Prenatals

nkusho
on 9/3/11 1:02 pm
Question. I was taking my regular multivitamin after surgery, but now that i am pregnant the nurse over my OBYGYN doctor told me to take the prenatals instead. Is this what everybody is doing? I know i need more folic acid but i was wondering i should take both?
Thank you
crystal dewdrops
on 9/3/11 8:58 pm - Australia
Hi

Yep I swapped to prenatals. I also took an extra iron tablet that had extra folic acid in it too. I had lots of troubles with my iron levels.

Best wishes
Crystal
SW 113.3kg/249.8lbs (BMI 47.8)
VSG 02/24/10 with Dr Mosse
Weight lost pre-op 9.3kg/20.5lbs.

MeliT
on 9/4/11 3:45 am - Miami, FL
 yup i switched as well. my surgeron said prenatals had all the vitamins i need if not more. but i also take this b12 that has folic acid in it so i'm covered. you don't need to take the multi and the prenatal. just the prenatal.

hockeybabe2u
on 9/4/11 4:15 am - Allegan, MI
Every person is different!  I continued to take my multivitamin with both my post-op pregnancies.  It's important to have a full panel blood draw on all your vitamin levels.  I had my midwifre prescribe a prenatal, but didn't have it filled until I had the results of my 1st blood draw.  Everything came back good (except at that time my iron was on the high side).  They told me not to add or take the prenatal.....to continue my current vitamin schedule, but decrease my iron to every other day.  With my last blood draw, my iron was in normal range, but was dropping and my b6 and zinc was low so I added zinc and started taking my iron supplement every day.  Along with my multi vitamin, I take an additional sublingual b-12, D3, Calcium, folic acid, zinc and iron.  You will find some woman take more, some take less.....that is why you sould have your levels checked and go from there!  Make sure both your OB and your barix surgeon have the results of your blood work and confirm with them what you should or shouldn't be taking!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

hockeybabe2u
on 9/4/11 4:18 am - Allegan, MI
And it's a good idea to have your vitamin levels checked at least 3 times during your pregnancy....perferably at the beginning of each trimester!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

mandajolyn
on 9/4/11 9:02 am - Tallahassee, FL
Both my surgeon and ob had me switch one of the two multis I take with a prenatal and add additional folic acid, the rest stayed the same! They are watching my iron because I'm prone to anemia and may end up taking additional iron in the near future. I was given a script for 1mg folic acid because I used to take a medication that depleted my folate levels so ob wanted to be sure I was getting enough.
Every Dr. Is different. You should be fine taking prenatals as they have what we need, just keep an eye on your blood work!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 11:31 am - Woodbridge, VA
I never switched to prenatals. I looked it up online, and the primary differences between regular multis and prenatals tend to be simply that prenatals usually have more calcium, iron, and folic acid. Well, I compared my normal multi to a prenatal at the store, and my multi already had MORE folic acid, and I already take additional calcium and iron separately, so I saw no need to switch to a prenatal.

My OB is nutritionally clueless - she told me to stop EVERYTHING I was taking and take ONLY a prenatal instead. BAD idea, especially since she also refuses to run any labs to check my vitamin/mineral levels. I'm currently searching for a new OB  :)
nkusho
on 9/4/11 1:23 pm
Thank you for all your answers. I am lucky my OBGYN is very supportive of my surgery. He does check all my levels and so far i am doing good. He told me since i have a vsg my absorption is good. Cant wait to have my first U/S

Norma
Lianne C.
on 9/5/11 2:31 pm - Garden City, MI
I continues to take my Flintstone gummies until I was in my second trimester (after morning sickness). Than my OB gave me a chewable prenatal to make sure I was getting more of what I needed and I took it twice a day
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 858 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views