I'm really worried about my future weight loss!

Ashlie
on 5/21/09 3:58 am - Big Lake, MN
I just really need some words of wisdom. I keep finding myself sad, mad, or depressed about my weight loss & being pregnant. I have been so successful so far and now being pregnant I am worried that I won't lose another pound after the baby is born. I am terrified that I will be obese the rest of my life! I can live w/ overweight but obese is something I don't want to be anymore and that is why I got this surgery and boom preggo! What do you gals think? Can I really make it to "over weight" after I give birth. Can I jump start my weight loss again 7 months from now?? Is it possible that I could reach my goal one day?? I am just so scared of being fat for the rest of my life!!!!

-Ashlie
Lilypie - (bzQG)

Highest / DOS / Current / Goal / I've lost / Height / Size B4 wls / After wls

435      405      213      184       222        6ft          30/32         14/16

Jesse H.
on 5/21/09 4:12 am - Shermans Dale, PA
I worry about the same thing.  Now, I had my surgery in 10/07 (not just recently) and I made it down to 129 but now I am back to 140... Talk about depressing....  I, too, don't want to gain much weight through the pregnancy and I'm freaking out about afterwards.  Will I be able to lose that weight???  I'm ok gaining 25-35 pounds through the pregnancy.  I want my child to be healthy, That's the first priority.  I will be interested in the responses you get.  Thanks for posting this question!!!

Jess
Zee Starrlite
on 5/21/09 4:27 am
Since you are so early out, more than likely you will continue to lose weight.  I am sure that you are not able to eat anywhere near what you used to eat pre-op.  You are however able to eat enough for the baby and still lose.  Make sure that everything you put in your body is of good quality - lots of lean protein, fruits, veggies etc.  Even without surgery, we need not gain 100lbs during a pregnancy like some women have done and are still doing.  You can still be very active - yeah, exercise, walk as much as you can!

God Bless.  Stop worrying and just take care of and be kind to yourself

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

ECUMindy
on 5/21/09 4:45 am - Winterville, NC
I had surgery in October 2007 and I'm 26 weeks pregnant. So far, according tot he doc, I've gained ONLY 4.5 pounds. They are actually doing more u/s b/c of my lack of weight gain. YAY for more u/s... Anyway, they said it was probably fine and i wouldn't gain more than 15-20 pounds total.

I DO know I LOST weight (about 12-15 pounds) AFTER finding out i was pregnant so their numbers are a bit skewed, but you hopefully understand what I'm saying.

AND lots of people have told me you lose weight fast (most of the time) after having the baby especially if you BF. I think you just be happy about being pregnant and pray the Lord has worked this out for you so you will be fine.

Btw, I was 373 at my heaviest and lost appx 200 pounds prior to pregnancy. I was overweight all of my life (still not skinny but so much better) so I DO know how you feel.

Good luck!

Melinda
373/334/184/188/175/ - Highest/Surgery/Lowest-PrePregnancy/Current/First Goal

It's a BOY!

SophiesMommy
on 5/21/09 8:39 am - Logan, UT
Oh and yes, I totally agree--if you BF you will have an extra weight loss bonus tool.
Shauna S.
on 5/21/09 4:55 am - Amsterdam, NY

Worrying - while easier said than done - is not going to make anything better. A baby is a miracle in itself, whether it's your first or 15th - be thankful that you've been given the opportunity to have a child, as many women who come to this board have not yet been blessed.

As the previous poster said - since you are so early out, it's very likely you will continue to lose weight during your pregnancy. I lost 11lbs. the first month - gained back about 9 all together and this past month have lost another 6. So I'm technically down 8lbs since I found out I was pregnant and I'm now almost 30 weeks. However, I have a healthy little boy growing inside of me. So I'm completely okay with it. (FYI - I was 5 months post op when I found out I was pregnant.)

The key is knowing how to use your tool again after your baby is born. Since you are pregnant you're going to have to add a few extra calories and add some healthy carbs back into your diet - but all in all - you're really eating the same - nice fresh healthy foods. And continue to exercise - not only will it help you stay active but they say it helps your delivery.

I'm sure you will be just fine - you just have to keep a positive outlook on things. Don't look at it like "am I'm going to be able to lose this after my baby is born" - look at it is "I am going to lose this after my baby is born."

Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!

armywife12
on 5/21/09 7:18 am - IN
I lost 53 lbs when I was pregnant, regained 22 and lost 27 within two weeks of Niko's birth. If I do not seriously add complex carbs to my diet, I continue to lose about 3/4 of  a lb per day.Niko will be 8 months next week and I will be two years out in November.

Trust me---I stressed over the same thing. You'll be fine. Just use whtever tool you've got.

Hugs,
Angie

SophiesMommy
on 5/21/09 8:37 am - Logan, UT
There is no doubt in my mind that you can and most likely will lose every pound that you want to lose.  Having the baby will not kill that dream.  I PROMISE.  I'm just now getting on the bandwagon again, and mine is 6 mos old.  Others were able to get back to it a lot sooner, it just depends on you, how you adjust to your new addition, etc.  But eventually you will do it, whether it's sooner or later.  Hugs.  Don't worry about that.  Enjoy your miracle.  I do understand your fear though. 
Chelle
on 5/21/09 10:35 am - Some Hick Town In......, OH
Hi Ashlie!

I am not sure about your case in particular but can tell you from a further out post op's view how pregnancy affected me.... I was over 4 years out when I got pregnant with my son and was hovering around the 300lb mark... I immediately started losing weight when I found out I was pregnant because my appetite increased immediately & I was using up ALL I was taking into my body... I dropped down to 270 in the first 6 months of my pregnancy and then shot up to 290 by the time he was born this last December... Then I gave birth and lost down to 250ish by the time he was just a few weeks old... I'm still around that area now but you know what? I'm happy with so much in my life now that the thought that I am still "obese" in the medical worlds eyes doesn't matter to me... I'm so healthy now and can do things I only dreamed about before (and yes I know there is room for improvement still & I'm working on that)... I understand where you are coming from totally though... I don't think losing weight or getting to your goal after your baby is born is impossible... I know it's very possible in fact...

I know my "tool" still works so I'm not too hung up on it to the point where I obsess about it all the time... It's all in how you do things... You know the rules - vitamins, protein and lots of water... Just follow that more closely once you have the baby... For now, you will HAVE to up your caloric intake each day to make sure your baby is getting the nutrients he/she needs... Just try not to worry yourself too much over this... You are blessed in being able to have a baby so enjoy it... There is PLENTY of time to lose weight still after your baby is here & is healthy...

Chelle RNY - 12/17/2004
150# kept off over 5 years now - Thank you Dr Kim!!!

Julie122780
on 5/21/09 11:07 am
You can and will lose the weight after you have the baby. I plan to do anything and everything to get my weight going down again after my baby is born. I went to the OB yesterday and thought I was going to have a mental breakdown when I saw that I have gained a whopping 18 lbs so far this pregnancy. My heart sank when I calculated the number. I can and will lose the weight and more after the pregnancy though, and so will you. You will always have the tool to continue your weight loss, just keep that in mind.

Julie

Ticker id: 3XC7                    Ticker id: Sisj

Mom of 2 angels: Kaitlyn Marie 8-22-07 & Jenna Michaela 4-10-08
Molar Pregnancy in 3/2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1257 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1333 views