GD test and Lapband

stacey0523
on 7/18/11 1:12 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I have a qustion about having the gestational diabeties test done with a lap band.  I will probably have it at not my next appt but the one after that (so like 6 weeks from now maybe).  Anyways my doctor will give me the drink to have at home, they want me to eat protien and then drink the drink then come in an hour later.  Well my problem is I can't usually eat until ATLEAST 10 or 11 and then even after that I have to wait about 30 mins to an hour before I drink.  Do you all have any ideas or suggestions for me?  I am going to try to talk to my doctor at my next appt about it but I figured I would see what you "experts" reccomend! :-)
Total weight loss from highest known weight:   
Weight loss since surgery on June 8, 2010     
tamiissunshine
on 7/18/11 3:31 am - Halsey, OR
Have a protein drink. That way you can drink the nasty drink whenever you need to cause it not solid protein that you'll be washing down.
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

lesliejayne
on 7/18/11 11:10 am - Noxapater, MS

I had a hard time getting down that much liquid....and it held up in my throat until about 10 minutes before I had my blood drawn again.  Needless to say, I failed the test.  Three weeks later I did the post prandial test where they took a fasting sugar, then I ate, and drew labs again.  Completely normal.  I couldn't eat until late, late morning either.  I had to go for that test around 11:30.  Good luck to you!

Leslie

Dev *.
on 7/18/11 11:54 am - Austin, TX
 Can you schedule the test for later in the day? That way you can be at you "ready to eat" time and then still have an hour for your food to go through before you drink the sugar?

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

USAF Wife
on 7/18/11 10:02 pm
I just wanted to share my experience even though I do not have a band anymore. I had VSG over 2 years ago, and I'm now 6 months pregnant. So, it was time for me to do the GD sugar swallow.

After much discussion, and my concern with transit time of liquids with my sleeved stomach, my ob opted to have me do at-home glucose readings for 2 weeks. 4 times a day, first one is fasting in the morning, then 3 times throughout the day 2 hours after my largest meals of the day. I told him that I rarely consume 75gr of sugar throughout an entire day. I told him that my gastric emptying time with liquids is pretty quick, and that I'm sure the results might be skewed. He has all his RNY patients follow this regimen, and even though I do not dump on sugar, my stomach is altered and liquids move out super fast.

I should add that I have only one risk factor for GD being my age (34), and with my previous pregnancy, I did not have GD. Even at my heaviest, I never had diabetes, or pre-diabetes. It doesn't run in my family history so they are not too overly concerned. At this point, the main concern is that Tatum is weighing about 8-10oz heavier than she should at this stage. 

As much as I hate poking myself 4 times a day, I am grateful that my doctor wants to get accurate results.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 858 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views