36 week appointment - VENT! (long)

RachelRN
on 1/3/12 6:37 am - Noblesville, IN
So in my particular OB practice, you rotate around and see all of the doctors, but you do have a primary doctor. Today I saw my primary who also happened to be the one to deliver my son. He is usually fine, but has said some questionable things to me in the past. One instance was I went in for an appointment because I had been bleeding at around 14 weeks. He checked me and said "are you sure it was vaginal because I don't see any blood near your cervix." The nurse got on his case and said his comment wasn't helping and reminded him I was obviously upset and worried. He then said "Well at least I didn't tell her that she had part of a fetus hanging out of her cervix!" Anyway, fast forward to today. He came in and asked how I was. I told him that I was still contracting all the time and have been having consistent BH every 2-6 minutes for over 24 hours. I also said that between the constant contractions, not being able to work, being responsible for a toddler and having insomnia the entire pregnancy that I was feeling depressed. His reply? "Well me inducing you now and putting the baby on a vent would be more depressing." Ouch! I just wanted a little support and perhaps some advice how to get through these "blues" and make it a couple more weeks. Also, I think at 36.5 weeks, the baby would probably not be vented.  Luckily I am pretty much able to pick and choose who I see, so I will not be seeing him next week. Also, despite all of the BH, my cervix is still closed and high. I am so aggravated, but baby Lily looks great! Thanks for reading, I just had to vent a little.
tnliving
on 1/3/12 7:25 am
My lil man was born on the very day he was 36 weeks he weighed 5 lbs even and was 19 inches long.  perfectly healthy in every way. he took to bf like a champ and now at 14 weeks old he weighs around 12 lbs so I really think your doctor is just being a jerk!!  Hope everything goes well for you and your lo!!!
tamiissunshine
on 1/3/12 7:45 am - Halsey, OR
I'm sorry the doc is being insensitive. It's very annoying when someone who has never experienced pregnancy and the different issues that go along with it would be so unsympathetic. Plus I think the baby would be fine, I had to be induced right at 37 weeks with my first one and she had no issues breathing.
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

MusicMaryn
on 1/3/12 10:42 am - San Jose, CA
Wow.. what a schmuck!  Men don't really get what we go through - regardless of how any years education and experience they have in OB.  That's why I ONLY will see a female OB.  My fert docs were male, but they were totally awesome.

Keep your chin up, sweetie.  Sounds like the baby is doing fine and yeah... avoid that heartless doc like the plague!
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

linda.traxler
on 1/3/12 10:20 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Glad everything looks good but sorry doc was a jerk (no other words come to mind) insensitive prig maybe.  Geeesh.  Makes me wonder why certain people enter certain fields of medicine.

At least it's not long now!!

Best wishes,
Linda
RachelRN
on 1/4/12 12:08 am - Noblesville, IN
Thanks ladies! I actually got a pretty good night's sleep last night after a marathon of BH and am feeling pretty good today. This time is bittersweet because I am ready for my little one, but also trying to cherish every last bit of this last pregnancy. Good luck with you all too! :D
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1255 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 866 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1333 views