Baby small and got induction date

dizzymisslizzy1976
on 6/14/11 12:25 am - Canada
After 2 u/s a month apart. My doctor says im measuring along with the in office measurements about 2 weeks smaller. I am also being induced at 39 weeks because I am on Lovenox. Im worried about his weight but as long as he is healthy thats all i am concerned about. I am 36 and a half weeks right now, and both my previous pregnancies pre WLS I had big babies 8,2 and 9,2  so of course when i bought clothes i only grabbed 3 months sizes. it would be ironicv if i had to go out and get all nb stuff now :(
I never knew until recently that moms having WLS are prone to smaller babies until my doctor told me a month or two ago that a patient was measuring fine all along and had a 4.5lb little one. Im anxious to get him out and feed him properly...:)

one more thing ive read a couple articles saying WLS moms are more prone to c sections, they have no idea why but even moms who have had vag births prior ...anyone ever hear of this? being on the lovenox i do not want this of course
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20757;28/st/20110709/k/9d70/preg.png[/img]
[/url]
hockeybabe2u
on 6/14/11 1:03 am - Allegan, MI
1st of all, you have to remember that ultrasounds can be off by 1 pound and sometimes more....so your baby might not be as small as they are saying or possibly could be smaller.  I have a very hard time believeing woman that have WLS are more prone to smaller babies and having a c-section.  Everyone and each pregnancy is so different regardless of WLS or any other matter.  This is my 4th pregnancy, 2nd one post-op and my last born son was 9 days early and weighed 8lbs 5.5oz.  My 1st son pre-WLS was 17 days early and weighed 7lbs 10oz and my 2nd child pre-WLS was born 9 days late and she was 8lbs 12oz.  Giving how early or late they were born, if you put them born on their due dates, they would have all been very similar in size regardless of my WLS.

On another note, I know NOTHING about lovenox and have no idea of it's side effects and if this causes lower birth weights and such.  Lets just hope and pray that your little one will be born healthy and without any complications!  Best of luck to you!  I look forward to hearing your birth story and your baby's stats when born!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

cass2399
on 6/14/11 1:18 am - Sabattus, ME
Yea, I agree with the PP.  Ultrasounds are notorious for being off.  I also don't think that there is a correlation between WLS and having smaller babies.  My doctors are actually worried right now that this baby is going to be much bigger than my first (pre-WLS).  I think that every baby born is different and WLS really doesn't have much to do with it.  I also don't think there is a correlation between WLS and having a c-section and I have never seen anything on this.  While I have not had this baby yet, my doctors don't see any problem with me having him vaginally like I did with my first.  Again, every birth is different so we will see.

Good luck to you and your baby!!
dizzymisslizzy1976
on 6/14/11 1:45 am - Canada
I know about the + and - a lb for U/S. Im just going by what I am seeing my pregnancy and with MY measurements is all. And yes there is a correlation between WLS and smaller babies but no not for every single one of us of course there is as always the exception to the rule and i hope you are one of them and i hope i am too in the end. I am on the lovenox because i had a blood clot in my lung postop and since pregnancy makes any woman higher risk for develping one they put me on it as a precaution.very  Expensive drug, and i have to give myself needles everyday. Ill be glad when thats over! :) As for C sections i just stumbled accross an article is all so i wondered if anyone else did :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20757;28/st/20110709/k/9d70/preg.png[/img]
[/url]
hockeybabe2u
on 6/14/11 2:10 am - Allegan, MI
And yes there is a correlation between WLS and smaller babies but no not for every single one of us of course there is as always the exception to the rule and i hope you are one of them and i hope i am too in the end.

Are you saying that most woman that have WLS have smaller babies and those that don't are the exception to the rule?  If so, I'm sorry I don't see that being correct by the woman that post on this board (now and from 3 years ago).  I would like to see those statistics as I'm skeptical.

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Hollywog
on 6/14/11 3:33 am
Personally - no statistics to back it up, just my two cents for what it's worth - I don't think that WLS moms are more prone to c-sections...I think that the increase in c-sections in general (ie all pregancies) is due to the increased number of inductions for various reasons....and increased inductions when mom's body and/or the baby is not quite ready can lead to a c-section.

Some of those reasons for induction are legitimate reasons - for the health of the baby and/or the mother - some are just b/c the baby's 'late,' which I don't necessarily consider a health reasons (though bear in mind I am not a dr!) as much as an inconvenience...I mean...as long as mom/baby's healthy...EVENTUALLY s/he will get here, right?  Obviously if there are changes, it goes back to part one of what I said, meaning for the health of the baby/mom.  Obviously your induction is also for health reasons...and obviously there are exceptions to my 'don't induce b/c the baby's late' theory...there is no 100% same answer for each and every pregnancy. 

What I'm trying to say...probably badly...is that if less 'unnecessary' inductions were done...less c-sections would be done, regardless of WLS history or not.  I personally have friends (not on OH) *****quested their drs do a c-section w/o even trying for a vaginal birth...and the drs complied, which I find ridiculous.   I'm not trying to bash anyone who had an 'induction of convenience' (my phrase....not meant to offend as much as to separate from medical reason inductions)...I just think there is a time and a place for them and too often women are induced when they should have been left to continue 'baking' that last little bit.  I have been with one friend who was induced for two of her three children, and her induced labors were much harder than going into labor and giving birth 'naturally'...which is a lot of what I base my opinion on that women should just bake until their body's are ready (again w/the caveat of barring med reasons from my 'continue baking' theory!).

Regarding the Lovenox...I also do daily injections of Lovenox due to three genetic blood clotting mutations (never had a clot though) and multiple (5) miscarriages.  I am not currently pregnant...the plan this time around is to have me on the Lovenox BEFORE getting pregnant to see if it helps.  However..I do know from what my dr told me about it when they started me on it...they'll have you come off the Lovenox, then they want to induce you as soon as it's possible.  They try not to induce - or do c-section - while still doing the Lovenox b/c of the risk of more bleeding (though they do have meds to counter the blood thinners if necessary)...but they also don't want to wait longer than necessary and risk a clot. 

You've only got a few weeks left...I pray everything goes well and that your baby's a good size and healthy.

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

SHANNYN B.
on 6/14/11 11:48 am
I was on lovenox then heparin also. My first post op babyy was 3 weeks early and 6 pounds 10 ounces. Quite normal. The twins I just had were 4 11 and 5 1 at 33 weeks so had I gone much further they would have been pretty big. They measured at 2-3 pounds about a week before I had them so measuring was way off. I had the single baby vaginal birth and the twins in a section but that was because baby b was sideways. So from all I have seen sections are not happening more for us but more from a lot of people. I think it has to do with inductions also.
Damayin 12-3-93
Jarrid 10-12-98
Hayvann 11-22-09
Kerstyn 4-2-11
Kinzy 4-2-11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1263 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 870 views
Glucose test