Changing OBs @ 30 weeks. Eeek!

trouble256
on 8/30/11 12:13 pm - Athens, AL
Yes, thats right...I am changing doctors at 30 weeks.  I wanted to change prior to even becomming pregnant but allowed DH to convince me to stay with this OB because he is the one that delivered Claudia.  Ugh.

He is NOT the same doc!  He has become HELLA busy with so many Medicaid patients that his practice is literally busting at the seams.  I was labeled "high risk" at the beginning of my pregnancy simply because I was "high risk" with Claudia (she was conceived 9 months post op RNY) and because of this I was told, I would ALWAYS see the doctor.  Yeah....wanna guess how many times I have seen him?? Once. Yes, thats it...in ALL the appointments I have had, I have had the pleasure of seeing my DOCTOR one time. Every other visit I see his NP.  Who I DO NOT like. She is very snooty and acts as if she "doesnt have time" to listen to anything I have to say, and when I do get her attention to ask a question, her response is..."I dont know, we will have to ask Dr Pitman". WTF IS YOUR JOB THEN???!?!?

Anyway, I have a history of preterm labor (had to start trebutaline at 24 weeks with Claudia and took it until I delivered at 37). Well about a week or so ago I started having contractions 3-4 mins apart and lasting roughly about 45 seconds (I know they are contractions because obviously this isnt my first rodeo).  So I do what I KNOW the dr office is going to tell me.....drink 32 oz of water, take two extra strength tylonel and a warm bath....if in an hour they are still there, go to the L&D.

Check, check check....still 3-4 mins and 45 seconds...I pack up Claudia, get DH home from work and we head to L&D.  They put me on a monitor, sure enough....like clockwork. 3-4 mins, 45 seconds...I get a shot to stop contractions, and sent home. YAY!

The VERY next day....about 6p, they start up again.  Of couse I do all the "instructions" before I even think of calling the dr. About 9p I send him a text. His reply "they arent real contractions, just irritating...if they get more intense go to L&D" OMG!  REALLY?!?!?

Anyway, we all know how that ended....needless to say, I am annoyed with his lack of concern for his patients.  I think if you are going to do something you should do it right.  Needless to say, I started looking for a new OB the following Monday.  

Luckily I found one who is WILLING to take on a "High risk" patient at 30 weeks, and has an AMAZING reputation for being a good "group".  I guess thats the only thing I am uncomfortable with....its NOT one dr. Its a group of drs.  Fortunately I am having a repeat c-section, so I am assuming I will KNOW who is going to be cutting me open.  (hopefully)  I have an appointment with them on Thursday.  

Would you ladies have changed? 
Any questions I should ask this "group" since I have never had more than one OB?
Since its a change of hospital should I go "tour" the L&D ?
Should I notify my insurance company or will they figure it out?
Are their penalties for changing drs? (this group is in my network)

Thanks for reading if you have made it this far......
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
linda.traxler
on 8/30/11 5:24 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Good for you for changing docs!  I absolutely would have too!

It shouldn't be a problem with the insurance as long as he is on your plan, his office should take care of every thing. 

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!  And bravo on being a great self advocate!!!

Best wishes!
Linda

imnotknitting
on 8/30/11 11:41 pm
I TOTALLY would've changed too! I think you are doing the right thing. I hope you feel comfy with your new docs!

Tina
Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
Paula622
on 8/31/11 12:24 am
Don't worry, you're not crazy!  I'm 30 weeks tomorrow and last week I started thinking about switching docs too.  I'm in a group of 5 doctors and it defnitely does have its perks... always someone to see you/ answer your questions, you can pick the doc you "click" the best with, I never get stuck waiting for an appointment because the doc got called out for a birth...  However, it also has its downfalls... when you go in to labor (or even just a middle of the night phone call) you get whomever is on call.  This was the basis for my concern that had me thinking I'd switch.  I'm planning a VBAC and it seems that they all have different opinions on whether or not these should even be considered.  I'm worried about going into labor when one of the non-supportive doctors is on call and having them try to push me into a c-section before I'm ready to "give up".  However, I like the practice overall and really want to stay at the hospital where they deliver (this is where I had my first delivery, and had my sleeve done).  I've been unable to find a good VBAC friendly doctor (or better yet midwife) that practices at my hospital, so right now i'm just hoping that all goes well.  If I had found someone I was comfortable with, you bet I would've switched, even this late in the game.  I think you're definitely within reason to find a new doc!  You have to be comfortable with the person delivering your precious bundle!  I had a heart to heart with my doc last Thursday about this and he assured me that the doc on call will support whatever kind of birth experience I want (we'll just have to see I guess).  Good luck with your new doc!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

teresa79
on 8/31/11 1:08 am - Fowler, IN
Would you ladies have changed?  Hell to the YES! You need to do what feels safe for you and your baby.

Any questions I should ask this "group" since I have never had more than one OB? I would ask for a consult appointment (more time since you are just now seeing him/her.) when you get your appointment scheduled or if u already have one then schedule another OB appointment, you have that right to do so. Defiantly ask all questions related to your past pregnancies and the high risks that were involved with them! Ask the nurses in his care on how your new Ob's bed side care is, heck, ask the ladies sitting in the waiting room if they have the same OB and what their experiences have been in the past or so far. You will always get an honest answer from his patients. 

Since its a change of hospital should I go "tour" the L&D ? I would take a tour of the L&D, it would just put my mind at ease since it's a completely different hospital.

Should I notify my insurance company or will they figure it out? I would notify them, just a quick call that a way they can't say you didn't give them notice of any kind. Not sure who ur insurance company is. They all have different policy's.

Are their penalties for changing drs? (this group is in my network) With my insurance company (United Health Care) there are no penalties for changing Dr.'s as long as they are in my network.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 858 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views