Safe to get Pregnant?

miasmom
on 7/9/11 3:55 pm
Hi -
I have read several articles that say it is safe anywhere from 6 months post op to 18 months.  I had a gastric sleeve in September and am well below my goal weight.  (I started at 231 lbs and am now 131 lbs).  I would not have any issues with malabsorbtion as the sleeve does not cause that.  My only concern would be vitamins and all my labs come back great.

I am really wanting another baby and am already 36 years old so would prefer to try sooner rather than later.  In looking through the posts it seems there are several people who got pregnant before the 18 month post op mark.  Is this safe?  

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any info. 

C
Mia's Mom

"Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality." - Ralph Marston

Nikki M.
on 7/10/11 4:02 am
I read an article the other day that said a minimum of 6 months for non-malabsorptive surgeries like the band, if at goal weight. Are you able to eat enough food at this point? I know I was by 6 months post op, and not in a good way haha! If your labs are good and you are able to eat enough and you are goal weight, it sounds pretty good to me. However I am not a doctor.
Have you talked to your Dr. about it? Good luck!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

miasmom
on 7/10/11 1:42 pm
Thanks Nikki- I appreciate the sound advice!!  
Paula622
on 7/10/11 11:37 am
Should be fine!  I had my surgery about 6 weeks before you and I'm 22 weeks pregnant.  I too was close to goal weight (wish I could say I was below it), had great labs, and could eat a good amount when we decided to go off birth control.  I've had no problems with my pregnancy and neither my OB nor my surgeon have any sleeve related concerns with my pregnancy.  I take my two multi vitamins and some calcium with vitamin D.  I can easily eat over 1500 calories and have no problems getting my fluids in, these would be the main things to look out for.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

miasmom
on 7/10/11 1:42 pm
Congrats Paula - That is GREAT news on your pregnancy!!  I bought the ovulation tests today to officially start trying!!!

crystal dewdrops
on 7/10/11 11:15 pm - Australia
Hi

I'm going to be the downer on this one but not in a blah blah way.

I fell pregnant 2months out (BC failure) and lost my son Rylan (early 2nd tri) due to not being able to stay out of ketosis. I was in hospital on a drip lots.

Dh and I had a chat to my GYNO and RE and was told if I didn't try now I could not ever have anymore, so we went ahead 10months after my op. I fell pregnant with triplets. I lost 2 and am now 34weeks pregnant with a little girl. I still have alot of trouble eating. I stuggle to get my cals in aswell as my fluids.  I have growth scans as she is very tiny ( now this could be from me not eating enough since my other 3 children have been 7lbs 2oz @ 37 weeks, 7lbs 7oz @39weeks and 7lbs 10oz @40) they are guessing her size to be lucky at 5lbs and some change at 40weeks, but that being said ultrasounds can be off by alteast 1lb either way.

I haven't really heard of other women having trouble with their eating ( only one other) and you could be one that is perfectly fine and get everything in. I'm just letting you know that there is the chance that things don't always sail along all nice a smoothly and there can be troubles if your body isn't ready or you have really great restriction.

Best wishes
Crystal
SW 113.3kg/249.8lbs (BMI 47.8)
VSG 02/24/10 with Dr Mosse
Weight lost pre-op 9.3kg/20.5lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test