Vent!

Lianne C.
on 5/27/11 3:54 pm - Garden City, MI
So, I went out tonight with a few friends, and left the baby with the Hubby! All was well until he tried to feed the baby some of the milk I had saved(a whole weeks worth).

A couple days ago my 3 year old opened the freezer up, and I guess changed a setting. All my milk went bad! Now I have to start stocking up for when I start working next week! Grrrr
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Catnip
on 5/27/11 11:16 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 How much time off do you usually get in the states? Are you going back early?

I can't believe you are going back to work when the baby is only 4 months old.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Lianne C.
on 5/28/11 12:54 am - Garden City, MI
Our maternity leave is a lot shorter here. I actually waited longer than most moms do. I HAD to go back though
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nikki M.
on 5/28/11 3:31 am
Standard maternity leave is 12 weeks, so only 3 months in the US. Lame eh?

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Catnip
on 5/28/11 4:05 am - Ottawa, Canada
 That is really not enough time. 

In Canada we get 52 weeks paid at 55% of our regular salary.  I am lucky because my employer will top me up for a year so that i will get 95% of my regular salary.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Lexa321
on 5/28/11 8:23 am - weston, FL
i was beyond ready to go back at 6 weeks.
pirate_mommy
on 5/28/11 5:14 am
Where is 12 weeks standard? I'm a teacher, and in our profession, you get six weeks. NONE of that is paid. You can request longer as long as you know you aren't getting a dime unless you pay into private disability insurance and your doctor will verify that you have a medical condition keeping you from work.

Jenn1973
on 5/29/11 3:45 am - Ottawa, Canada
Urgh!  They do not treat teachers well in the States!  I can't imagine only six, unpaid weeks for MAT.  Our standard for teachers in Ontario is 52 weeks, 17 weeks are at 70% of our salary, the rest of the time is covered by the government employment insurance, albeit at a much lower rate.   Our federal government employees are topped up for the full 52 weeks to as much as 97%.  A friend of mine who works for our federal government banked more $ on Mat Leave because she didn't have to pay the high downtown parking rates and cafeteria lunches for a year.  Living in Ottawa, where there are SO many federal government employees, can be hard sometimes!  Especially when you are not one of them.

By law, Canadians (maybe only in Ontario, but I believe it is federal law) are entitled to 52 weeks Mat Leave, but their individual contracts and company policies determine if they receive Mat Leave pay.  All employed Cdn women can access $ from emplyment insurance while they are off.  We also have the option of splitting our leave with our partners who can take Pat Leave.  Adoption Leave is similar, but it may be only 6 months.  Many women, of course, opt to return to work early because they cannot afford to live on EI or because the trajectory of their careers in some industries may be impacted dramatically if they miss a year.  My sister-in-law, for example, went back to work after 6 months because she was promoted just a few months before announcing her pregnancy and simply felt that being off in the world of corporate real estate was not best for her next step in her career.  My aunt went back at 3 months because she was just starting her medical practice. 

I am due in August, which is perfect for the world of education, I will be off for the full school year.  I hope you are able to take the full summer and enjoy your baby!!

Jenn

Baby Boy Julian Frederick
Born August 11, 2011

Sansobel
on 5/27/11 11:25 pm - Coatesville, PA
Don't worry .. you can get the supply back up.  I know its hard but hang in there.  Us working moms really have a way of 'making' it work.

HUGs
Lianne C.
on 5/28/11 12:55 am - Garden City, MI
Yeah, I guess it is just depressing. I was excited that I had more than enough to make it happen... Well I guess my child had a different idea! LOL
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 858 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views