Dumping??

Becca R.
on 2/12/12 7:33 am - WA
So I haven't dumped (that I know of) because I could handle a moderate amount of sugar pre baby and being pregnant I can eat alot more than I would like to admit. when I do have sugar I stop myself before I feel sick and icky but have never felt any of the symptoms that correspond with dumping. That being said there has been three different instances while pregnant where I have felt this same pattern of "sickness" each time.

I feel like I get hit by a wave of dizziness and its hard to focus my thoughts or see straight. My whole body starts shaking and I feel jittery and heavy forcing me to go lay down for fear of falling over. All the while I am sweating like you would not believe and I feel like Im on fire. I try to grab something to nibble on or drink since my insides are telling me I must be lacking nutrients. and once I have a few bites I cool off and Im left shivering and drained from the whole experience.
and all I can do is lay there and rest for a good while before my strengh comes back.

Now some of the symptoms make me think it might be dumping but my only doubt is that it doesnt happen right after I eat sugar or at even a time when I feel I havent been eating enough. Usually it comes completely out of no where.. so I am thoroughly confused! I plan on talking to my OB about it but I thought I would check to see if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them and what you think it could be.
Thanks Ladies
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
   Lilypie First Birthday tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
hockeybabe2u
on 2/12/12 10:19 am - Allegan, MI
I've had this happen to me many times as well and haven't pin pointed out why it happens. I think it might be I get low on protein. I'm curious what your doctor will say when you ask as I would like to know the same answer for myself!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

jcheryld
on 2/12/12 10:26 am
Sounds exactly like what I experience when dumping. But now prego, even weird things set me off like cheese dip and the dumping syndromes last longer. I thought my heart was going to pound out of my chest last night and I'm sure baby was confused!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

mandajolyn
on 2/12/12 3:43 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Could it possibly be Reactive Hypoglycemia? Sounds a lot like what I've experienced. I am a dumper and it feels similar but different and comes on randomly, out of nowhere, sometimes hours after I've eaten, or if I haven't eaten in a while. I get really warm, lightheaded, heart pounding, disoriented and can't focus my thoughts, shaky and there have been times when my vision gets fuzzy and I feel heavy and I've blacked out a few times. Once I eat something I usually feel drained the rest of the day. It happened in the store once and DH said I got spacey, couldn't form a complete sentence but was trying to communicate something and I wandered off and ended up in the isle with the protein bars.
I talked to my surgeon and primary and both confirmed it's RH. I was given a glucose monitor and when the episodes happen they want me to take my blood sugar or have DH help me. Sure enough my blood sugar was 40 the last time I had an episode. They aren't sure if it's pregnancy related because it never happened pre pregnancy. It's not uncommon after WLS to have it.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

hockeybabe2u
on 2/12/12 10:27 pm - Allegan, MI
So does this have to do with elavated sugar?  You said you have to take your blood sugar and I'm assuming 40 is high.  What do you need to do to feel better?  This also happens to me time to time and I try to eat something with protein or carbs (like crackers) and after about a half hour to an hour, I start to feel better.  Mine comes on randomly as well and I thought it was either dumping from sugar or eating sugar or being low on protien!

nkjanes78
on 2/12/12 10:51 pm - Norfolk, VA
 40 is VERY LOW, a fasting sugar in the AM after not eating should be around 75 so if your sugar is 40 your feeling pretty yucky. sweats, shaky, dizzy, nauseaous amd like your gonna pass out.

mandajolyn
on 2/12/12 11:33 pm - Tallahassee, FL
40 is very low! My blood sugar is dropping when this happens and eating something like peanut butter crackers or something with protein usually helps. I carry PB crackers or peanuts with me now.
The feeling is very similar to dumping but it usually happens if I haven't eaten in a few hours as when I dump, the reaction is within 10-15 min of eating to much sugar. With dumping my blood sugar is elevated.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

hockeybabe2u
on 2/13/12 1:13 am - Allegan, MI
Thanks for the info!

linda.traxler
on 2/12/12 5:29 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Sounds more like reactive hypoglycemia.  Especially if eating a few bites helps it start to resolve!  Hope you get some answers from your doc, and please let us know, I'd be curious to know what s/he thinks!
twert80
on 2/13/12 12:45 am
Def. R.H.....this comes on mostly due to not eating a balanced meal......your meals should consist of Protien and complex cards (veggies) if you have high starchy veggies (taters and corn) they would be considered simple carbs.  What happens simple carbs convert to sugar causing your blood sugar to spike (go high) and if you dont have enough protein in you to level it out you will drop rapidly and develope those symptoms.  This could also occur after eating say a candy bar for a snack (or any high sugar product) and nothing else with real nutritional value.  When you develope these symptoms if you have a glucometer  check you blood sugar it most likely will be below 60.  For your snack to get it back up you will want something to get the number up fast (O.J. or small amt of sugary candy) and then some sort of protien like PB on crackers and a small cup of milk.  Carbs will get your sugar up but protien will maintain your blood sugar.  Bottom line pay attention to your diet if you have prob with RH the best thing to do is really limit you intake of simple carbs.  Good Luck

Tiff
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1239 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 861 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views