Gestational Diabetes & Sleeve

OhButSheHasSUCHa
PrettyFace

on 3/25/11 9:22 am - Spokane, WA
 I posted this on my sleeve board and got a great many "congrats" but no real helpful information.  I took my 1 hour glucose test and the result was 279.  Not surprising to me really because...I was diabetic and that's what usually happened with that much sugar.  I've been monitoring my blood sugar for a few weeks now and I know what brings me up and so forth.  I haven't been able to find a great deal of information that is helpful to me.  I don't know what range I should be aiming for with Gestational Diabetes.  My fasting is generally in the 80's, one hour after meals is somewhere between 120-150 and 2 hours is usually between 95-110.  I spoke with a nutritionist who didn't quite understand where I was coming from.  I told her that 80+% of my tummy was gone, I was on (per my dr's orders) a 900 calorie a day diet (which to me is a lot of food!).  She said that if I didn't immediately start a 2000 a day calorie died that I'd be killing my baby.  I'm 29 wks now.  I called my Dr and maybe he didn't quite remember me..but he said 1800, but he doesn't want me gaining any more than 10lbs (I'm at 6 now).  The nutritionist is telling me to eat more carbs in one meal than I generally do in a day, so I've tried to increase my whole wheats and such.  Two pieces of toast plus peanut butter and smart balance...I make that at 5am and by 8:30am (my lunch) I'm not quite finished with my toast...so then I have a sausage dog (don't judge, they're easy and protein) and a small helping of a green veggie.  I'm supposed to be snacking (who ever thought I'd be told to snack again) so I much randomly through out the day on trail mix.  Question, I'm supposed to test my blood sugar one hour after my meal, but I feel like I never stop eating.  I made it to 1200 calories today and there hasn't been 10 minutes when I wasn't stuffing my face.  I'm exhausted.  I'm stuffed, I'm uncomfy, I'm miserable.  Is anyone else going through GD with the GS?  HOW are you eating?  What's your diet?  Any opinions (un-sausage dog related) are so incredibly welcome. 

Nature does her best to teach us. The more we overeat, the harder she makes it for us to get close to the table.                      

Nikki M.
on 3/25/11 10:00 am
I don't have any advice but wanted to let you know that I eat hot dogs on a very regular basis. Go protein dogs! hehe
I hope you get the info you need!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Shari M.
on 3/25/11 5:02 pm - Wildomar, CA
Well, I have gbp, not the sleeve, but I have had gd with both of my pg. The nut is a dork...lol Yes, you need more calories, but the important thing is that you need carbs. Ketosis is bad for baby. As a gd you need whole wheats, but you already knew that. And you should always have protein with your carbs. So, your toast and pb is good, but maybe one piece of toast and a little more pb. A good way to get in more calories if you can tolerate it is some non fat or 1%milk. Good in protein and easy to do with your carb. I don't think you have the malabsorbtion issues with a sleeve, but one thing you didn't mention is your labs. Be faithful and diligent in all your lab levels. Regardless of wls iron is frequently low during pg. Also dips can come in b-12 and D. The important thing to remember here is that baby will take what it needs, but you don't want to end up sick with deficiencies. As for testing.
On awakening not above 95
1 hour after a meal not above 140
2 hours after a meal not above 120
This is a general guideline. And yes...you will be snacking all day long!! So, this is what I did. I took the fasting every day. And then each day I rotated and took a 1 hour after breakfast one day, lunch the next, dinner the next. I kept a log and looked for patterns to determine whether I would need insulin and then when to increase the doses. If you know you have problems in the evening test that time more frequently. You know your body better than anyone. It seems you are familiar with the diabetic diet. Two good things to remember. Eat a bedtime snack. Even a couple crackers and some cheese or milk. Fasting should be after about 8-9 hours. And also if you notice a time your levels are higher, say after dinner...a brisk 15 minute walk will drop the levels 10-15 points. And if you have to take insulin don't freak! It is best for baby and for you. You really, really don't want to have the baby have sugar issues when it is born. And I know moms that blamed themselves for their gd...but it isn't your fault. GD is gd and not diabetes 2 for a reason. You have a baby in there and a ton of extra hormones going on...and one week things might be totally in control and the next, eating exactly the same thing they could totally whack out your numbers. So, don't take it personally...but be aware and careful. Good luck. Stick around, this board is awesome. I don't come around much anymore...just to post the ttc post...but you can pm me if you have more questions. Not that I am an expert by any means, but have btdt! Shari

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/gestational/
Photobucket Photobucket  Micah 18 months, Emma 3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views