dreading that...I am going to pump once after he is "done" with me and if I wake up, I'll pump.  I'm using the medela pump in style double at work.  I have a hospital grade ameda at home and I'll be using that for night pumps I guess.  Thanks for the help!
-Donna
laurexler
on 5/18/09 10:58 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, it is Reglan.  I used it and I don't think it is only for the beginning.  Did you hear back yet?  Also, they have it in liquid, that is what I took.

Laurie
Mom to: Nicholas 11/1/95, Justin 6/7/97, Gabrielle (Gabi) 9/21/07

pirate_mommy
on 5/18/09 12:11 pm
Hey Donna ...
Have you checked with any local La Leche League ladies? Here is the page for your area, and you might find some answers there ... 
xoxo

http://www.lllusa.org/web/LongBeachCA.html
Mandy_
on 5/18/09 12:37 pm - cincinnati, OH
I was pumping up to 6 or more times a day just to get enough for the next day with my son.

did all that stuff you listed including reglan and fenugreek.

we made it 8 months.

good luck

Mandy, Mom to Jordan (5), Kaida (3) and Luken (born 12/5/09) Army wife!   HW:351 / SW: 328 / CW:149/ Goal weight...what is that?

Lilypie - (Q3jk)

Shari M.
on 5/18/09 1:14 pm - Wildomar, CA
Donna~ I had a really hard time with emma because she never really latched and would rarely bf. I pumped as long as I could. I took the reglan. It is actually used for something else and that is a side effect of producing milk, so most regular docs haven't heard of it. I think there is something newer that has less side effects. They make you (at kaiser anyway) take an oral depression test every time you refill because that is one of the side effects. When I got to the top dose of that I added mothers milk and that kick started things for 3 more weeks....but eventually pumping 6-8 times in 24 hours for less than 6 oz, I made the decision to quit... I only made it 4 months or so. I was bummed. But, I also hear with pcos it is alot harder to pump and get milk. Anyway, if you don't want to risk the side effects of reglan I would try the mothers milk. Here is the link to the site... I think they have a whole foods in long beach that has it...but you can put your zip in. Good luck to you!! Oh, and my lc said to pump every time emma woke up to eat at night, which was usually 2-3 times. Said it was super important. Anyway, here is the link. http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_plus_veg.php
Photobucket Photobucket  Micah 18 months, Emma 3

Donna M.
on 5/18/09 1:35 pm - Long Beach, CA
Thanks Shari, I've been using that too (more milk plus) and it helps a little.  My LC cautioned against the reglan because of the depression side effects too.  I definitely don't want to go there, I had a hard enough time coming out of that on my own without adding to it.  I'm going to do what I can and try to add a pump or two to the night...in addition to adding more water.  Hopefully that will help.  I appreciate your info though, the more milk stuff is way better than that tea stuff!
-Donna
rchllaw
on 5/19/09 5:30 am - Loves Park, IL
RNY on 07/06/07 with
Donna,
Are you taking the tincture or the capsules???  The tincture tastes really nasty but it works WAY better!!!  Also if you have PCOS Motherlove, who makes more milk plus, makes a special blend.  That is what I got started on and it made a HUGE difference over the more milk plus.  Just a thought.  I know you can order the tincture from amazon too.  Motherlove.com has a place on the site where you can enter in your zip and find stores that carry it. Just call and make sure they have the tincture.  I'm telling you it's the way to go especially with PCOS AND having had wls
Rachel

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Donna M.
on 5/19/09 7:46 am - Long Beach, CA
I'm taking the tincture...eeew.  You're right about the nasty.  I thought that the more milk PLUS was the pcos one, and the just plain more milk was for those without it.  I will check it out tonight though, thanks for the info!  (I also bought the capsules too this last time, just to see if they are any different... the tincture makes my stomach really hurt, but I think the pills are just "convenient" and I'd have to take a lot more of them... so I'll take them when I'm out of the tincture or out and about without the bottle.)  I'm really working on upping my water today...I didn't realize how little I was getting!   Thanks for your info everyone!
-donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views