I need some advice!!!!

MissDizime
on 10/5/11 3:24 am - Roswell, NM
Revision on 05/02/16
So here's my situation.  I am a first time mom.  My baby girl is due in December.  Shortly after becoming pregnant my significant other decided this relationship wasn't for him.  I moved 200 miles from my family and friends to be with him.  My closest relative is 200 miles away.  I have spent pretty much the duration of my pregnancy alone. So here is my dilemma, my baby girl is due January 1st during the heart of the winter months.  The location that I live at gets a lot of snow.  Many times the highways that my family would travel to get to me are closed due to the weather.  My dilemma is this, should I ask my doctor about being induced so that I will have some emotional support with me during my labor or should I wait and let her be born when the time is right.  Part of me wants to wait until she is ready but I am not sure how the weather is going to play out.  I don't want to be in labor wanting my mom there and she can't get to me due to road restrictions.  I am feeling like I don't want to be induced because it increases the severity of labor.  What would you do???

Christina             

SassySamara
on 10/5/11 3:44 am - San Antonio, TX

How does your doctor feel about the induction? Some will not induce with a first baby until you go past the 40 weeks and I agree it is a harder labor and usually baby will come when she is ready. I had a friend who was induced, had 2 days of hard labor, and ended up with a c-section. I am not sure what your Mom options are because I realize people have to work and what not so that makes it hard as well. I take it you traveling there to stay for end of pregnancy and delivering would not be an option either as your doctor is not there....man...hard question...hope someone has a better answer. Good Luck!

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

twert80
on 10/5/11 4:01 am
I moved 1300 miles from home b4 i had my my kiddos.  Mom unfortunately has not been to any of my deliveries, but i have a very wonderful husband.  She was scheduled to arrive for the first one about a week prior to my actual delivery (4 wks prior to my DD) and well God had other plans.  My water broke and went into preterm labor and delivered at 35wks.  I was scared to death and I called to get the price of an emergency flight for mom but was way to costly.  With the second one she got here about a week late as well.  I managed fine without her, but again i have a great husband.  I guess what i am getting at is, i am a planner, but it never goes that way for me.  Be prepared for the unexpected, as my OB said "if i could read the future i would have retired by now".  I knowit is kinda sad and lonely when you don't get lotsof family and friends surrounding you at one of the happiest time of you life, but the person that loves you the most is in your arms.  No matter what you plan be prepared for the unexpected and have the back-up plan ready and waiting.  Best wishes for you and your family.

Tiff
imnotknitting
on 10/5/11 5:14 am

Any chance of moving back to your old home? Most doctors won't induce until 40+ weeks unless there is a medical necessity to do so. Good luck. That's a tough decision.

Tina

Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
apryldee
on 10/5/11 6:05 am - houston, TX
I would say waite. Let her come on her own. I know you dont want to be alone while in labor, but if your mom can't come early you can do it. You are more likely to end in a c-section with an inducement. So let her come in her own sweet time. If God's will is for your family to be there then they will be. You will be fine.

SW 280/ SW 266/ PPW 175/ CW 185

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal picture

hockeybabe2u
on 10/5/11 10:48 am - Allegan, MI
I can feel you on this one! But it's said woman that get induced often aquire longer, harder labors and have a higher chance of having a c-section. Seeing this is your 1st child, you labor more than likely will be fairly long to begin with. Which means your mom might have time to make it there! Is it possible for your mom to come stay with you closer to your due date? Is it possible for you to move back closer to your family? I can totally understand why you would want your mom and/or family to be there for you! Ultimately, it's up to you and your doctor to decide. I wish you the best of luck!
linda.traxler
on 10/5/11 5:47 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
I wouldn't ask to be induced, but I do understand where you're coming from.  Chances are, as a first time mom, labor will be longer and perhaps someone from your family can get to you even if the weather isn't great.

Another option is to find a Doula.  This can be a great support person so you won't feel alone during labor just in case someone from your family can't get there in time!!  A doula will stay with you (and only you, not like a nurse who has other patients).  She will stay through the entire labor and delivery and will be there to help you after. Most also make home visits to see if you need help!

I can't remember the web site, but google doulas of america... and there should be some way to link to where you are!

I know it's hard when you don't have family nearby.  My family is in America, I'm in Austria...  no chance mom is getting here for the birth!  A doula can really be a great support!!

Very very best wishes to you,I hope you find a good solution!!
Sarah V.
on 10/6/11 7:35 am
Any chance you could move back home before your baby arrives?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1260 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 869 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1336 views