How are the prego gym rats doing?

MommaKing
on 3/26/11 10:23 am
I was a major gym rat prior to getting pregnant. I felt too miserable to maintain exercise at first due to morning sickness and fatigue. I lost 10lbs even without any exercising. At 10 weeks, the morning sickness subsided and my appetite returned with a vengence. I've gained 20lbs (10lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight) in just 6 short weeks.  Now that I feel better, I've resumed exercising at the gym, I'm wondering how others are doing at the gym. My OB knows how much I love the gym (he's seen me in action and diagnosed my IR and PCOS, thus helping me become motivated to lose weight) and said it's okay for me to continue exercising. I used to run 5-6 miles per day on the elliptical trainer and lift weights every other day. Now, I'm being cautious as I don't want to overdo it. I do 1.5 miles on the elliptical, and 1.5 on the treadmill at a brisk pace and cut out the weight lifting. I may add back some toning for my arms and legs, but will leave my back and abs alone.

Please share your workout regimen. I'd like to know what others are doing.

Thanks
DoinItRNY
on 3/26/11 10:55 am
I don't go to the gym now, but I have two videos I've been doing and I love them... "Element Prenatal Yoga" and "10 Minute Solution Prenatal Pilates".  I walk and kick around the soccer ball when it's not too cold out.  I'm just now getting back into rhythm after a horrible first trimester, losing 25 lbs(gained back 4 lbs back so far).
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
MommaKing
on 3/26/11 12:30 pm
Thanks for responding. You're a few weeks ahead of me so I'd like to ask if it's uncomfortable to exercise with your baby bump. I just started showing about 2 weeks ago, and while I'm on the elliptical, I can feel by belly colliding with my thighs LOL. It's not bad right now, but I can just imagine how complicated it can be during 3rd trimester.
DoinItRNY
on 3/27/11 2:02 am
LOL, I know what you mean... though my belly is quickly tightening, especially the last few days, and it's pulling up a little. ;) 

When I run around outside, I wear a very light shapewear panty/girdle to help support my tummy.  Other than that, I haven't experienced any discomfort...perhaps that is because my stomach is still smaller at 5 months preggers than it was at my highest weight.  However, I look at the lady on my video (she's 7 or 8 months) and feel like she HAS to be uncomfortable.  But the exercises are really catered to a pregnant woman....there's always room for your belly, you lay on your side for some exercises, and there are only a couple moves where they have you lie on your back, but it's under 2 minutes and you're moving constantly.  

Maybe there is someone at your gym you could consult with to alter your routine a little and make it more comfortable?  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
Ralph Z.
on 3/26/11 2:17 pm, edited 3/26/11 2:18 pm
I am a full on gym rat and as a SAHM, I have been able to go to the gym for approx 2 hrs a day (pre pregnancy) - since being pregnant, my energy levels come and go- last week I got in 2 full 2hrs - I do spin, turbokick, weight set classes, yoga, zuma etc. - a real medley

It all depends on the day as I say, but currently go twice a week approx. My ob says you can continue a regime, but don't try to go harder/ stronger than before. This week has been a full on energy week for me, so I go and do what I can. Just know that some days you will want to not go - and that is ok, just embrace your body, that it is trying to tell you to rest for the day to grow your baby,

my weight gain for the pregnancy has been 11lbs total gain so far, but I started out overweight - so my OB says an acceptable range fo rme to gain is 15-25lbs.

Remember, you are only 10lbs above your pre preg weight - and we are growing our babies. Try not to focus on the gain, I know it is hard for us as we have been through surgery due to our weight issues,but the baby will be out before we know it and we can concentrate on weight loss then. - For now, embrace your wonderful body and the miracle of pregnancy - enjoy this short time.

My recommendation is - in the gym, do what you can and want to- don't force yourself to do anything or "make yourself go". Any discomfort/ dizziness - just stop, take your level down a notch.

Becky x

tryingtobethin55 me
on 3/26/11 2:24 pm
I was such a gym rat prior to my pregnancy ( I am almost 30 weeks now )...used to go every single day for atleast 1 to 2 hours...well lets see...since becoming pregnant and suffering from nausea, extreme fatigue and emotional distress I have stopped going...at first I would go a few times a week and its gotten to the point now that Im not going at all...with that said I do definetly try to get in some exercise now that the weather is getting nicer...I like to take walks, and I still try to eat healthy altho I do succumb to some cravings and I definetly feel that I can eat way more than I could pre prego.  Its tough to see the scale keep increasing, but I try to remind myself that its all for the baby and I will get back to pre prego weight soon enough after he is here...but in the meantime its all about doing what your body needs..if it tells you to sleep...then you sleep...if it tells you to eat...they you eat.. wishing you a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy and good luck with the exercise : )
MommaKing
on 3/27/11 3:27 am
Thanks for the advice ladies. I'm learning to listen to my baby as he will not let me sleep in anymore. I love sleeping in on the weekend, and this morning I was ravenously hungry and had to get up to eat. LOL

For a long time, it felt as though I would never have the opportunity to experience pregnancy. Thank you for reminding me that I'm only pregnant for a short while, and that I should enjoy this blessing. I just started feeling flutters this week and it's so exciting. In a few months, I'll have a new baby boy and the rest of my life to go back to my weight loss journey.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1275 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views