Deli Meat

Jenn1973
on 6/21/11 9:38 am - Ottawa, Canada
Oh Jen, I didn't realize that all you went through was do to E. coli.  I had a case of E.coli poisoning in March, fast food related or airline food related for sure.  I was only half way through the pregnancy and lost 11 pounds that week. 

I work with kids myself (principal of an elementary school) and they can be pretty gross!  I find that I am much less inclined to welcome their hugs since I've been pregnant - so weird.  My school often has lice problems (inner-city school) and I thought at first I was worried about head lice, but perhaps my body is saying "beat it kid, you look like your hands are sticky." 

Thank you for the heads up and I am so happy to see you back on the board. 

Jenn

Baby Boy Julian Frederick
Born August 11, 2011

Jennifer H.
on 6/22/11 11:00 am - stockton, CA
Yes I went into premature labor due to the infection.My body was rejecting my pregnancy because of it Bethanies water broke because the stress from the infection it was causing my body.Both girls tested positive for it.When Grace had passed the doctors has cleared hers up between everything she went though and came out of we didn't even think we would lose her but god needed her and sister both.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

serathia
on 6/19/11 5:53 am - Schenectady, NY
I'll confess that I eat deli meat whenever I feel ike it....have iwth every pregnancy.  It's not that often and I make sure it's fresh...otherwsise I really don't stress it.

Just my opinion....I know some people are much stricter than me.

-Jennifer

Jenn1973
on 6/21/11 9:41 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thank you Jennifer!

My aunt is a physician (dermatologist) and I called her to ask.  She laughed and said through her 5 healthy pregnancies she would have eaten deli meat, hot dogs, and the like.  She was pregnant for most of the mid-80's to early-90's and she sometimes feels that all of the "warnings" that we get today are over the top.  We are so cautious that it can make us crazy.

Thank you
Jenn

Born August 11, 2011

LoveLikeWinter
on 6/19/11 10:21 pm
I did it once (turkey sub from Subway) and spent the rest of the afternoon crying, thinking my baby would come out with three heads because I did it, so now I just avoid it. I'm too much of a worrier and it's not worth the stress... I've been craving it, but I actually know someone who miscarried from listeria, so I think of that and can't bring myself to do it. It's just for another 5 months or so and then I can have a big sub if I want :)
_Heather_
Il faut souffrir pour être belle

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story." -Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris

Lost 169 lb before getting pregnant!
Mama to Aleksandar J.B., 11.26.11 <3 Now I know what true love REALLY is! <3
Jenn1973
on 6/21/11 9:45 am - Ottawa, Canada

We had a big listeria scare here in Ontario a few years ago.  That is what I thought was the biggest issue with deli meats, but it turns out that sodium content and other bacteria seem to be the cause for alarm.  I am going to see my OB on Monday and will confirm whether deli is a no-go for me.  Until then, I am going to be careful about freshness and my own food prep.  I won't be going to Subway for deli, that's for sure - my ham and cheese on italian bread are made at home with deli from Farm Boy - a local "Whole Foods" type store with very high quality ratings.

Thanks again!

Jenn

Born August 11, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1238 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 861 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1322 views