What to do about Glucose test?

boomsheeka01
on 8/31/11 2:02 am - Killeen, TX
I have my glucose test sheduled for the 13th and I told my ob that I am not a dumper, but he said I may still have a problem with it. I can eat a bag of candy corn and feel okay so I said I should be fine so he said ok we can do it the regular way. I think I changed my mind! What other way can they do the test without me drinking that sugar stuff?
   Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Brooklynnsmom
on 8/31/11 2:09 am - Bellevue, NE
I have had 2 post op babies (2 different drs) and they had me do the test 2 different ways.  One had me get a glucometer and test my sugar 1st thing in the morning (fasting sugar) and then 2 hours after every meal for 1 week and report back to her the results at the next appt.  The other dr. just had me come in 1st thing in the morning fasting and he just did blood work (whi*****luded my A1C). 

I definately wouldn't drink the sugar drink--it is like 55 grams of sugar! 

Debbie
Lexa321
on 8/31/11 2:13 am - weston, FL
thats alot of sugar... im not a dumper either... but the drink ( that tasted soooooooooo good) made me feel like death... really its not an accurate way to determine how a body processes sugar for anyone... really how often does someone eat 50g of sugar? with jayson and jaymee i did a fasting test.. then ate a normal for me breakfast... then 2 hours later went for another blood draw...
imnotknitting
on 8/31/11 2:37 am
My doc had me do the same thing as Lexa's.

Tina
Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
hockeybabe2u
on 8/31/11 2:45 am - Allegan, MI
I did the same test that Lexa did with my last 2 pregnancies post-op.  I went into the lab in the morning after fasting all night (only drank water and took my vitamins in the morning) and then I went and ate a normal breakfast/lunch and went back 2 hours after I ate my 1st bite to redraw.  My test came back good both times!  Good luck in what you decide!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Rhie P.
on 8/31/11 4:45 am
I wonder how they do the test when you eat like every hour??  I can't eat and then go 2-3 hours before eating again.  If my grouch pouch is empty oh holy dry heaves batman!!

I'm supposed to have my test soon (I had GD with my last two babies and was told even though I had RNY and lost weight...chances are I will still have GD with this baby).....we're in the middle of a move so it won't be for at least 3 weeks.....but I dump.....I've tested the waters at 15grams of sugar at one time is all I can handle...any more than that....and it's like death is knocking at my door!!

Rhie

SassySamara
on 8/31/11 4:53 am - San Antonio, TX
I had a glucose monitor for two weeks. I tested 5 times a day: before breakfast, after every meal, and then before bed. It tracked the info and then my perinatologist downloaded it for the results. Since I was RNY they said the other tests would not be accurate even if I DID do them. They gave me a coupon for a practically free monitor and also a discount on the strips and my insurance covered the rest so it was little to no out of pocket. Some OB rent them out too since some ladies get gestational diabetes and do not want to buy one for just those few months. It was a pain to do the sticks but worth it in the end.

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

plusizedbarbie
on 8/31/11 1:34 pm - Manahawkin, NJ
I did the same finger ***** thing too.  idk what i will do this time since it's a different high risk OB i will be seeing but he already told me i wont be doing the regular test.
MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

Paula622
on 8/31/11 5:07 am
I've never been good with sweet drinks (I even water down my apple juice) so the glucose test (had to do the 1hr and 3hr) were the worst part of my first pregnancy (pre-op).  Even though I have a sleeve, and we don't tend to dump, I used my surgery as an "excuse" to get out of doing the traditional test for this pregnancy.  All I had to do was eat a "normal" breakfast (this was very hard to get defined for me) and then have my blood drawn 2 hours later.  My doc said as long as this came back normal I wouldn't have to do the "orange juice" test.  If my numbers were not satisfactory, then I would have had to do the standard test.  Thank God I passed!  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

tnliving
on 8/31/11 7:13 am
I don't dump either but my doc was afraid to try it so she had me fast after midnight the night before then she drew blood first thing in the morning. But I didn't have to go back for another blood draw. She sent the first off and tested for aneimea as well as the sugar. Everything came back good! Good luck with it!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1262 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 870 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1340 views