BFP and only 4 months out RNY

Brandi S.
on 2/20/12 7:12 am - TX
Today I decided to take a test bc I am 4 days late. My husband even made bets on my being preg. Sure enough, BFP. I'm still in shock and not quite sure what to do. My surgeon's office was closed today for the holiday but I still left a message for them to call me back ASAP. I had a ruptured ectopic preg last yr in March so I'm going to get in to my OB as soon as I can. This just seems so unreal for me since I have been on BC and only have one fallopian tube. But, when the Lord decides it's time, it's time. Any advise? Anyone had this happen to them this early out?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
(deactivated member)
on 2/20/12 9:00 am - Woodbridge, VA
What BC were you on? We can't rely on the pill since it could be partially malabsorbed.

Find an OB who will work with you (or with you and your surgeon's office or PCP) to make SURE you have full labs run regularly. You should have a set run NOW to get a baseline of where you stand, and, because you're SO early out from surgery, I would recommend labs every 30-45 days throughout your pregnancy.
Brandi S.
on 2/21/12 7:42 am - TX
I was taking Tri-Sprintec. I started taking it a few months before surgery and I asked my surgeon about it. He said it would be ok. The part that disturbs me a bit is that when I called my surgeon to check to see if he had any suggestions, advise, etc, I was told to just take it easy, take my vitamins, stay hydrated and congratulations. They didn't seem concerned at all! I make my first OB appt for next Monday so I will discuss the situation with her then. She delivered a cpl of friends of mine who had RNY as well so I know she's experienced in this. Just keeping my fingers crossed everything ok. I have waited so long and I know this will be hard but I'm in it to do whatever I need to so we have a healthy baby

** August *.
on 2/20/12 9:35 am - Newmarket, Canada
Hi Brandi,

I have never been in your situation, however I wish you all of the best. I have seen similar stories on here, so I want you to know your not alone. There have been many who have been very sucuessful this early out of their surgery, but one thing I learned from their stories it was not easy.. but well worth the ride!!!

All my best!
Carrie
All my best in your journey!

Carrie

Brandi S.
on 2/21/12 7:44 am - TX
Thanks for the encouragement Carrie! It's nice to have ppl be positive. I had one (now former friend) suggest abortion cuz "it's just not worth the risk"

Thinking lots of positive thoughts over here :)

omma24
on 2/21/12 8:00 am
Congrats!  Wow..I am surprised at the reaction from your surgeon.  I just contacted my surgeon and they sent me info on what to do.  Continue all my vits AND take the prenatals.  Be certain to eat my protein first and additional protein starting with 2nd trimester.  Keep exercising, etc.  I am a year and half out from surgery though.  The paperwork says if you are less than a year out from surgery to be certain to see the bariatric surgeon immediately for more extensive follow up in addition to seeing the ob.  I hope you get the care you need and that all goes well.  You will probably need extra bloodwork to be certain that you are absorbing the proper amounts of vitamins.  
ochikezie
on 2/21/12 8:19 am - Essex, MD
OH YES HUN I WAS PREGGOS THE FIRST TIME AFTER 4MONTHSPOST OP. I GOT THE SAME ADVCE FROM SURGEON THAT YOU DID. HE TOLD ME TO MAKE SURE I KEEP TAKING ALL MY VITAMINS, EAT WELL, AND TAKE IT EASY. MY PREGNANCY WAS UNEVENTFUL AND MY SON IS HEALTHY. I HAD LOST 80LBS AND STAYED THAT WEIGHT FOR THE ENTIRE PREGNANCY. YOU'LL BE JUST FINE WISH YOU AN UNEVENTFUL PREGNANCY AND BIRTH AS WELL GOD BLESS.
Brandi S.
on 2/21/12 11:54 am - TX
It's nice to hear I'm not alone. Thanks so much!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1335 views