Progesterone Injections from week 16-36

teresa79
on 2/16/12 11:30 am - Fowler, IN
My OB is having me get weekly progesterone injections until I am 36 weeks. I am now 17 weeks. He says it's because of my past history because my membranes ruptured with my son at 22 weeks gestation back in 1998. I wasn't put on any injections with my daughter who I gave birth to in January 2011.? My water broke naturally at 38 weeks with her. Has anyone here had these injections? He says that the injections will be sent to my home and that when they come in the OB nurse will either show me or a family member how to give them. I'm kind of nervous. She also said that she would do them for me if I came into the office once a week, however my OB office is over an hour trip away one way. I'm not complaining about getting injections and I will do anything to prevent pre term labor, I'm just wondering why all of the sudden it's a problem? Is there any known side effects? Thanks Ladies.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Maternity tickers
nicole W.
on 2/17/12 2:33 am - Bismarck, ND
 Not sure about during this stage of pregnancy, but I did these for 10 weeks after IVF. As for side effects, basically the same as being pregnant ie: sore breasts, bloating, mild cramping feeling, emotional. If it is the progesterone in oil, it comes in a thick liquid that requires a large needle and needs to go into a big muscles, such as your buttocks. I found that if I iced before and then heat after, it wasn't that big of a deal. I actually gave myself the shots. If you do it yourself or have someone else do it, don't go slow! Hold it like a dart and get it right in or it does hurt. Good luck!

2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
Jennifer H.
on 2/17/12 4:19 am - stockton, CA
I get them I started them at 16 weeks and will get them tell 36 weeks as well.Side effects for me the only thing I dont like is they sting for few hours after thats about all got them with twins and no effects for them as well.Mine are sent here to  my home but I have a home nurse that comes in and does them because Im on bed rest.Its a thick shot have to go slow with them my husband was going to do them last time but I said no after getting first one the stuff was so thick.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

MusicMaryn
on 2/17/12 6:01 am - San Jose, CA
I had them for 12 wks w/my IVF (all through 1st trimester.)  It's a long needle shot in the muscle above the butt.  My DW administered them nightly for the first 6 weeks and then weekly for 6 more weeks.  it just helps the uterus lining do what it needs to do - thicken up and hold on to the precious one.  I didn't have any side effects other than the normal 1st trimester fun.  Oh... and after a while, the muscles where DW shot it into me were sore a lot.  It was a loooong needle that went directly into my muscle.  So soreness is expected.

Good luck and really... it's just a little pain and discomfort and what it helps to bring you is a healthy baby!
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lexa321
on 2/19/12 8:14 am - weston, FL

the p-17 shots?.. i refused them.. its a 50/50 chance it will help... usually by 16 weeks your cervix will decide on what its going to do...(not including a spontanious infection).. if you show signs of pre term labor then by all means- but make sure you do your research

trish419
on 2/20/12 3:36 am
I had to have progesterone also but it was given to me in a compound wax that was inserted vaginally everyday.... I did not have any side effects.... But once a week sounds great... instead of every day.

good luck....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1289 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 884 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1359 views