Vitamins during pregnancy...

CoastiesGirl
on 3/22/11 8:02 am - Point Reyes Station, CA
What vitamins do you recommened? My OB isnt very familiar with post RNY patients. I currently take Centrum twice a day, subligal b12 daily, 3000iu of D3 and 600mg of Calcium citrate.

MusicMaryn
on 3/22/11 8:05 am - San Jose, CA
just add a good prenatal and some folic acid and you should be fine.  If you're pg already, ask your bari surgeon to run full blood panels on you again to ensure that your vites levels are good during your pregnancy.
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

CoastiesGirl
on 3/22/11 8:29 am - Point Reyes Station, CA
I no longer am being followed by my surgeon. But I will ask my OB or PCM to run a full battery of tests.

MusicMaryn
on 3/22/11 8:32 am - San Jose, CA
WHAT?!?!?!?!  You are less than 1 year out from your RNY.  You should continue to be supported by your bari surgeon for an absolute minimum 1 year.  Most bari surgeons - especially with RNY and the malnutrition issues that come with RNY - require at least 3 check ups including full blood panels during the first year and then annual check ups there after.

Did something go wrong or wonky with that surgeon?  You really should continue to be under bariatric care.  PLEASE response either here or PM me.  This is important.

CoastiesGirl
on 3/22/11 8:36 am - Point Reyes Station, CA
We are a military family and moved away from my surgeon...:(

MusicMaryn
on 3/22/11 8:40 am - San Jose, CA
UG.  OK... if you do not have your blood panel results from your previous blood tests with your bari surgeon, you can ask them to send them to you.  I would then definitely have your PCP or OB to take a full panel checking all your vitamin levels.  Then I would provide copies of your previous blood lab results to this dr (either PCP or OB) so that they can monitor your progress.  I totally get moving around and having to change drs.  And now that you're pg, your vitamin levels are so much more important that if it were just you.  Whenever you get any tests taken, you should have a copy of the results sent to you so you can keep a complete file on your medical history - esp since you're a military family and move from time to time.

chelle614
on 3/22/11 8:41 am - Chester, NY
Bariatric surgery is getting to be a big money maker. Look for a local one. They would be the prime followers of your labs & nutritional info. You are right, most OB's know nothing about RNY. Mine thinks gastric bypass and lapband are the same thing and also told me i just need one multivite. Bless her dear, ignorant heart :)
Seriously, find another surgeon for follow up care.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

candessg
on 3/22/11 12:25 pm - plymouth, MN
 I am a military wife and I still am being followed by a bariatric surgeon. Now I had DS and can't see a DS surgeon because none in the area will follow my care but a bariatric surgeon is willing to. There is absolutely no reason for you to not be seen by a bariatric surgeon. The military cannot deny that care. You can get a referral from your PCM and they will be more than willing to do that because of liability reasons. You should also be a part of the Exceptional Family Member Program.
CoastiesGirl
on 3/22/11 2:11 pm - Point Reyes Station, CA
I dont even know what the Exceptional Family Member Program is.... My suregon is not going to follow me from states away. I only got to even see my surgeon twice during my entire process. I saw his ARNP. Who is dense! I have a list of labs I know I need. I had my 3 month post op labs done and I have a copy of them. 

candessg
on 3/22/11 12:27 pm - plymouth, MN
 And one more thing. I call my surgeon all the time and he follows my care from many states away. He tells me what blood work I need done, I give it to the OB and they do it and fax it to him. I am surprised that you don't have a surgeon wiling to do this.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 857 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views