I guess it's time i stop lurking

faithesmommy
on 4/29/11 9:55 pm

I am 8 months out from Duodenal Switch surgery and also just over 8 weeks pregnant. OOPS!

Can't go back now so we are just being super careful and hoping for the absolute best. Saw perinatologist last week and he said he sees no problem as long as i can get in enough, which i see no issues with either.

I have lost 14 lbs in the month since i got my + test and i'm super worried my midwife with see this and immediately assume i'm not eating or something.

I've added carbs into my diet, peri said i cannot be in ketosis, they have me checking my urine daily and if i see ketones i have to add more carbs. Luckily there are several carbs i can eat that don't bother my system, as long as i stay away from white flour and sugar i am okay. I eat whole grain bread, potatoes and some veggies with no issues. I can even eat small amounts of brown rice and such too.

Anyone else here pregnant after DS?

~ Sarah ~

wife to John 8/17/02 & mom to Faith 7/16/06 & SURPRISE DS Baby Girl due 12/8/11

HW/CW/GW 379/243/199  

stacey0523
on 4/29/11 11:42 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
I had lap band but I found out I was pregnant 10 months out from surgery.  I am about 6 weeks along.  Congrats and I wish you a healthy and happy 9 months!
Total weight loss from highest known weight:   
Weight loss since surgery on June 8, 2010     
candessg
on 4/30/11 1:07 am - plymouth, MN
 I am over 2 years out from having the DS and have had a very difficult pregnancy. 8 months would be incredibly scary. 
Talk to your perinatologist or surgeon immediately about being putting on pancreatic enzymes.. That is number 1! This will help you to absorb more. 
Make sure your labs are checked weekly. You will need to up then, I promise you that. Make sure they check your ADEK, pre-albumin, and albumin, and Iron. You will also need to your blood sugar checked immediately for diabetes and a repeat at 28 weeks. 
My labs tanked in the beginning and I am now 35 and 1/2 weeks with inter uterine growth restriction and have almost lost my baby. She is tiny and I am lucky that she is still fighting and has made it this long. 
I have to eat around 3,000 calories per day, 150 grams of protein, and 150 of fat just to maintain weight.. (along with the enzymes) here's the other problem, you may need to eat white sugar and white flour. As DSr's we malabsorb the healthy stuff first. Bad carbs may help you maintain or slow down the weight loss.
If you have lost 14 pounds this month I would be surprised if your body isn't in ketosis. They should be checking your urine regularly.. You also may need to add TPN treatments and infusions if you can't keep up the nutrition on your own. 
I know this is suppose to be an exciting time, but I am telling you that you MUST be on top of your food and vitamins for you and your baby's welfare. I hope you are in contact with your surgeon. They will help you the most.
You should also be eating about every hour. Drink whole milk and drinks that have calories to up your carb and calorie intake and hopefully protein. Drink protein shakes as well, but not low carb. Eat full fat ice cream as well. 
I have always been really cautious about nutrition and try to eat healthy. BUT my surgeon and his nutritionist told me to worry about fruits, veggles, and whole grains last. (you will get all that from your vitamins) Most important is fat and protein and the carby food to keep you from ketosis. Your tummy is tiny at 8 months. You have to try to stretch it for your baby's sake. 
I hope things go well for you and your baby. Please don't take this lightly or you will regret it. Start doing these things immediately!

blessings :)

jcheryld
on 4/30/11 5:09 am
Congrats and welcome to the boards!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Lexa321
on 4/30/11 6:50 am - weston, FL
congrats!... this is my third pregnancy after wls...peri is correct about ketosis... thats very important... i think you will be just fine.. take your vits.. have your labs checked.. eat carbs.. and enjoy..
jcheryld
on 4/30/11 9:35 am
My OB wants me to switch from RNY multivitamin to just a pre-natal next month, but continue with the rest of my RNY supplements (calcium, iron, B12, D3). What was your vitamin regimen?
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Lexa321
on 5/1/11 8:52 am - weston, FL
thats what i did
faithesmommy
on 4/30/11 9:09 pm

I spoke to my surgeon's office (nurse) the day i got my + pregnancy test. They gave me all the information i needed. I saw my midwife right away and had bloodwork. So far so good on levels. I saw perinatologist last week and he's totally fine with my levels and gave me direction to do daily urine testing for ketones and he said as long as i stay away from ketosis baby should be fine. I feel VERY comfortable with my "team" of doctors.

Yes I realize this pregnancy is very high risk and i will do/am doing everything i can make sure i and baby both are healthy.

Thank you for all your suggestions everyone I will most definately not take this pregnancy lightly.

~ Sarah ~

wife to John 8/17/02 & mom to Faith 7/16/06 & SURPRISE DS Baby Girl due 12/8/11

HW/CW/GW 379/243/199  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1238 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 861 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1322 views