Pregnancy after DS

Ckoch77
on 8/1/11 11:23 am - Mankato, MN
I am currently going for the Gastric Bypass but have wanted the Switch instead. My surgeon said if I want children after the surgery, it will be difficult to maintain the pregnancy with the Switch due to the nutrient loss. I have not found anything online agreeing with this. Does anyone have any idea about this? Please and Thank you!!
Jade ..
on 8/1/11 12:04 pm - GA
 I went in to my surgeon's office with this being my number deciding factor.  I didn't care what surgery I got, as long as it could sustain a pregnancy.  Because of my starting weight, RNY and the DS made the most sense and he said that there was no difference between them as far as pregnancy goes.  In my personal experience, and everyone's journey and opinions are different, I'm doing just fine being pregnant with the DS.  My labs have stayed the same, except for my B12.  I've had to supplement my protein more but other than that things look good and I'm happy with how everything has gone.  Baby is growing extremely well, even measuring large at this point for his age, and I feel great.  I didn't see a high risk OB, though some do, and my labs looked good at my halfway point.  I'll have them drawn again after the baby is born to check on things again and supplement as needed.  I've gained a total of 5 lbs so far and I have 5 weeks left.  That has freaked me out, but I probably wasn't done losing to begin with (got knocked up at about 15 months out) and like I said, baby is growing really well.  :)  
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

RainyDayWoman
on 8/2/11 3:18 am - Fridley, MN
I had a beautiful 7 pound, 9 ounce baby boy a little more than two years after DS surgery.  My pregnancy was great.  I had to eat a ton but that wasn't painful.  Who's your surgeon?
Ckoch77
on 8/2/11 4:27 am - Mankato, MN
Dr. Ikramuddin. When I had my consultation and we began discussing what surgery was best, I mentioned the DS and he said "it is very easy to get pregnant but very hard to maintain the pregnancy after the Switch". We then agreed on the Bypass but after reading all of the replies I have gotten, it makes me reconsider doing the Switch.
RainyDayWoman
on 8/2/11 11:12 am - Fridley, MN
He does discourage pregnancy after DS for some reason.  Dr. Buchwald said it would be fine and no big deal for me to have a post-DS baby, and he was right.  Other than a few wonky labs and an insatiable appetite, my pregnancy was pretty easy.

I do know one post-op DSer who had a growth restricted baby and some pregnancy issues.  It's hard to know if they were from her DS or not, because some pregnancies just are complicated.  But the majority of the OH DSers who have had post-op babies seem to have had healthy pregnancies and babies.
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 8:18 am - Woodbridge, VA
I know of many DSers who have had successful post-DS pregnancies; I've never heard of a single one who lost a pregnancy post-DS. There was even a woman on the DS board who was actually pregnant when she went in for her DS (too early to show on urine test), so she was pregnant from the very beginning post-op. Obviously, this is NOT ideal and was a dangerous situation, but she ended up carrying to term and having a healthy baby. I know another post-DS woman who was a surrogate and carried TWINS successfully.

I'm not sure what Dr. I is basing those comments on...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views