Pre-surgery issues - could it really be that simple?

aseg21
on 7/10/11 11:13 pm - Miami, FL
I won't lie - prior to surgery my weight was completely out of control. I was over 350 lbs and my periods were completely MIA. I had one tube removed from torsion 8 years ago and was still extremely overweight so my period didn't return. Of course, given that my periods weren't happening we simply skipped birth control all together and for 5 years nothing happened. Fast forward to last year when I started loosing weight pre-surgery. After losing 50 lbs pre-surgery my period returned and has been pretty regular since (30-31 day cycle). I got the go-ahead from my surgeon last month to abandon birth control and did. My question is could it really be that simple? Could it really be that my excess weight was the sole cause for my lack of periods and pregnancy? Has anyone had it be that simple and successfully gotten pregnant with cir****tances similar to this? ClearBlue shows the ovulation spike but that's as far as I've gone with figuring things out. Should I be worried at this point and attempting to convince my OB-Gyn to explore things further?

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

Sansobel
on 7/11/11 12:28 am - Coatesville, PA
so far it appears mine to be just like that.

Periods maybe 3x's a year and took IVF to get my son. 

Started trying in Jan/Feb and was pregnant by May.  I totally believe it was due to the weightloss and my healthier body.

Just my opinion... I'm no doctor.  :-)
Mariann M.
on 7/11/11 12:59 am - Washago , Canada
I tried for 4 years after having my daughter pre surgery to concive but nothing happened, I had to induce a period 4 times a year. Then found out 6 months post op that I was pregnant !!!! I was in shock, so yes it may be that easy of an issue. 
Hollywog
on 7/11/11 3:16 am
Yes, it could be that 'simple' of a solution.  That's why the drs tell you to double up on birth control after WLS...b/c many women are more 'fertile.'

I hope if you're ready to TTC - now that you have the dr's OK - that you get a BFP soon! 

Look for a book called 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility.' It'll explain a lot on how to track your fertility, monitoring ovulation etc.  It's well written, easy to ready and makes sense. 

BTW...great job on the WLS....put that work to good use and start working on that baby when you're ready! 

Best wishes.

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain