How long did you wait after surgery before TTC?

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/12/11 10:13 am
Hi all!  I'm new to this board.  I have lurked here a little bit, but thought I'd post today.

I had VSG on 6/22/11.  I'm 32, married, no kids yet.  My question for all of you lovely ladies is:  how long did you wait after your surgery before you started TTC?

My doc has said wait a year, or if I get to goal and stabilize before that, then that's ok too.  But I really want to hear what you all did!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

mandajolyn
on 8/12/11 1:52 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Every Dr is different. Mine wanted me to wait 12-16 months and wanted my weight to be stable and that I didn't have any problems getting in the nutrition I needed! I got pregnant at 15 months out with my surgeon's ok!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

trouble256
on 8/12/11 2:31 pm - Athens, AL
Every dr is different. Mine recommended 12-18 months - in the beginning.  After following me throughout my journey and learning mine and DH's reproductive history, he *assumed* it would take a while for us to get pregnant. (it will make sense after this... lol DH had a testical removed 4 yrs ago due to cancer so he had 2/3 lower count than "normal" and I had a history of PCOS due to obesity)

My surgeon, nutritionist, and OB all cleared me and DH to start "trying" at the 9 month mark.  Again, they "assumed" it would take a while...lol Joke was on them! We DTD ONCE after that "clearance" and I now have a beautiful 13 month old daughter named Claudia. :) 

Again, I "asked" permission when Claudia was 7 months old - when the best time to "try" again, and all three agreed "whenever" because of the assumption that it would "take a while" again...JOKES ON THEM. (apparently our infertility issues went out the window with my 150lbs that left too...) I am now just shy of 28 weeks with our son Caleb. LOL

My doctors did take into consideration my caloric intake (which should have been better), my vitamin absorption, and of course my weight stability ( at 9 months I had already exceeded the surgeons expectations). What they didnt take into account is that I would become "fertile mertyle" after my RNY.

Good luck, best suggestion. As long as your doctors feel it is safe, do what is best for you and your family. Keep in mind you did make this decision to become healthy, so you owe it not only to yourself but your future kids to be as fit and healthy as possible before trying to carry them and give them life.

Again, Good Luck & God Bless!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
VictoriousSecret
on 8/13/11 4:54 am
I plan to TTC at 18 months, which is the earliest my doctor allows. I'm not yet at goal and hope to be there by the time 18 months rolls around (I'm at 8 moths now).

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

Jade ..
on 8/13/11 5:36 am, edited 8/13/11 5:36 am - GA
 My doctor said in no way shape or form was I to be pregnant before 18 months.  I waited until my weight had stabilized for three months and then went off the ring.  I figured since we had tried for 8 years nothing would happen but was pregnant the first month.  Edited to add I was 15 months along when I got pregnant.
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

Jennifer H.
on 8/14/11 12:21 am - stockton, CA
At 19 months out we started and onlyh took four months most drs want you to wait a year to 15 months.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

Paula622
on 8/15/11 11:28 am
First off, you had your surgery on my birthday, fun!  Anyway, since we have sleeves, the timing is more individual because we don't have any malabsorbtion issues.  At 6 months out, my labs were great, my weight loss had really slowed down (I was only about 6lbs from a normal BMI), and I could eat a decent amount of calories by spacing my meals closer together.  That being said, my husband and I decided to just "see what happens" after that point... about a minute later I was pregnant.  I've had a very uncomplicated pregnancy.  Neither my surgeon nor my OB have any sleeve related concerns with my pregnancy.  Good luck to you.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views