Glucose??

Becca R.
on 1/7/12 3:19 pm - WA
So I know its been posted on before but I cant find the old posts about it. My next appt is on the 13th and I think they are either gunna want me to have the test taken then or talk about it for my next one. What am I supposed to do since I am RNY and cant drink the obviously high sugar content soda drink. I just want to be prepaired to give my arguments if they try to bully me into drinking it since thats what the nurse was hinting at when I talked to her over the phone today. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!  
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
   Lilypie First Birthday tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
AmusedOne
on 1/7/12 9:22 pm - York, PA
I would buy a cheap glucomter - Walgreens/CVS now sell their own branded one -
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?fi lterBy=&skuId=235103&productId=235103&navAction=push&navCoun t=2&no_new_crumb=true

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?fi lterBy=&skuId=467554&productId=467554&navAction=push&navCoun t=3&no_new_crumb=true

They are $7 or $15 and come with 10 test strips, you can get additional strips but they are close to $20 - personally I would buy two fo the $7 meters - and for a few days test 2 hours after each meal...

Go in armed with your numbers - the doctor will more likely listen to you than the nurse on the phone... 

When I first found I was pregnant my PCP discovered high glucose (I was diabetic pre RNY) and put me on insulin, when I called and made my first OB appointment they had me go for the glucose test before I seen the doctor - worse thing I have ever done in my life.  Yet the first words out of the OB's mouth were, why did you have the glucose test -- Uhhh... Because YOUR nurse ordered it...  Uh... 

Live and learn... But I would give it a shot!
Angie
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/12 3:01 am - Woodbridge, VA
I declined the glucose testing. As already mentioned, I just test my levels at home myself with a glucometer (I was diabetic pre-op, so I already had one). I understad Walmart sells a cheap glucometer that comes with test strips (also as mentioned, the strips are the most expensive part). Talk to your OB about how often and how many tests she'd like you to check. I check some random fasting values (first thing in the morning before eating/drinking anything) and some 2-hour post-meal values (not every day, just sort of randomly).

I didn't have RNY - I had a DS - but that sugar drink would stull be a bad idea. I honestly can't imagine how it's a good idea for ANYONE, surgery or not!
hockeybabe2u
on 1/8/12 7:48 am - Allegan, MI
With both of my post-op pregnancies, I just went in the morning after fasting and had my blood drawn. I then went and ate a normal breakfast/lunch and went back 2 hours after I took my 1st bite and had my blood redrawn.....all came back good both times!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

mandajolyn
on 1/9/12 6:31 am - Tallahassee, FL
My OB had me go in 2 hours after starting a meal and it was fine.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

queenfairy
on 1/13/12 10:27 pm - midland, TX
RNY on 02/17/09 with
ok same here the tst besides making u sick is not accurate on us! i get my "test" in two weeks so i go in fasting get my blood drawn and go eat, come back 1hr later and get it retested...also remember we digest faster so two hrs is a little long...also my dr does the A1c test (i had diabetes before too) wish takes ur average for three months!! wish is the most accurate form for us...so really dont take it it will only make u sick with bad results! lol...and if he's in doubt tell his "nurses" to look it up just like my wonderful nurses do!! soo saying that good luck love! :)

TaNyA BeCeRrA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views